PDA

View Full Version : Raffaele Calace Method for Mandolin in English

NewsFetcher
Feb-02-2011, 2:17pm
The Mandolin Cafe has posted news:
Raffaele Calace Method for Mandolin in English
http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001316.shtml

Raffaele Calace Method for Mandolin, the essential treatise from the master of Neopolitan mandolin technique is now made accessible to the English-speaking student thanks to the work of Mike Marshall and Caterina Lichtenberg.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. The addition of images, videos, links and BB coding is turned OFF for this area so as not to compete with or interfere with the news item.

Jim Garber
Feb-02-2011, 3:03pm
Excellent news!! Long time coming.

KristinEliza
Feb-02-2011, 3:36pm
I second Jim's comment.

MandoNicity
Feb-03-2011, 3:40am
I must get a copy of this!

JR

Mike Black
Feb-03-2011, 10:03am
By looking at the picture on the cover of Raffaele Calace holding a Mandolin. He must have been a very small guy. :)

Jim Garber
Feb-03-2011, 10:11am
Those liuto cantabiles are monsters. The Munier Orchestra in Philadelphia have a Calace liuto. The neck is more than a baseball bat -- more like a bridge cable.

brunello97
Feb-03-2011, 10:49am
By looking at the picture on the cover of Raffaele Calace holding a Mandolin. He must have been a very small guy. :)

I thought the same thing when I saw the photo..... Somewhere on the MC is a picture of Alex T playing a liuto cantabile (not certain of the maker). It is huge.

Mick

Jim Garber
Feb-03-2011, 10:52am
I was going to post a picture of RC and his liuto but you can't post pictures on these newsfetcher threads.

vkioulaphides
Feb-03-2011, 10:58am
This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjFdfjqIHHA

is the instrument in question (i.e. the one played by Alex, of course, not Calace himself).

QUITE impressive!

Cheers,

Victor

brunello97
Feb-03-2011, 11:11am
Wonderful, Victor, both the composition and the playing. The accompanying text from Alex is very informative as well. I did not know this was a Puglisi instrument...... The Sicilian makers are usually overshadowed by those from the peninsula. Of course they made instruments across a wide range of quality levels. I have owned a few and am a big fan of their very eclectic design sensibilities. Big props to the family from Catania. I hope this helps raise them further up into the radar screen.

Mick

Jim Garber
Feb-03-2011, 11:14am
Pictures of the Calace liuto from (I think) 1920s can be found here:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?1898-Post-a-Picture-of-Your-Bowlback-(or-any-others)&p=89071&viewfull=1#post89071

vkioulaphides
Feb-03-2011, 1:02pm
Wonderful, Victor, both the composition and the playing.

Thank you, my friend! Indeed, the playing is nothing short of ASTOUNDING, especially considering that I wrote this piece for dear Ali, to be played on her "Beast", ~merely~ a lil' old octave-mandolin ;-)

And, speaking of the radar screen, I would absolutely LOVE to write something expressly for this magnificent instrument, but of course that takes pragmatically a lower priority to those pieces for... *ahem*... somewhat more abundant instruments.

An absolutely GLORIOUS plucky thing, all the same... What would I/we not give to have heard Raffaele the Great actually play that liuto! Perhaps his works for it can be revived, and more frequently heard.

Cheers,

Victor

Irénée
Dec-03-2020, 5:11pm
Hello all !...

! Has Somebody (because I am seeking strongly for…) the Liuto Cantabile method written by Raffaele Calace

...And (may be, why not) other from him (or other such as: "The Bickford Method for Mando-cello" in 3 volumes) for Mandocello please ?

Thank you very much by advance !

Jim Imhoff
Dec-14-2020, 2:36pm
Hello all !...

! Has Somebody (because I am seeking strongly for…) the Liuto Cantabile method written by Raffaele Calace

...And (may be, why not) other from him (or other such as: "The Bickford Method for Mando-cello" in 3 volumes) for Mandocello please ?

Thank you very much by advance !

Already answered this a week ago in your post from another thread: Contact me, I got the Bickford. If you already found the source, just let me know.