PDA

View Full Version : What is the significance of the two point mandolin?

darylcrisp
Feb-11-2011, 7:08pm
is it just a style/shape difference or is there a sound difference?
i think they look really cool-fwiw

thanks
daryl

Magnus Geijer
Feb-11-2011, 7:28pm
Any change in the wood will make a change in tone, but the shape in itself shouldn't have a noticeable impact. The below two were made very similarly, from very similar wood, with the shape being the only real difference, and they sound very similar.

/Magnus

John Soper
Feb-11-2011, 7:33pm
It's all in the eye of the beholder :-)

Scotti Adams
Feb-11-2011, 8:09pm
Looks

Douglas McMullin
Feb-11-2011, 8:44pm
Just like the points and scroll on an F, the two points are primarily for looks.

barney 59
Feb-11-2011, 9:48pm
Jethro played one.

mrmando
Feb-11-2011, 10:09pm
If you can get it in the basket from beyond 23 feet, 9 inches, it's a 3-point mandolin.

Toycona
Feb-11-2011, 11:26pm
I find them visually striking. Here's a photo of my new hatchet...
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=67526

John Soper
Feb-11-2011, 11:35pm
Toycona: Nice!

Toycona
Feb-12-2011, 12:08am
It's a keeper, for sure. You can check out other picures and a couple of sound files in lotsa other places on the cafe (overkill on my part), but I'm very happy with it. Easy playing, nice, ringing tone, and beautiful to look at. Jonathan Mann is just that...the mann.

darylcrisp
Feb-12-2011, 12:09am
Toycona: Nice!

i second that-very cool looking mandolin!

what is the top wood and the back/sides(post more pictures if you don't mind)

daryl

oh, and thanks folks for the replies

Ed Goist
Feb-12-2011, 12:12am
That Mann 2-Pointer is a real beauty...Sounds good too!

Toycona
Feb-12-2011, 12:27am
Here's the link to the other 2 Pointer forum. The pictures are there, along with dozens of other killer instruments.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?66939-2-Point-Mandolins

My 2 point 'love at first strum' moment was at the Healdsburg Guitar festival 2 years ago when I met Austin Clark and got to noodle fora few minutes on a sweet looking/sounding two pointer. If I could have afforded it then, I would have it with me now. I've since come to my senses and realized that there are a ton of great (and more affordable) luthiers out there. I stumbled upon Jonathan Mann in December when he was advertising a 2 point black top. I knew I had the right guy. Though he had sold the black top to someone else, he had 2 others in the pipeline, so I committed to this one - curly maple back and sides with a maple "neck through" design (check out his website for other great photos of all of his instruments with this feature). Mine also has a red spruce top and cocobolo fretboard/peghead. the points are also capped in cocobolo, a very nice detail. Antique honey/amber finish to the top with a matte finish elsewhere.