PDA

View Full Version : Loar LM-600-VS

Mandohak
Feb-12-2011, 10:39pm
Hello Im a new hack on the block. Im basiclly a beginner looking for a decent mandolin. I have my eye on buying a Loar LM-600-VS. The music store I visited didnt have one in stock. They only had the LM-500. They tried to talk me out of the 600 because of the extra neck thickness. Does anyone have any experience with this mandolin. How much thicker is it? I believe this new LM-600 is a replica of and old Loyd Loar?? Apperrantly the necks were thicker back in the day. Any input would appreciated.

dcoventry
Feb-12-2011, 11:20pm
The 600 would be an excellent beginner mando. The 500 less so. If you can afford the 600, do so. It will be money well spent.

Ron McMillan
Feb-12-2011, 11:46pm
Folk with experience of the The Loars are unanimous about the giant gulf in quality between the 500 and the 600, so it would almost certainly not be advisable to let yourself get talked into buying the 500.

Other very expert voices here talk extremely highly of the A series instruments from the same company. the LM 220, LM 300 and LM 400 all get very good reviews, and might be worth considering if you aren't especially determined to spend a third of your budget on a scroll that makes zero difference to the sound of the instrument. It is at the budget end of the market that the cost of the scroll is most significant, so if your funds are limited, and you want the most bang for your buck, an A instrument is the way to go.

ron

dcoventry
Feb-13-2011, 2:41am
What Ron said is good advice. Buy as much as you feel you can afford, and then procede to play the sh*t out of it and enjoy!

Big Joe
Feb-13-2011, 9:24am
I won't stock an LM500. I don't have anything against them, but for a little more you get a LOT more mandolin. I would say don't waste your money on the 500. The LM 520 is a good place to begin. It is essentially an LM 600 with less binding and not quite a fancy, but it is hand carved and decent wood. They sound very good and with a good setup would be a good mandolin. They are a big step up from the LM500. The 520 is a new model and I just saw my first ones at SPBGMA.

Mandohak
Feb-13-2011, 10:01am
Thanks for the advise. I'm now glad I didn't pull the trigger on the 500! Has anyone had any feedback on the thicker neck on the LM-600? Since Ive only played for a few months on a cheapo "ashville". I Kind think it would'nt affect me much if any??

dcoventry
Feb-13-2011, 10:17am
With all the neck width/depth issues it's just matter of getting used to it. Fret size, too. You may find you can't tolerate it. Make sure there is a return policy and operate within those guidelines.

hank
Feb-13-2011, 11:06am
How about this? Ad Number: 45885

Brent Hutto
Feb-13-2011, 11:17am
Surely someone has jumped on that $400 LM-600 by now...a few dings not withstanding that is a very attractive price.

Stefan Netsman
Feb-14-2011, 1:58am
Personally,as a guitarist turned mandoman, the extra thickness of the neck is one of the things I like the most on my LM-600.

Fstpicker
Feb-14-2011, 3:25am
Personally,as a guitarist turned mandoman, the extra thickness of the neck is one of the things I like the most on my LM-600.

Ditto to all of the above!

Jeff

Big Joe
Feb-14-2011, 7:15am
Those who have not been playing mandolin for a long time usually like the larger neck of the Loars. Especially those coming from guitar. If you have played mandolin for awhile you may prefer a bit smaller neck, however, a good luthier can reshape the neck to make it far more comfortable. It is always easier to remove excess wood than to add wood.

bobbyburns
Feb-14-2011, 1:33pm
While I almost universally agree with Big Joe, I'll respectfully disagree on this one point. I've been playing mando for around 35 years, and my hand cramps up with a small neck. I like the neck on the early Gibsons, but a loar era Gibson is a lot less comfortable to my taste. The big neck is a plus on "The Loar" mandos (they're not really that big!). I'd also agree to stay away from the LM-500. The new LM-520 is less money, and a nicer mando. The Savannah SF-200 is also made in the same shop as the nicer Loars (the only Savannah made in the same shop), and is also a better mandolin than the Loar LM-500.

Yukon
Feb-15-2011, 1:32pm
:mandosmiley:I just got a new Loar LM-600 (black) with the thicker neck. It took about 5 minutes of picking to decide I like the feel. I also have a Kentucky KM 850 and a Godin electric both with thin necks. The transition was no problem. By the way , the LM 600 is a really great mandolin