PDA

View Full Version : Hoffee Carbon Fiber Mandolin Cases

pgregory
Jan-26-2011, 2:19pm
Has anyone tried one of these cases yet? They look very nice and would seem an ideal case to fly with (minimal size and weight to help get it on board, but very strong in case it had to be checked in). I would be interested in hearing opinions from anybody who has one.

mandroid
Jan-26-2011, 5:11pm
Never heard of them, got pictures and links?

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-27-2011, 4:50am
Here's a couple of pics of the Hoffee CF Mandolin case.It looks ok,but at $699.00 US it should be,
Ivan6779367794

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-01-2011, 3:41am
Ok,you've seen the pics.,here's the link :- www.carbonfibercases.com/ Now,how many would you like to buy ???. Ain't it amazin' how price puts some folk off !,
Ivan:grin:
(Sorry,just being mischeivous !)

Stephen Cagle
Feb-01-2011, 1:01pm
Ok,you've seen the pics.,here's the link :- www.carbonfibercases.com/ Now,how many would you like to buy ???. Ain't it amazin' how price puts some folk off !,
Ivan
(Sorry,just being mischeivous !)

Yep, you are right Ivan. Way too rich for me. Heck for that price I will buy a calton, price or something like that. 699 come on..
I can't wait till the Guardian teardrop case comes back out. Gonna get one for sure..

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-02-2011, 2:41am
I have to agree with you Stephen. That's one heck of a price to pay for a case,& a 'small', shaped one at that,with not much room for strings & things inside i reckon. A well upholstered,rectangular case with lots of 'stringy thingy' room,well maybe i'd consider it if i was well heel'd,
Ivan

mandolirius
Feb-02-2011, 3:26am
I'm loving my Hiscox. At two bills, it's a great deal!

evanreilly
Feb-02-2011, 10:05am
If you go to the Hoffee site, read the owner's description...
He is definitely making an interesting statement about making a superior domestic product!!!
If one votes with their sales $$$, then I hope he makes a lot of that green stuff.

Brent Hutto
Feb-02-2011, 10:13am
Anyone producing stringed-instrument products in the USA would be leaving money on the table not making a big deal about "superior domestic production". Both here and on the guitar forums that seems a sure way to double your sales...assuming people actually put their money where their fingers are, so to speak.

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-03-2011, 4:18am
Evan - I'm completely with you on that. But,if the cost of the 'superior domestic product' precludes decent sales,then he's up against a lot of much lower priced high quality cases.
Have a look at this site for a 'superior quality UK domestic product' -www.calderoriginals.com/
At the prices they're charging i'd bet they're not selling too many,
Ivan

mandroid
Feb-03-2011, 11:42am
site says Willie Nelson got one, theres A list affordable , and the rest of us ..

wonder what the combination of Peter Mix's mandolins and those cases would weigh in at?
:popcorn:

Jim DeSalvio
Feb-03-2011, 6:54pm
They look cool. Love carbon fiber.

Mandobar
Feb-03-2011, 7:19pm
10k for a mando. 700 for the case. Seems a small price to pay for piece of mind.

cocaseco
Feb-03-2011, 11:07pm
that seems a sure way to double your sales...assuming people actually put their money where their fingers are, so to speak.

Few do, IMO

Brent Hutto
Feb-04-2011, 5:50am
Few do, IMO

Yes, I've always suspected that for a lot of folks complaining about "cheap Chinese products", deep down their complaint is that thy can't buy American products just as cheaply.

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-05-2011, 3:48am
Brent - I suspect that observation applies for lots of folk world wide,certainly not just in the USA. But what can we do when our home-grown parent companies have their products 'made in China'(as one instance) to begin with.
Let's take an historical 'for instance'. Manchester UK,where i live, was at the heart of the cotton spinning industry in the UK going back into the early 1900's. India was one of our largest markets,but due to the outbreak of WW 1,cotton could no longer be exported there. So,the Indians set up their own cotton industry (using equipment exported from the UK ). Surprisingly enough,they produced good quality cotton for far less than the UK could. UK companies wishing to 'maximise' their profits after the war ended,bought the cheaper cotton from India. You can't blame the Indian people for developing an industry which benefited their own country, rather than fill the coffers of VERY wealthy UK mill owners. Gradually the cotton industry in the UK declined & we became a net importer of cotton by 1958. By 1960 -70,mills were closing at ther rate of 1 per week & by 1980,the Lancashire cotton industry was finished.
It wasn't the Indian cotton industry that screwd the UK cotton industry down,it was the demand by us,for lower cost goods & our industry paid the price.
We may have grounds for complaint re.'cheap' imports from 'wherever' gaining ground over 'home-grown' products,but it was 'us' that created the demand in the first place.
I don't know what the situation is in the USA or in Europe,but i would suspect that maybe it's the same (?),but there's hardly an electrical product ranging from a kettle to a TV to a PC that isn't sourced from China or another Pac.rim country. We can't blame the people in these countries for making what we ask them to make for us.
I'm sorry to have gone on at length,but let's be clear - we created the demand & the Pac.rim folks have responded,& with some very excellent products as well - but we all know this,
Ivan

Bob Buckingham
Feb-10-2011, 8:06am
I got some work boots with carbon fiber toes instead of steel. You can kick the crap out of anything, I have dropped logs on them, and they are so light. It is good stuff for protection.

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-11-2011, 1:08am
Rob - I wouldn't push your luck with the carbon fiber toe'd boots. I'm an ex-Aerospace design & production engineer, & for the last 8 years of my work as a Prod.eng.,i was involved in carbon fiber (& other composite materials) design & manufacture, & was involved in the testing of composite items. Carbon fiber lay-ups will de-laminate if struck hard,& once that happens all the strength is gone. I have to assume that the work boots have been tested sufficiently to allow them to be put on sale, & i only mention this because your talking about your personal health & safety. Without knowing how the CF has been used in the construction of the boots,i couldn't make a more positive comment,but i'd be careful all the same,as i'm sure you will. After all, you don't want anything to drop onto your toes at all,CF or steel,
Ivan