PDA

View Full Version : Bowlback mandolin: c. 1920, f-hole, blue/green label.

Ed Goist
Feb-10-2011, 2:38pm
A buddy of mine at work asked me about a mandolin that he thinks he's stored somewhere, years ago, but that he can't find now.

It belonged to his grandmother who got it around 1920. It has f-holes, and what he says is a very distinctive blue/green colored label that is visible through one of the the f-holes.

Of course, I told him that a definite ID would be next to impossible without pics, so he's going to search in the several places (different relative's houses) where it might be.

He's not interested in any appraisal, or resale, or anything. He thought he & I could fix it up, and play it around the office. (He's a fine musician, and a former symphony orchestra bass trombone player.)

Since he said that the label was so distinctive, I thought that the description might mean something to those of you who are so good at identifying these things.

Any ideas what it might be?

If it turns up, I'll be sure to post pictures (after I read the label! :) )

JEStanek
Feb-10-2011, 3:06pm
Merkel? (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?52936-Origin-of-quot-Noodling-Around-quot&p=688183&highlight=merkel#post688183) ;-)

Jamie

PS (this is an old joke)

mrmando
Feb-10-2011, 3:14pm
A bowlback with F holes is likely to be a Waldo, although not having beheld one in person I can't say anything about the color of the label.

Jim Garber
Feb-10-2011, 4:29pm
Waldo, yes! There were a few others but I have only seen them in catalogs. Possibly Vega but that would not have a blue label. I have label pics at home.

allenhopkins
Feb-10-2011, 4:40pm
From a cursory Google perusal, appears the better Waldos had "Waldo" inlaid on the headstock; the others had plain headstocks. I can't find a pic of the "Waldo" label (if there is one) inside the instrument.