PDA

View Full Version : Mowry F5, how does it stack up?

red7flag
Feb-05-2011, 8:12am
Having just gotten my Mowry GOM. And to borrow it you will have to pry my cold dead fingers from it. It has tone, tone and more tone. The workmanship is exceptional. The playability is superier. The set up was the best that I have encountered. Now my question, those of you that have played his F5s, how does it stack up with the big boys? I have no doubt about the playability and workmanship. How does the tone comparie?

John Kinn
Feb-05-2011, 9:45am
No anwer to your question,but how does it stack up with your Ellis 5F? (Both these mandolins are hard to come by in Norway).

yankees1
Feb-05-2011, 10:51am
Having just gotten my Mowry GOM. And to borrow it you will have to pry my cold dead fingers from it. It has tone, tone and more tone. The workmanship is exceptional. The playability is superier. The set up was the best that I have encountered. Now my question, those of you that have played his F5s, how does it stack up with the big boys? I have no doubt about the playability and workmanship. How does the tone comparie? I can tell from your thread that you have that "itch" again to add to your list ( MAS) !! :) Andrew is in the process of building me a long neck oval!

red7flag
Feb-05-2011, 4:55pm
I am really happy with my Ellis and Stanley. I love the GOM and just was extrapalating on how his F5 would sound. My next is already spoken for, an F4 by Gail Hester.

trevor
Feb-06-2011, 6:32am
I have Ellis and Mowry F5s in stock. I won't be in my store until Tuesday and would prefer to comment from a proper A/B not memory so I will post a report then.

yankees1
Feb-06-2011, 7:08am
I am really happy with my Ellis and Stanley. I love the GOM and just was extrapalating on how his F5 would sound. My next is already spoken for, an F4 by Gail Hester. If I add another to my list, it will be spelled DIVORCE !

yankees1
Feb-06-2011, 9:17am
[QUOTE=trevor;889619]I have Ellis and Mowry F5s in stock. I won't be in my store until Tuesday and would prefer to comment from a proper A/B not memory so I will post a report then.[/QUOTE Look forward to your observation! Surely there are more Mowry F or A5 players out there!!

red7flag
Feb-06-2011, 4:46pm
Trevor, can't wait to hear your A/B. I am fascinated.

yankees1
Feb-06-2011, 6:50pm
Trevor, can't wait to hear your A/B. I am fascinated. You can hear the Mowry now by going to the Acoustic Music Company website and utilize the jukebox feature! While you are at it, check out his Heiden! Come on you Mowry owners out there, jump in with your take on the Mowry F and A 5's!

trevor
Feb-08-2011, 5:52am
Not sure why I offered to do this... describing sound is so difficult.. but here's my best shot. Bear in mind this is two particular instruments. Both are up there with the best I've heard and any choice would be down to personal preferences. Both have fantastic volume and projection, the Ellis has a slightly fuller sound the Mowry a slightly clearer sound (to be expected as its birdseye maple).

I would hate to have to decide...

yankees1
Feb-08-2011, 8:02am
Not sure why I offered to do this... describing sound is so difficult.. but here's my best shot. Bear in mind this is two particular instruments. Both are up there with the best I've heard and any choice would be down to personal preferences. Both have fantastic volume and projection, the Ellis has a slightly fuller sound the Mowry a slightly clearer sound (to be expected as its birdseye maple).

I would hate to have to decide... Trevor, How does the Heiden compare to these ?

trevor
Feb-08-2011, 8:12am
I knew I shouldn't have gotten into this.. I keep them in stock so folks (that can get here) can try them.. The Heritage has what I think of as Micheal's signature sound - somebody once described it as the whoosh of air as a tennis ball hits a wall - 'fraid I can't better that except to add a sweet but strong mid-range.. but my usual caveat.. different people hear things differently..

yankees1
Feb-08-2011, 8:22am
I knew I shouldn't have gotten into this.. I keep them in stock so folks (that can get here) can try them.. The Heritage has what I think of as Micheal's signature sound - somebody once described it as the whoosh of air as a tennis ball hits a wall - 'fraid I can't better that except to add a sweet but strong mid-range.. but my usual caveat.. different people hear things differently.. Sorry to put you on the spot! :) As far as volumne how does the Mowry F5 compare to the Heiden A5 ?

trevor
Feb-08-2011, 8:27am
I have nobody here to listen at the moment... from my perspective similar.. all loud.

yankees1
Feb-08-2011, 8:36am
I have nobody here to listen at the moment... from my perspective similar.. all loud.

Thanks Trevor! Sorry to be a pest! After listening to your jukebox the Heiden sounded the loudest and strongest and this is why I was asking as I am partial to a Mowry and Andrew! He seems like a wonderful person and he is building me an oval A now but thinking of a A5 on down the road!

red7flag
Feb-08-2011, 11:03am
Trevor thank you for walking on the eggshells of comparing two fabulous instruments. Your results are pretty much what I expected. While Ellis has a modern approach, he somehow loads his instruments with loads and levels of tone. The Mowry I have is very clean in tone. It is not so much that one is better than the other, just different. I can imagine a group of 100 Cafe folks judging these two instruments and can project that it would be a close to even split on who prefers which instrument. I had a great experience A/Bing my Ellis with a 90 Gil. The quality of both instruments was apparent. The Gil has a very clear tone and the Ellis loaded with overtones. I actually preferred the Ellis tone, but did not tell my friend who brought the Gil. That being said, the Gil was one of the finest instruments I have ever played.

yankees1
Feb-08-2011, 11:59am
Hey Tony, Have you played a Mowry F or A 5 ? After Andrew builds my Oval A I may be thinking about an A or F5. Thoughts on his A or F 5 compared to others you have played or heard?

red7flag
Feb-08-2011, 10:02pm
I have not, just the positive things heard on this board and listened to clips on his web sight before ordering my GOM.

yankees1
Feb-09-2011, 8:06am
I think his A mandolins are under priced in consideration of his workmanship and tone and I have decided that my next mandolin will be an A5 Mowry. But---------Andrew, if you are reading this, hold off on a price increase until after I order! :)