PDA

View Full Version : D'Aquisto Strings -- Who uses them?

Bernie Daniel
Feb-13-2011, 11:31am
Just wondering. Search on "D'Aquisto" did not get a hit on archives.....

I've always been a D'Addario advocate for mandolin strings.

But last week I notice a just a hint of deformation starting under the bridge of my 1920 F-2. It had a set of D'Addario J74's on at the time so I decided I'd switch over to the lighter gauge J62's. To save you time of looking it up:

J74 E = 0.010" A = 0.015" D = 0.026" G = 0.040"
J62 E = 0.010" A = 0.014" D = 0.024" G = 0.034"

But while rummaging around in a box of new string sets that I have accumulated over the years I came across a two sets of D'Aquisto M21's. These are loop-end, phosphor-bronze strings with exactly the same gauges in the set as the D'Addario J62's. (I think I bought these at an auction some years ago?)

So I put them on the F-2 just to try them out and was very pleased with the results.

Of course they produce a bit less volume than the heavier gauge J74's but the tone and character of the sound they produce is wonderful. The notes are clear with a bell-like chime. Open chords just ring for ever with a lovely sustain.

Likewise, since the total pressure at pitch is nearly 40 lbs less (144 lbs v 182 lbs) the slight deformation seen with heavier strings is completely gone. I suppose some of the difference in tone could bet due to the top plate of the mandolin being more as it was designed to be of course -- but regardless these are really nice strings.

I'll be curious to see how D'Addario J62's compare to them next time I change strings.

Wondering if other use them routinely?

Jim Garber
Feb-13-2011, 1:18pm
There are only a handful of string companies in the US at the moment and, tho I am not 100% sure, i would think that D'Aquisto strings are made by one of them, possibly D'Addario, Martin/Darco or GHS. This is just -- if someone knows better let us know. They would just have other companies make them to their specs and sell them with their packaging.

Bernie Daniel
Feb-13-2011, 4:03pm
There are only a handful of string companies in the US at the moment and, tho I am not 100% sure, i would think that D'Aquisto strings are made by one of them, possibly D'Addario, Martin/Darco or GHS. This is just -- if someone knows better let us know. They would just have other companies make them to their specs and sell them with their packaging.

Your comment motivated me to do a little looking into that. They have a web site and a facility apparently:
D'Aquisto Strings, Inc
20 E Industry Ct.
Deer Park NY 11729
Fax: 631.586.4472
E-Mail: sales@daquisto.com

From the web site: "In the early 1990s, D'Aquisto teamed up with businessman and guitar afficionado Theodore Krause to form D'Aquisto Strings. James had for years suffered through trying to find strings worthy of his gutiars and when that proved impossible, he knew he had to make his own. D'Aquisto was involved from the very beginning, making sure that every step of the manufacturing process met his exacting standards. The result was sets of strings he was proud to put on his magnificent instruments."

The site is pretty bare on details -- nothing about the factory and so forth. But they have a catalog (http://www.daquisto.com/images/catalog.pdf).

In addition, they sell a second heavier gauge set. M22's, that are identical in the 4 string sizes to the D'Addario J74. So, that would seem to support your idea that their M21's are merely repackaged A'ddario J62's (or some other companies strings)?

However, then on the Just Strings site I found this statement (http://www.juststrings.com/daq-m-23.html):

"D'Aquisto Strings are manufactured in our own factory by our own machines. What does this mean? It means that we not only wind our own strings, we also build the machinery on which the strings are wound. Our machinery is fully automated and state-of-the-art so that each string is made exactly the same every time."

So maybe they are one of those string manufacturers still in business after all?

Jim Garber
Feb-13-2011, 4:34pm
That is interesting. Maybe there are a few more companies out there than meet the eye? Interesting. BTW I know that laBella (E & O Mari) is another string maker.

i-vibe
Feb-14-2011, 6:22pm
i'm a fan and their M-22 set is one of several sets that find their way into my "string rotation". last week i installed a set on on my '87 FLATIRON A5JR and come to think of it i also have a set on my old beater Sekova.

here's another thread on the cafe about them: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?66267-D-AQUISTO-strings

i-vibe
Feb-14-2011, 6:28pm
if you look REAL close you'll find labels for sets of M-22 and for M-24 (stainless steel) ;)

and yes....still need more!

Willie Poole
Feb-14-2011, 7:49pm
I e mailed them a year or so ago and they told me they were originaly D`Angelico and just changed the name......BUT don`t make any bets on that....

I tried their strings when First Quality had them on sale real cheap and loved them for about two days and the A strings and E strings just went dead, and I do mean dead....BUT that may not happen to everyone.....

Willie

H.P.
Feb-14-2011, 11:49pm
Don Lange of Freeman and Lange played D'Aquistos on his Martin D-28 back in the late Sixties/early Seventies.

mandroid
Feb-15-2011, 1:32am
You Mean who that is famous uses them?

Shelagh Moore
Feb-15-2011, 5:46am
I used to use them regularly... I found the M22s and M21s similar to the equivalent D'Addarios (J74s and J62s for example) in tone but, in my experience at least, with better quality control (I had a long run of dud D'Addario strings but no problems with the D'Aquistos). I always understood, as mentioned above, that they had their own factory. Currently, I've switched to flatwounds for both of my mandolins.

Dan Margolis
Feb-15-2011, 9:14am
I use them, but not on my mandolin. I have a Guild Artist Award carved archtop guitar and I usually use D'Aquisto nickel strings. They have good tone and last a long time.

Randy Smith
Feb-15-2011, 8:38pm
Bernie,

Since you've used and liked J74s, you might try D'Addario J73s just for comparision with the J62s and with the D'Aquistos. J73s are phosphor as are the 74s. The difference is that the J73s have the same guages as the lighter J62s *except* for the G string. (The J73 G is .038, which is heavier than the J62 but lighter than the 74.) If you like the sound of the 74s, the 73s might be the right tension for your F2.

Bernie Daniel
Feb-16-2011, 11:51pm
Bernie,

Since you've used and liked J74s, you might try D'Addario J73s just for comparision with the J62s and with the D'Aquistos. J73s are phosphor as are the 74s. The difference is that the J73s have the same guages as the lighter J62s *except* for the G string. (The J73 G is .038, which is heavier than the J62 but lighter than the 74.) If you like the sound of the 74s, the 73s might be the right tension for your F2.

Interesting idea. I do indeed like D'Addario strings as well. On my Sam Bush mandolin I use J75's --and generally J74's on my A9. I have a bowl back that I use J62's on as well.

I'm not sure I even knew there was a set called J73! I know I've never seen them for sale. Do you get them directly from D'Addario? Actually I am very pleased with the M21's and was thinking of trying a set of J62's that I have had for a while in my string box.

Randy Smith
Feb-23-2011, 7:30pm
Interesting idea. I do indeed like D'Addario strings as well. On my Sam Bush mandolin I use J75's --and generally J74's on my A9. I have a bowl back that I use J62's on as well.

I'm not sure I even knew there was a set called J73! I know I've never seen them for sale. Do you get them directly from D'Addario? Actually I am very pleased with the M21's and was thinking of trying a set of J62's that I have had for a while in my string box.

I've ordered J-73s from the places on the Cafe that sell strings--Just Strings,e.g.