PDA

View Full Version : Campanella: Dué Model Octave Mandolin

joec
Jan-27-2011, 3:28pm
Hey folks,
Here's a preview of my new Dué model octave mandolin. I'll post some more pictures when I've completed the setup and have a chance to do a proper photo shoot. I just thought it looked kinda purty through the window, and wanted to share. I've been in this shop in the Wing Building on the Burlington waterfront since August, and am looking to having some regular pickin' sessions in the courtyard outside my windows when the warm weather comes back around.
FWIW, you can get a personal introduction to this octave, some A's, a Dué mando and a couple of violins, if you visit my table at the Joe Val Bluegrass Festival (http://www.bbu.org/jvhome.htm) in Framingham, MA (near Boston) this Feb. 18-20.
cheers!
Joe

joec
Jan-27-2011, 4:43pm
stained, before varnishing (progress pic):

Don Grieser
Jan-27-2011, 5:13pm
Wow!! Can't wait to hear some sound clips of that one. :disbelief:

jasona
Jan-27-2011, 5:15pm
Wow x2!

Ed Goist
Jan-27-2011, 7:35pm
Wow X3!

JEStanek
Jan-27-2011, 9:34pm
Pretty cool all around, Joe.

Jamie

Jill McAuley
Jan-27-2011, 10:00pm
Awesome! Soundclips please!

Cheers,
Jill

Carleton Page
Jan-27-2011, 10:07pm
Can't wait to see (hear) it at Joe Val!

grassrootphilosopher
Jan-28-2011, 4:57am
I second the motion for soundclips.

joec
Jan-30-2011, 9:23am
I second the motion for soundclips.

It may take a few weeks, but I'll definitely get some mp3s together, and more photos of course. I'm really enjoying how the Dué at this scale recalls the curves and corners of a (violon) cello, and can't wait to build the mandocello version as well.
Stay tuned...
Joe

tonyvt
Feb-04-2011, 8:06pm
Joe, Looking forward to seeing you and your new Octave Mandolin at Joe Val.

Tony A

joec
Feb-17-2011, 8:39pm
Here are some more photos:
I'm really pleased with the sound, it's very responsive on the mid-upper end, with a nice rumble down below. I ran the gauge of the G string up to .049", and then brought the whole set up a little to the level of the J72 (light 'dola) set. It's a 21" scale, so very playable, and I think this set dials in the tension, though the J80s + the .049 worked as well.
No soundclips yet...I haven't had the time to set up my little studio between recent violin repair work and new builds underway. Maybe in the coming weeks. Thanks for being patient, and see you in Boston!
Joe

and a comparison shot for scale along with the piccolo and mandolin:

hank
Feb-17-2011, 10:30pm
Way Cool Joe! Will you have to do some beef up structurally for the mandocello build?

joec
Feb-17-2011, 10:56pm
Way Cool Joe! Will you have to do some beef up structurally for the mandocello build?

Strength to weight is something that we builders are constantly thinking about, especially getting into the larger instruments, but the whole structure is stronger and more rigid, and so no one component has to bear the full tension.
The octave does have a two way truss rod, as would a 'cello. Honestly, I don't really worry about the effect of string tension on the instrument, it's well designed for that, but my main concern is to limit the experience of that tension by the musician, so that they can do their thing in comfort--and put more effort into musical expression than sound production. :mandosmiley:
Joe

Tavy
Feb-18-2011, 4:48am
Beautiful work Joe - love the aesthetics of those!

mee
Feb-18-2011, 5:28am
I thought a Piccolo was like a flute....where can you find that little 4 string instrument you call a Piccolo? How does it chord? :confused:

Don Grieser
Feb-18-2011, 9:42am
....Honestly, I don't really worry about the effect of string tension on the instrument, it's well designed for that, but my main concern is to limit the experience of that tension by the musician, so that they can do their thing in comfort--and put more effort into musical expression than sound production. :mandosmiley:
Joe

Well said, Joe. And you're giving me serious DFAS (Dué Family Acquisition Syndrome).

Jill McAuley
Feb-18-2011, 12:05pm
Stunning work there, Joe!

Cheers,
Jill

EdHanrahan
Feb-18-2011, 1:02pm
... so that they can do their thing in comfort--and put more effort into musical expression than sound production.
So that's why your instruments look so good to all of us mere mortals!

joec
Feb-25-2011, 9:18pm
I thought a Piccolo was like a flute....where can you find that little 4 string instrument you call a Piccolo? How does it chord? :confused:

That's my version of a piccolo mandolin, in this case made with single courses to accomodate the scroll and make it easier on little fingers.
I've tuned it AEAE for a child or a punchy high voice in a fiddle-tunes session. The other tuning that I really like and has intriguing possibilities is Bflat,F,C,G--up a minor third from standard. Grisman mentioned this in his 'cafe interview, and it works well tension-wise and for the voice of the instrument (not SO high as CGDA). Also, it gives both new access to interesting keys, and new perspectives on familiar ones.
Joe

Jonas
Mar-04-2011, 4:58pm
Would sure like to try that octave! Looks just right to me. I am a little biased I guess.

Jesse Harmon
Mar-06-2011, 1:02am
Took the ferry across Lake Champlain to Burlington many times when I had Roger Borys build me one of his jazz electrics. Think I'll have to make the trip out again sometime. Really is impressive.

Carleton Page
Mar-06-2011, 10:52am
I got to play this instrument at Joe Val and it sounds really wonderful! I really like Joe's instruments.

Mandobar
Mar-06-2011, 11:15am
i played it last night at the March Mandolin festival, along with some other instruments he had with him. i can only say that i was totally impressed and i own a lot of instruments and have owned and played many others. these are not to be missed. and Joe is one of the nicest people you'd want to meet.

i left my checkbook home yesterday, otherwise there'd be a big hole in it right now.

Jesse Harmon
Mar-06-2011, 11:31am
For those Michigan people interested in a great trip to Burlington here is a great route. Take 69 and follow the path through Toronto. Then get off around the thousand island area and go through Watertown NY. Go through the Adirondacks and Lake Placid to the Ferry across Lake Champlain to Burlington. If you time it right you get a sunset behind you while the lights in Burlington are just lighting up. Made it many times and Burlington is lots of fun on a summer evening. Miss having Roger Borys to visit in Shelbourne as he has moved to New Jersey. I'm going to have to start saving my money for one of these Campanellas. For a little faster route don't drop back into the US until Cornwall. It is amazingly how quick you can actually get there.

Steve-o
Mar-06-2011, 12:26pm
I've done that trip on a little more scenic route by bicycle from Michigan. Great trip, and would be even better if you got to go home with a Campanella.

Jesse Harmon
Mar-06-2011, 5:07pm
A double Amen to the bicycle and the Campanella!

Steve-o
Mar-06-2011, 7:09pm
A double Amen to the bicycle and the Campanella!

Campagnolo and Campanella

Mandobar
Mar-29-2011, 4:36pm
There were two Campanella mandolins at the Music Emporium today when I was there. Both A styles. One was the same one I played at the mandolin festival. I believe that one is sold.