PDA

View Full Version : New Mandolinetto

Champlin
Jan-26-2011, 7:02pm
Howdy folks,

Here's photos of a custom mandolinetto I just finished. I've built a few based off an old Vernon mandolinetto from circa 1905. This customer wanted a longer body, so this is basically the old Vernon shape with 2 extra inches on the bottom. He also wanted the headstock color to match the top color, hence the maple overlay there. Back, sides, neck are mahogany, and it's engelmann spruce for the top. The finish is oil based varnish, then french polished shellac. It's mostly built with hide glue. It turns out that extra couple inches goes far for the sound of the instrument. There is added depth and warmth compared with the smaller size. I'm still very fond of the smaller body sound, which works great for what I like to play, but it's really fun to change a shape and hear what happens! I'll be mailing this off in a few days but I'll try to post a video before I do.

Thanks for looking,
Devin Champlin

Champlin
Jan-26-2011, 7:04pm
One more of the back...

F-2 Dave
Jan-26-2011, 7:06pm
Very cool Devin. Beautiful work. Your chicken looks awe struck.

Larry S Sherman
Jan-26-2011, 7:09pm
Really really really cool!

Great pics too.

I love an original approach...nice work!

Larry

JEStanek
Jan-26-2011, 7:13pm
Very nice to see one of these newly made. Great work.

Jamie

Steve Sorensen
Jan-26-2011, 9:49pm
Lovely. . . .
Steve

SincereCorgi
Jan-27-2011, 1:43am
That this is really nice-looking! Can you post a sound clip? Does it have much volume? ...does it cost a lot?

Tavy
Jan-27-2011, 6:12am
Great work, I love it when these old designs get revived!

Champlin
Jan-27-2011, 3:26pm
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

The chicken was even more awestruck when I played "old hen cackle" for her.

SincereCorgi- It does have a good deal of volume, especially compared to it's slightly smaller counterpart (which I think still has good volume). Of course, these type of ideas of volume and tone are relative and in the ear of the beholder. I will post a video later today. This one is already spoken for of course, but they are not very expensive. Of course, "expensive" is also relative and in the pocket of the beholder. so to speak.

Champlin
Jan-27-2011, 5:11pm
and here's a video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=___6ELdelgk

billhay4
Jan-27-2011, 5:55pm
Devin,
How did you brace this?
Thanks,
Bill

Champlin
Jan-27-2011, 8:51pm
Hi Bill,

It's ladder braced like the original that it's loosely based on. I did angle the braces slightly. I've seen a similar thing done on some old ladder braced parlor guitars that I like, so I tried it here. It sort of gives the effect of fanning out, wider on the bass side, tight on the treble. It really is a pretty slight angle and I'm not sure of the overall effect on the sound. I am very pleased with the sound, myself. I didn't photograph the top under construction, but here's a picture of a no name guitar in my shop that has a similar thing happening.

Tavy
Jan-28-2011, 4:34am
Hi Bill,

It's ladder braced like the original that it's loosely based on. I did angle the braces slightly. I've seen a similar thing done on some old ladder braced parlor guitars that I like, so I tried it here. It sort of gives the effect of fanning out, wider on the bass side, tight on the treble. It really is a pretty slight angle and I'm not sure of the overall effect on the sound. I am very pleased with the sound, myself. I didn't photograph the top under construction, but here's a picture of a no name guitar in my shop that has a similar thing happening.

Interesting bracing design, I've ben thinking of trying something similar, but based on the Emberger mandolin bracing:

billhay4
Jan-28-2011, 4:46pm
Thanks, Champlin,
Interesting method. Obviously it worked pretty well.
Bill

Kramster
Jan-28-2011, 9:47pm
Very cool.. you done good

Mandolin Holm
Feb-05-2011, 7:42pm
Looks and sounds really good! Nice job!

I'm afraid the guitar-shaped body wont exactly help when it comes to people asking "oh, you play ukulele?" though :P