PDA

View Full Version : Blue grass

Wind and the void
Jan-25-2011, 5:18am
Well... after all this time of being a member I think blue grass has actually prompt me to check it out after checking out some Bill monroe. AND MY GOD IT IS AMAZING!! It's different from country. He has inspired me to play mandolin more and more.

Now I am wanting to get into blue grass. I have been playing for a yr+ now. Which is a good entry book to look into which I can buy from amazon.

high regards
Jimmy

Popeye39
Jan-25-2011, 8:05am
Glad you are enjoying your journey. It is exciting to have an eye opening experience, musically. Modern country music has strayed far from bluegrass, but to each his own. I don't know what the bluegrass scene is in Australia, hopefully you have some like minded souls nearby, to keep you going. Enjoy. Monroe is the Gold Standard, but there are many others out there to keep you motivated. I am currently taking lessons using a book called, Bluegrass Mandolin, by Jack Tottle. NFI.

Martian
Jan-25-2011, 8:20am
Hey W&W, I would suggest some of the videos that are out there today, tons of stuff, IMHO, you can't go wrong with Baldassari. I got bit by the bug 30 years ago, I was ( and sort of still am ) a rocker, but I told friends after going to my first bluegrass fest. that it was like a string carnival. If you can find a fester in your area, or travel range GO. Mike

MWM
Jan-25-2011, 8:30am
The Martian was (is still) a rocker?

I won't tell. Same here except it was punk in the early '80's.

MWM
Jan-25-2011, 8:40am
OK - to answer the original post. A good entry book is Roland White's book that comes with 2 CD's. It covers some basic Monroe fiddle tunes and has slow and medium speed versions on the CD. From what I've seen it's a good learning tool.

Denny Gies
Jan-25-2011, 9:31am
I agree that Jack Tottle's book is good. Another idea is to find a local jam or two and just show up, hang out and you will learn a lot; they will even let you play. Have fun.

Jimmijames
Jan-25-2011, 11:06am
Has anyone used "Teach Yourself Bluegrass Mandolin", by Andy Statman yet?