PDA

View Full Version : Me and my epiphone mandolin

Tydees
Feb-02-2011, 2:09am
Hi everyone...I don't have a website or video so I have to attached a photo of me and my mandolin. I have only be playing it just over 4 months. I so love the instrument! I have learned enough basic stuff in order to jam with other musicians or play at open mics. I am open to any or all suggestions, with regards to theory, chord progression, etc.

From the photo, you can see me sitting on a box. It is actually a drum called a cajon. It is Latin in origin and used mostly in flamenco but becoming more popular amongst drummers and percussionists for use at acoustic jams. Right now...I would consider myself more of a drummer wanting to be a mandolin player. I have some basic knowledge of guitar but as I mentioned, I just fell in love with the mandolin and I really want to learn to play it well.

Sherie

jim simpson
Feb-02-2011, 8:27pm
Sherie,

Welcome, you need to learn to play the cajon and your mandolin at the same time. I remember seeing the Jolly Boys play. One of the boys was playing a bass marimba that he sat on like the cajon, it had metal tongs on it that he would pluck like a bass. I guess it was like a huge thumb piano.
Enjoy your new intstrument.

bernabe
Feb-03-2011, 7:46am
go girl!

Big Joe
Feb-03-2011, 7:54am
Just be careful.... mandolins are addictive! The only treatment for it is to play with other people and have fun! :) .

ibanezae
Feb-10-2011, 9:04pm
The more music the better. Be it mandolin, cajon or a pair of spoons and a jug. Just got my 1/8th plywood in the mail yesterday and will be building my cajon this weekend.