PDA

View Full Version : picks

ian s
Feb-04-2011, 11:37am
i have a vintage bowlback with new lightweight newtone nickel strings, can anyone advise me what pick thickness i should use.

thanks in advance

JeffD
Feb-04-2011, 12:40pm
I use a Fender Heavy on my bowlbacks, and tend towards the heavy picks on all my mandolins.

Picker Jim
Feb-04-2011, 12:45pm
Yes, heavy picks work best for me too. The reason is because you have to pick over two strings that are close together and a thin pick bends over the first string and only slightly contacts the second string, so the sound produced is muffled or lighter unless that is what you wish to do.

allenhopkins
Feb-04-2011, 2:23pm
I used the Dunlop Tortex picks for years, and they come in various gauges. If you can get to a music store that carries 'em, sit down and try the different thicknesses until you find the one you like.

Jim Garber
Feb-04-2011, 2:38pm
I use different picks on different mandolins but I don't like extra heavy ones. I lean to ones around 1.00 mm. I generally prefer ultem picks by Dunlop or Clayton but also use (dare I say) Blue Chip picks.

I play lots of bowlbacks as well as other mandolins. Actually I just started playing Brazilian mandolin and that style of instrument BION reponds quite nicely to medium gauge picks.

Frankly, if I were you, I would just try a bunch of picks until you find one or two you like. Sometimes different styles determine different picks and sometimes even different songs, like slow vs. fast.

strings777
Feb-10-2011, 11:11am
i have a vintage bowlback with new lightweight newtone nickel strings, can anyone advise me what pick thickness i should use.

thanks in advance

If you are using their light gauge set, you might want to try a .73 Dunlop Ultex pick if you like a bit brighter sound or go with a heavier gauge pick if you want to tone down the brightness. Another great inexpensive pick to try on nickel strings would be the Clayton Acetal picks...they aren't quite as bright sounding as the Dunlop Ultex picks, but sound great too. They're both my favorites and are inexpensive...try a few different gauges of each, I bet you'll like them.

strings777
Feb-10-2011, 3:11pm
I use different picks on different mandolins but I don't like extra heavy ones. I lean to ones around 1.00 mm. I generally prefer ultem picks by Dunlop or Clayton but also use (dare I say) Blue Chip picks.

I play lots of bowlbacks as well as other mandolins. Actually I just started playing Brazilian mandolin and that style of instrument BION reponds quite nicely to medium gauge picks.

Frankly, if I were you, I would just try a bunch of picks until you find one or two you like. Sometimes different styles determine different picks and sometimes even different songs, like slow vs. fast.
I have a Blue Chip, a Red Bear, and various Wegen picks...but I always seem to gravitate to the Dunlop Ultex and the Clayton Acetal picks most of the time. Like Jim said, it really depends on the strings and the instrument. I really do like my Blue Chip pick a lot for tremolo though...it seems to glide effortlessly across the strings. I only use it at home since I somehow manage to misplace a lot of picks, and unfortunately, can't afford to lose a $35.00 pick these days. I suppose times are tough for a lot of people though.