PDA

View Full Version : Foggy Hogtown Boys

doublestop
Oct-26-2004, 4:10pm
Hey, to all of our friend Up North. Just received the new issue of Bluegrass Unlimited. They say that the Foggy Hogtown Boys have finally released Live at the Dominion. Is it any good? I may need to buy it. Does anyone know if they ever recovered that mando that was stolen in Toronto? Hope so.... Last time I saw Andrew Collins he was playing a great sounding Heiden!!!!!

craigmurray
Oct-27-2004, 10:27am
Hey Doublestop
The Foggy Hogtown album is good. It is a live album (obviously with a name like "Live at the Dominion"). It does faithfully represent what a saturday afternoon is like at the Dominion (minus the smokey atmosphere and beer). The musicians are all top notch. #Personally I would much rather go to the Dominion than listen to the disc, but I am afforded that luxury due to my proximity to Toronto. I don't listen to this album near as much as Andrew's other albums, but that is more due to the fact that I am more into the new acoustic sounding stuff. #The Creaking Tree String Quartet just released their second album, entitled "Side Two", and it is fantastic. #This album mixes it up a little more than the first CTSQ album, with multiple tracks that Andrew plays mandola and the mandocello. #There are a few tracks where Brain plays his electric six string base aswell. #Andrew currently has two Heiden's, his older F, and a new A style that he just got a few months ago. #He has really taken to the new A style, and I haven't seen him play the F since he got the new one. #Both of them sound fantastic too me, but he hasn't stopped raving about the sound from his new one. #He said that it was well liked at the IBMA, one of the higher end builders (Fletcher Brock??) even took measurements of the graduations. #
Craig

craigmurray
Oct-27-2004, 10:32am
Oh, and by the way, I don't think that they ever recovered that stolen Apitius. #
What is in the new issue of Bluegrass Unlimited? #Do they review the album?

doublestop
Oct-27-2004, 4:33pm
I think it was just in the "Just Released" section, so it wasn't a review. Too bad they didn't recover the Apitius. I like those boys. They first time I saw them was in PA at the "Music in the Mountains" Fest and it was The Creaking Tree String Quartet. They were great!!!

Justin Carvitto
Oct-30-2004, 11:46am
I saw Andrew sold his mandocello on the cafe. What did or does he play now for a 'cello and 'dola?

jasona
Oct-30-2004, 2:38pm
I heard he bought a Sumi mandocello at IBMA.

craigmurray
Oct-31-2004, 7:35am
Jason
Andrew did bring home that Sumi mandocello that Spruce posted a photo of in one of the IBMA threads. #I haven't had a chance to play it, but he loves it. #The Creaking Tree is coming to play in my home town of Peterborough this coming Friday, so I will be able to give it a go on then. #THe only other mandocello I have ever played is his old Bacorn. #I always feel wierd playing mandocellos, it just isn't the same when you can't make a 7 fret stretch. As for Andrew's mandola he is currently playing a Lebeda.
Craig