PDA

View Full Version : Emando; Minimum Distance Between Controls, etc.

Jeff Richards
Feb-02-2011, 9:50pm
I am still making slow progress with my first Mando. My new dilemma is determining if there is a minimum distance required between the various pots, etc.? Is this one of those things where I can use "common sense", or is there some danger with feed back, or general interference if the electric parts are placed too close together?

Thanks,

Jeff

thistle3585
Feb-02-2011, 10:12pm
Its really important to layout the entire control cavity to make sure everything is going to fit. First off, make sure that you know how big your knobs are and allow for enough room to comfortably turn them. Be sure that you order pots and switches with enough of a stem to allow for proper installation. Also, depending on the jack that you use, you need to make sure that when you stick the plug in that it isn't hitting another component. I learned these lessons the hard way. :)

Audio Artillery
Feb-03-2011, 12:16am
As thistle says, you need to make sure everything physically fits. I've only done a couple electric projects but I like a lot of room in the cavity because I hate soldering in tight spaces.

You can completely forget your fears of interference, nothing to worry about electrically. A good grounding scheme never hurts though.

Ben Milne
Feb-03-2011, 1:29am
Make a cardboard template of the body and mark out things like control cavities, pickguards input jack etc anything that relates to wiring. Pop a few holes in it and use it to hold components while u solder your harness etc. This will ensure everything fits comfortably and that you have less solder joins to make while installing PU into the body (don't forget to encorporate bridge/TP earth wire etc)

Jeff Richards
Feb-04-2011, 9:17am
Thanks Thistle, Audio Artillery and Ben for the replies. I actually built a mock up out of some old pine. The biggest conflict seems to be the jack location. I will look at it this weekend to see if I can "customize" the model that I have and move it.

Never having done this before, I am also wondering if I can place and solder everything in the mock up and then dis-assemble it and re-solder in the finished mando. Is this just a very bad Idea?

Thanks,

Jeff

Ben Milne
Feb-04-2011, 10:26am
You shouldn't have to dissemble it too far. Wiring it on a template will ensure everything is the right length and runs the right direction.
Whether or not your pickups and pots are being mounted on a pickguard or separate control cavity will make the difference in what has to be done on-body. If a more of a gibson-style (rear control cavity you could build a harness with the pots/cap and just have the pickup and bridge ground to solder during installation.
I guess if it is a fender-style pickguard mounted electronics, then you would already have a work surface somewhat seperate from the insrument

mandroid
Feb-06-2011, 5:57pm
I converted a 2 pot set up to a gang pot, both on the same center. an in side and an outside knob.

new scratch plate eliminated a knob I kept making contact with and not wanting to.