PDA

View Full Version : Strings Of Triplets

stefeb
Feb-15-2004, 2:11pm
Let's try this instead:

You are playing a reel, and the tune contains several measures of triplets, what pick strokes are best to use when playing the triplets.

thanks.

jeffshuniak
Feb-16-2004, 1:14pm
I try to start any measure with a down stroke. eight notes, triplets, sixteenths, all get a steady up and down picking,
quarter notes, I may go, down, down depending on speed.

really you have to use what is going to "land" you on the next string course. a reel is 6/8 ? so triplets should fit right in?
d-u-d , u-d-u next measure = d again, seems to work fine.

thats my $.02 whatever its worth.

stefeb
Feb-16-2004, 4:16pm
Thanks. Without the benefit of a teacher, there are some things I'm not quite sure how to approach. Appreiciate your time in responding.

danb
Feb-17-2004, 10:21am
It's been a frequent query here and on CoMando- I advocate DDU DDU, Roger Landes and most other trad irish players use DUD DUD. In a jig, that helps define the pulse of the melody.

I'll use that exact pattern when rattling off a stream of triplets at the last measure or two of a hornpipe as well, is that the sort of context you were wondering about? In a reel, sometimes if you are cramming in 6 notes in the space of a normal triplet, that becomes a "tremelo" which many bluegrassers will do as DUDUDU DUDUDU DUDUDU.

stefeb
Feb-17-2004, 2:47pm
Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing (the hornpipe). There are three measures comprosied mainly of triplets. I've tried dududu, but have a hard time staying in time. I keep going to fast. If I use dud, dud, dud, it helps me stay on the beat.

I just wasn't sure if there was a technically correct way to play them.