PDA

View Full Version : New Mandolin!

Heliocentric
Jan-21-2011, 6:37am
I've been playing for a bit over a year now and have been having a blast. Last Christmas I got my hands on a Bean Blossom by Morgan Monroe. I had it set up by a local luthier, and he was good enough to put a bone nut on it while he was at it. After going through a bunch of different strings I settled on the Jazzmando JM-11s. In the last year I also made a maple bridge, and given that it is made of plywood have gotten what I consider to be a decent sound out of the mandolin. All that being said, I've about reached the end of what I can do to better the sound and decided it was time to upgrade. So I pulled the trigger on an Eastman 504 and got Steve Perry to do the set up and Mandovoodoo it for me. I just heard this morning that the mandolin is in the mail and I can't wait to get my fingers on the strings. I think I'm going to be in a state of anxious tension until I get it. Sort of like waiting for Christmas morning when I was a kid.

Ed Goist
Jan-21-2011, 9:49am
Congratulations on the new addition!
I hope it's a great instrument for you.
Please post pictures once it's arrived!

Jim DeSalvio
Jan-21-2011, 2:10pm
I think you are going to be very happy with the Eastman. I have several of their mandos, and enjoy the tone and playability. The Voodoo should make it sound open right from the get-go.

Congrats and enjoy!

Rick Schmidlin
Jan-21-2011, 3:25pm
Eastman are making fine mandolins these days, they are for their level the best investment and the next step.

Mike Scott
Jan-21-2011, 6:11pm
Congrats on the new mandolin. I got my 604 from Steve. He does a terrific job of setting them up. Mine is a joy to play. Enjoy!