PDA

View Full Version : My upgrade from the Savannah SF-100

lukmanohnz
Feb-10-2011, 11:46pm
It didn't take long for me to outgrow my pretty little Savannah plywood starter mandolin - received as a Christmas gift, er, last December. That would be December 2010, less than two months ago, my wife - giver of said gift - was quick to point out. I am lucky to live near Tall Toad in Petaluma, CA, which stocks a nice assortment of Eastman, Weber, MK, Gibson, and a plethora of vintage and antique mandolins. They also have a large number of used and collectible mandolins on consignment from none other than David Grisman, who lives nearby. I've been eyeing a nice Weber Gallatin for the last couple of weeks (brand new, but built before they switched from mahogany to maple on this model) that plays like butter and has a nice woody tone. I sold some unused gear in anticipation of buying an all-solid wood mandolin that would last me a lifetime. I was set to buy the Weber today, but when I arrived at the store my friend who works there told me he thought I should check out a used mandolin from the collection in the upstairs glass case that was only slightly more expensive than the Weber. I did - it is the mandolin in the pictures attached. My friend and I sat in a quiet room and A-B'd the Weber and Capek back and forth. There really was no comparison. And this is not to cast any aspersions whatsoever on the Weber Gallatin which is really a lovely player. But this Capek - it's on another level entirely. Wide open tone, oodles of chop, and if the Weber plays like butter, this thing plays like... well... WD-40?... I dunno how to describe it. It's un-put-down-able.

After a few minutes back and forth from the Weber to the Capek, my buddy went back to the glass case and pulled out a Gibson F-5. I don't know which model exactly, I was too google-eyed in curly maple to notice. I did see the price tag - over $8,000. (That was the store's 'discounted' price.) Having played mandolin all of 7 weeks now (I'm a 35 year veteran of the guitar - just never got around to the mandolin before) I couldn't believe I was holding an actual Gibson F-5 in my hands. We A-B'd the Gibson and Capek back and forth. That was fun, though my fumbling fingers couldn't do either instrument justice. The Gibson was incredible to behold, though I have to say the Capek was set up better (as a used instrument on consigment from DG himself should be). I could tell the Gibson would blossom into a much more sophisticated tonal stratosphere than the Capek, but I don't have the wherewithal to fill that $6000 gap. Nor do I have any business owning such a stunning instrument as that - it should - and hopefully will - be in the hands of someone capable of creating the art it was made to manifest.

The store owner CALLED DG WHILE I WAS PLAYING HIS CAPEK to ask if he would shave anything off his asking price, and came back upstairs to tell me he'd take $150 off. He needn't have - I was already sold. I found Capek's web site, and determined that the mandolin I now own is described by the builder as a 'beginner/student' model. It is more mandolin than I deserve to own at this early stage in my skill development. But I am thrilled that I have the means to afford it, a loving wife who's only response to my buying it is happiness for me, a locally owned music store that has managed to stay in business in the face of growing competition from online retailers and the worst recession in recent history, and two healthy hands to play it. And David - if you're out there reading this - thank you so very, very much for giving me the opportunity to own such an incredible instrument for such an affordable price relative to its workmanship, quality of materials, and tone. To me this is well beyond a beginner model - this is likely the last mandolin I will ever own.

Dave Weiss
Feb-11-2011, 1:09am
That's not a step up from your Savannah, that's a quantum leap. Very, very nice, good for you. for the find, the deal and an understanding wife.

lukmanohnz
Feb-11-2011, 8:04am
Thanks for your kind comments. I would have to agree regarding the quantum leap. The other great thing about having the Capek is that the Savannah now becomes my beach mandolin. And my son took no time in deciding that he can now grab the Savannah out of its case to noodle on it any time he wants - which is fine by me, so long as he keeps his hands off the Capek!

And here are a couple other pics I meant to attach to the original post but overlooked.

strings777
Feb-11-2011, 9:01am
Very nice mandolin and a cool story!:)

albeham
Feb-11-2011, 9:06am
hey can your wife talk to mine...Please.....

That's nice...AL

Steve Sorensen
Feb-11-2011, 9:31am
Really very beautiful. Cool story too.
Steve

lukmanohnz
Feb-16-2011, 7:30am
One more shot of the back for anyone interested in this builder. I've been playing my Capek for about a week now, and I am very, very happy with it. I have noticed that a few of the lower frets need to be replaced. Someone played the heck out of this thing before parting with it....

ColdBeerGoCubs
Feb-18-2011, 11:09am
Very nice mando and quite a cool story. You should have told the owner not to drop the $150 bucks, but only if you could have gotten a lesson from the Dawgman.

Tracey
Feb-18-2011, 11:15am
Better yet, see if the Dawg will sign it.....

Rick Schmidlin
Feb-18-2011, 11:19am
Nice read, thank you.

lukmanohnz
Feb-18-2011, 7:57pm
Oh wow - why didn't I think of that??? I'm going back over to Tall Toad this weekend to help a friend shop for an acoustic guitar. I'll see if I can work something out ;-)

lukmanohnz
Feb-18-2011, 8:10pm
That's a good suggestion as well. Though I've never been a big fan of autographs on instruments. I currently own a Roscoe Beck Signature 5-string electric bass that has a decal of his (Roscoe's, not Dawg's) signature on the headstock. It's a great bass - but I could have done without the signature decal. Even if I met him personally I'd have him sign a CD before signing on my bass.

I actually had a very close encounter with Dawg many, many years ago. I went to see The Tony Rice Unit at a very small church in Menlo Park back in the late 80's. This was my first exposure to newgrass, so I didn't know the players and personalities at that time. My friend who brought me to the concert was already a huge fan of the genre. Soon after we took our seats, my friend turned to me and said, "don't turn around, but I think David Grisman just sat down right behind us." Of course I instinctively swiveled my head 180 degrees and David Grisman was right behind me, and he smiled and said hello. Of course, it could have been anyone - I had no idea what he looked like. Mid-way through the first set, Tony Rice announced that a special friend was in the audience who would come up and join the Unit for a few songs. Dawg got up from the seat right behind me and walked up on stage (which was all of 12 feet away from where we sat) and we were witness to an amazing cutting contest between Dawg and the mandolinist in Tony's Unit (sorry but I am not sure who that was - I'm sure one of you regulars here would know). That concert got me hooked on bluegrass and newgrass, though here it is 20-odd years later (and some of them have really been odd years, let me tell you!) and I'm finally taking up the mandolin!