PDA

View Full Version : Commodium vs National RM1 vs Sobell vs Gibson Snakehead

liestman
Feb-11-2011, 3:19pm
I have made a simple sound comparison of these four instruments and built a little webpage around it. In short, I recorded each one after another, playing as identically as I could, with no pick or equalization or volume setting changes. I hope you enjoy it!

The page is here:

http://www.liestman.com/4Mandos.htm

MONami
Feb-11-2011, 5:04pm
Thanks for that. I have been mulling the Commodium, RM1, and old Gibsons. This helped eliminate one of them anyway.
And your playing wan't too shabby either.

tburcham
Feb-11-2011, 7:59pm
The RM-1 wins this battle...if there was one. I thought it sounded great! I am biased aa a former RM-1 owner.

dcoventry
Feb-11-2011, 8:16pm
This was informative, not a competition. The information I got out of this is that the RM-1 is one bad a** mando style instrument. Day-um, that's a spicy meatball.

Dave

Keith Cary
Feb-11-2011, 8:28pm
Nice stuff, John! Man, and you whip on these things. That's a hard tune, though a favorite.

liestman
Feb-11-2011, 8:32pm
Definitely not a competition. They all have their special place and each win in one or more categories.

strings777
Feb-12-2011, 12:59pm
I really liked your Sobell a lot, what is it made of...it looks like mahogany?

liestman
Feb-13-2011, 4:28am
Strings777, the Sobell has a red cedar top, mahogany neck, Indian rosewood back and sides. It is one of the older large bodied ones and has the usual very wide neck. It is a keeper for sure.

F-2 Dave
Feb-15-2011, 4:44pm
Interesting. I prefer the sound of the snakehead, although it lacks the volume of the RM-1 or the Sobell. But hey, that's just me.

MONami
Feb-15-2011, 9:00pm
Interesting. I prefer the sound of the snakehead, although it lacks the volume of the RM-1 or the Sobell. But hey, that's just me.

The Gibson did have the best tone of the group, I agree.

bmac
Feb-16-2011, 8:21am
Very interesting experiment, I learned something anyway, and will be listening more to reinforce my opinion.

Well presented.

Randi Gormley
Feb-16-2011, 9:18am
I was surprised how much I liked the national -- listened to the four-in-a-row blind, then went back to see which one I preferred as an overall sound and suddenly began re-arranging my (mental) preferences to match with reality. Thanks!