PDA

View Full Version : Check out the wood on this new Gibson

Scott Tichenor
Feb-10-2011, 5:34pm
Some of you probably saw that a couple of new Gibson mandolins have left Nashville since last year's flooding. I was talking to Jeff Sullivan today and he mentioned he had one coming and that it had some spectacular wood. Pictures, I asked? I liked what I saw and asked him if it would be OK to share this and he agreed. This one I understand is still in Nashville and is not yet done but appears it will be in the near future. I wish Gibson well in getting back into mandolin production. This is sure a beautiful piece of wood to my eyes. Also, I have no information on this one--sorry about that. I had just asked Jeff to send me some photos and decided to share.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-10-2011, 5:34pm
and...

300win
Feb-10-2011, 5:43pm
Don't believe I've ever seen that much figure on a F5G, the neck is even rolling in it.

JEStanek
Feb-10-2011, 6:01pm
Talk about rising from the ashes. Well done Team Gibson.

Jamie

Chris Biorkman
Feb-10-2011, 7:08pm
Don't believe I've ever seen that much figure on a F5G, the neck is even rolling in it.

Probably trying to make an emphatic statement. Nothing says "I'm back" like ridiculously figured maple. :)

Jim DeSalvio
Feb-10-2011, 7:09pm
That really looks stunning! Good luck to Gibson.

Elliot Luber
Feb-10-2011, 9:06pm
A lot of the old Loars I've seen (mostly on the Cafe) seem to use fairly plain, less figured wood by today's standards. Today, if they used that kind of wood folks would accuse them of cheapening their line. This is the opposite of course. They're doing some fine work down in Nashvhille with some high quality stock there, and I wish them well in their recovery from the flood losses... and I wish I had the cash to buy of these fine American instruments for myself.

Steve-o
Feb-10-2011, 9:22pm
Wow, very nice figure in that one. Nice to see Gibson back in the game. Thanks for sharing the pic Scott.

GRW3
Feb-10-2011, 9:51pm
This is great. It's really important for our group. It's important to me even though I have never played one that spoke to me it would be a shame if I never got the chance.

Mike Snyder
Feb-10-2011, 10:10pm
Alot of the older Gs, including mine, have a darker stain which did little to draw out nice flame. That new one has much more of a honey golden hue. Very pretty.

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-11-2011, 12:47am
That has to be the most 'modern' looking Gibson i've ever seen. Lots of top builders use such woods,but Gibson have always seemed to go for much less highly figured woods. It certainly look superb,but personally, i'd have prefered to have had the back edge bound as well as the top,or, have the top edge bound with Maple binding. Having said that, i wish i could spend a few hours with it,
Ivan

Kevin K
Feb-11-2011, 8:48am
I played #3 built after the flood at SPBGMA, a custom F-5G, beautiful woods, great quality and the sound is there. Great works folks at Gibson. I've seen some pictures here from mandolin store and looks like the other news ones are as good if not maybe even better.

Rick Schmidlin
Feb-11-2011, 8:54am
I am glad I ordered mt Red Diamond so I have no more Loar lust MAS

300win
Feb-11-2011, 10:52am
Just looked at the Janet Davis email newsletter. They're saying they are getting two new F5Gs from Gibson soon, both with "highly flamed maple" this might be one of them maybe. Special price is listed at $4599.00. there.

barry k
Feb-11-2011, 10:58am
It is great to see them recover from this and bounce back better then ever.