PDA

View Full Version : A Perfect Nut

Tom Wright
Jan-29-2011, 9:25pm
I invested in a set of nut-slotting files from StewMac and a few blanks, and generated a good nut for my Ryder, (after a few tries). Issues that have annoyed me for years are history. Among them are uneven spacing and intonation difficulties.

Especially the latter is very satisfying. I found it really hard to find a bridge adjustment that satisfied both upper and lower frets, ended up adding compensation at the nut, even to adding a full zero fret. Mostly it seemed that the first couple of frets played sharp, making agreement between octaves and fourths impossible.

I had already found some slight improvement after noticing the G string sitting high, and lowering it. But I could not even get a perfectly-tuned interval between open A and E to stay in tune on the first fret, without dramatic leaning onto the E and away from the A. It was that when both are a little high off the first fret, I squeeze harder and the A goes more sharp than the E, since it is lower tension.

So getting all the strings just barely high enough, with clearance (~.010") just a notch higher than from one fret to the next, allows me to tune without harsh tempering of fifths. My octaves are good, and I can zero in on good tuning instantly by ear, without lots of trial and error to find a tempering scheme that works.

I used Micarta, and have no complaints about tone. And I did not have to make repeated trips to a shop to get it just right. The total cost was about $100 including needle files I got for more general use, and I can now customize and replace nuts for my Weber and my expected Buchanan 10-string, and can replace a worn out nut on my Ryder in the future, or when I replace the frets and have to either shim up or make a new nut.

It's all about patience, so as to not go too far in shaping or slotting, wasting a blank. I'm tempted to ask Buchanan to glue the nut on my 10-string very slightly, so I can tinker after it arrives. My electric was already kind of beat up, and I had less compunction about risking its finish. As it turned out, the nut popped out easily but there are those that don't.

Tom Wright
Jan-29-2011, 9:30pm
Guess we should move this, I didn't notice the category. But it's about personalizing my instrument at least as much as repairing, kind of like oboe players that make their own reeds to get what they want.

CES
Jan-29-2011, 10:00pm
Tom, glad you finally got it "right for you." I'm fixing to embark on a nut/saddle adventure on an old cheap classical guitar that my daughter's playing. Someone in the 1970s took things a bit too low on both, especially at the nut, and it buzzes if you look at it, esp. on the b and e strings. I have a bunch of left over counter top and cut out a couple of blanks today I'll start shaping in the near future. It won't be bone, but it'll be a good experience...I'm hoping to eventually shape a new bone nut for my flatiron 1N (which has the G courses spaced too wide...my pinky almost slips between them on a G or A chord) but want some practice first...I'll definitely be hanging onto the originals, but we'll see how it goes.

michaelpthompson
Jan-29-2011, 10:15pm
Glad you got something that works Tom. The trick to removing a nut without cracking the finish is to cut through the finish just behind the nut on the pegboard side. I think they recommend a 0.010" fretboard saw. Doesn't make a slot big enough to notice, but cutting the finish away from the nut itself seems to limit cracking pretty well.

I got a bone blank to make a nut from StewMac and it's really easy to work with. Messed around for a long time with their string spacing ruler, but I must be thick or something, I couldn't figure it out. Finally used a ruler and drew the spacing for the slots by eye. Haven't quite finished yet, so I'm not sure how it will turn out.

Tom Wright
Jan-30-2011, 10:12am
Now I'm happy until I wear out the current frets.

67914 67915

Charlieshafer
Jan-30-2011, 10:42am
Nice work! The joys of equal temperament on an instrument with scale length too short to truly accommodate frets. Did you notch the nut at slightly different angles to allow for a little compensation there?

Tom Wright
Jan-30-2011, 11:09am
Notches are all angled to almost the headstock angle. They are all pretty much straight in line with the neck. They appear as different heights, but the under-string fret clearance is consistent.

I found that when I did not have to squeeze hard at the first or second fret the intonation challenges evaporated. Since the first fret on any longer-scale instrument is much farther away from the nut this is less of an issue than on the very short mandolin scale. I never had any trouble with guitars like Fender, Gibson, Yamaha---setting the bridge always solved problems. But I think even a few thousandths too high and low-fret tuning is compromised on a mandolin.

Charlieshafer
Jan-30-2011, 2:45pm
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm thinking of one instrument already I might give your treatment to.

Fretbear
Jan-30-2011, 9:18pm
After the bridge feet and the bridge saddle, getting the nut just right is the next most important thing to see to. The action at the nut and the overall feel of the string-spacing for the left hand will all be from there.
If you go a stroke too far and start to get a buzz, you can always shim the entire nut back up from below with a hidden single or double piece of masking tape without ill-effect.

Rob Gerety
Jan-30-2011, 9:52pm
I had a new nut fashioned for my Gibson A and it made a world of difference. It is a pleasure to play now. A good set up is something I have become used to now and I could not imagine playing an instrument with a bad set up. For what it is worth - Paul Hostetter has some good info on nut making here

http://www.lutherie.net/nuts.html

Mandobart
Jan-31-2011, 6:03pm
I just got a few sizes of these files, too. Had to reslot the nut in my Mandobird, and replaced the nut on my Ibanez. My first attempts at making a bone nut WITHOUT these files didn't work; the smallest needle files readily available at hardware stores are much too big for nut slotting. Fine sandpaer folded in half was not successful either. However, with the StewMac files I have had great results. Dan Erlewine (http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Nuts,_saddles/a-nuts.html)put together a good tutorial, as well as the Fretnot (http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repair/mandolin/nut.php) site.