PDA

View Full Version : finaly

Km1000seth
Feb-15-2004, 8:24pm
Finaly,

I filled out my order form, and Ill put it in the mail first thing in the morning to get my first siminoff kit.WAHOOO #cant wait to see it. Ill keep every body posted on the progress, it should be in in three weeks.

# # # # # # # # # # Seth
(the more strings one can play at a time the higher one's IQ) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Yonkle
Feb-17-2004, 12:25am
Great: Keep me posted. I am working with his products too right now. I'll do a few pic later. I got the body done and the binding on. I was'nt real pleased with the wood at first site, but after getting it together and sanding it down, it looks great. I got the headstock bound this weekend, and will start inlay work this week. JD

seneca
Feb-17-2004, 11:10am
I received my kit from Siminoff a couple weeks ago and I'm very pleased with the quality of wood/materials. I've built from the Stew-mac kits and the Siminoff is every bit as good. I ordered custom walnut sides and a walnut neck. Roger was very easy to deal with and adding custom items was no problem for him. I'm still waiting for the new book to arrive, but the wood was great. Can't wait to get going.

Cheers

minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carbornata descendum pantorum

Yonkle
Feb-17-2004, 11:57am
I got 150 hour in so far with the Siminoff wood. Here is the 1 piece Maple back, and the binding in.

Yonkle
Feb-17-2004, 11:59am
Binding in. The body binding is fairly easy, the scroll area and the points take some time, but the peghead is a pain to bind with those tight curves.

pathazzard
Feb-18-2004, 3:00pm
I got 150 hour in so far with the Siminoff wood. Here is the 1 piece Maple back, and the binding in.
Yonkle, how thick are your graduations on the top? What's not included in the Siminoff kit and what's it cost? Did you use the inside clamping form like he does? I built a form like that and couldn't get it to clamp uniformly.

Km1000seth
Feb-18-2004, 6:27pm
I know your not askin me but i ordered my siminoff kit a few hours ago. and i paid $554.00 for: a german spruce top, high figure back and sides, scrolls carved, and the dovetail cut.
I also had the headstock left as a blank.

Yonkle
Feb-19-2004, 1:31am
I got a Adirondak Red Spruce top and a 1 piece maple back so I paid a bit more, and I ordered the body assembly mold for the sides, can use it again on another mandolin. I sent off about 600 bucks. I got my tuners,bridge,binding, tailpiece from Stew Mac.
Roger Does the graduations on the inside of the front and back to Loar specs. So I just need to finish the outside thickness. It needs to be a bit thinner in the minimun area still, I have'nt done that yet. JD
As far as what Does Not come in the kit, you can get everything you need from Roger except, finishing supplies, fret wire, and tools of course. I did'nt like the binding he sent, and did'nt care for his tuners and tailpiece, so I went Stew Mac there. I did get his bridge, which looks just like the Randy Wood bridge I have on my other F5 (minus the pat#) You can get whatever you want form him, you don't have to order the whole kit.