PDA

View Full Version : Effect of taking a short break rom playing

Darren Bailey
Jan-21-2011, 3:10pm
I was forced to leave my mandolin alone for about three weeks because of various work and other commitments. This week I have been playing every night again and it seems to have done wonders. It all feels fresh both to my hands and ears. Definitely the thing to do if you're ever feeling stale.

Rick Schmidlin
Jan-21-2011, 3:17pm
I stopped cold last March after five years, three were I play almost three hours a day! The rest one to three at least on most days.
I sold the mandolin and bought another guitar.Today I made a deal on an 2008 MT 2 and next week I will find what a 10 month break will do.I have been playing guitar every day since.On the other hand I did not play guitar much and my timing and right and left hand were improved by the mandolin.

Next week a new musical adventure will begin.

Willie Poole
Jan-21-2011, 8:49pm
It`s like a lot of things that we do on a regular basis, we get burnt out on some things....A lot of times after four days at a bluegrass festival I don`t even want to hear another bluegrass song for a few days.....I usually take a short break about every 3 months away from playing just so I don`t get burnt out, during that time I don`t practice very much either and when I start back I really feel fresh and raring to go....

barry k
Jan-21-2011, 9:24pm
I recently took a 6 week trip to Germany and didnt take ANY instrument with me ( we carried too many Christmas presents with) and I played last week and also seemed refreshed, more relaxed. So the break for me was good too.

Schlegel
Jan-21-2011, 9:58pm
It's a useful phenomenon... there's been a fair amount of research on the layoff effect and motor skills. This is usually aimed at sports research, but it applies to any complex motor skill. Basically if you cease to practice a task your skill will slowly degrade, as your neurological "programming" for it fades with time. But this can be used to your advantage if you want to improve the skill because it's been shown that it's most easy to change your motor pattern if you let it fade first, then use the changed version when you return to practice.

Basically it's hard to change (and improving is a change) if you're always practicing your bad habit, but if you stop for a while, you can replace the habit more easily. Hope this makes sense; it's part of the reason off seasons are important to professional athletes.

Coffeecup
Jan-22-2011, 6:28pm
The old adage of "sleep on it" is apparently true too.
Practicing (http://madisonjazz.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/practicingandcurrentbrainresearchbygebrian.pdf)

Chip Booth
Jan-22-2011, 7:02pm
Sometimes it is refreshing for me, and a welcome break, usually when I focus on another instrument for some specific purpose. I may come back energized and full of new ideas usually driven by things I have been thinking about specific to the other instrument.

Other times I come back feeling rusty and useless.

Loretta Callahan
Jan-23-2011, 9:31pm
Had to put down the mandolin for a spell due to work and a bone (stone) finger bruise. When I picked it up again, my "death grip" on the pick was gone. It was a delightful surprise.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-24-2011, 2:32am
I never 'really' like to put down my instruments for too long,but when i go on vacation each year for 2 weeks,i have to. When i come to play them again,it's like meeting old friends after a long absence - always a nice feeling & as Chip says,it's 'refreshing' as well,
Ivan;)

Pete Martin
Jan-24-2011, 9:03am
I have to put it down once every few years due to overuse injuries. The longest was about 3 years; often times it is 3 to 6 months. While it can be frustrating, it also mentally opens many doors. I usually play different when I return, as listening and practicing in my mind provides different ways of approaching things.

Markus
Jan-24-2011, 9:10am
I usually play different when I return, as listening and practicing in my mind provides different ways of approaching things.

I have found this as well - in the time off, we are listening to the song in our head more than the song our fingers are in the pattern of playing.

Your whole approach to a tune or a solo can be quite positively changed.

It's nice to think that in the time we are not playing, our ear and musical creativity does not stop developing.