PDA

View Full Version : Very old bowlback

jvowles
Feb-01-2011, 10:54pm
My mother was given this "spare" mandolin by an elderly neighbor whom she used to play guitar and banjo with. It has a rather pretty and old fashioned sound. She's had it for at least ten years, and the neighbor believed he'd picked it up used in the early 50s, and that it was made in the 40s or earlier. It bears no maker's mark that we could spot, so I'm hoping one of you experts can help us identify it. (I'm also trying to find a case in time for her birthday -- Feb 14th!)

It's 24.75 inches long and has a 6" deep bowl.

JeffD
Feb-01-2011, 11:03pm
You might try one of these (http://www.giannaviolins.com/esmando/case/CaseESBowlBack.html) cases. I have purchased a few and I love them.

Jim Garber
Feb-02-2011, 11:16am
I would have to check my files for similar looking ones. I also like the Eastman cases linked above. If you don;t want to spend that much, tho, this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/Mandolin-hard-case-round-back-NEW-/370478369356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56423b4a4c) is a completely serviceable hard shell case and they will ship pretty quickly.

jvowles
Feb-03-2011, 1:54pm
Thanks for the lead on the cases, guys!

Another question -- any idea what we actually have there? Would love to be able to definitively identify the maker, model & year. I have a hunch this thing is pretty valuable (not least because it's functional) and if so would like her to insure it.

Jim Garber
Feb-03-2011, 2:20pm
Generally, these bowlbacks were made closer to the turn of the 19th-20th centuries. it is unlikely that yours was made in the 1940s -- by then this style was pretty much unpopular. As far as maker, it is difficult to determine without considerable research. I would say likely it is American made, middle grade instrument. I highly doubt that it is very valuable. it does look to be in good shape from the photos but that can be deceptive since there are some serious problems that may not show up in a photograph and they would impact the functionality.

With the exceptions of higher grade instruments by some of the known makers, these generally are worth, at most, a few hundred dollars.

One other way to tell the grade, tho not necessarily conclusive is that the tailpiece, bridge and tuners are similar kind found on inexpensive mandolins of the period. So, I would not worry too much that you have a seriously valuable instrument.

brunello97
Feb-03-2011, 10:07pm
Not meaning to disparage Allen's Chicago attribution (which is never a bad bet on an unlabeled US bowlback from this era.) I was wondering if this may have been an East Coast bowlback with the slightly more tapered body style. All those inlaid MOP arabesques look very Italian to me. These inlays appear on many MOR Neapolitan mandolins and on any number of Riccas, Galianos and Favillas I have seen. Not that I think this is from those shops but wondering if the ready pool of Italo-luthiers in the east may have influenced this design. For some reason I am thinking Antonio Grauso, but that is a wild hair and without a label who would know? I have seen the 'Venetian' black-white binding on L+H mandolins, but don't have any with the soundhole inlay such as this. Which isn't saying much, my L+H examples are thin. I am all set for someone to quickly post an L+H model with this inlay and my Shamus hunch will evaporate.

Jim is correct, though. You'd think these would be rather valuable, given the materials and craft on even the modest versions. And compared to things today. But they are not, at least $$ wise.

Mick