PDA

View Full Version : Closet Bluegrass Pickers Discover the Joys of Jamming

NewsFetcher
Jan-20-2011, 10:42pm
The Mandolin Cafe has posted news:
Closet Bluegrass Pickers Discover the Joys of Jamming
http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001314.shtml

Wernick Method jam classes are springing up across the country and beyond, introducing aspiring musicians to the pleasures of playing bluegrass music with friends and neighbors.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. The addition of images, videos, links and BB coding is turned OFF for this area so as not to compete with or interfere with the news item.

farmerjones
Jan-21-2011, 9:21am
I can't say enough good things about Pete Wernick. Never met him.
Saw him with Hot Rize in the 70's. But his reputation is wonderfully well known. Thoughtful. To consider things that to the insider seem second nature. I'm talking about jamming. It's not to be taken for granted. It's wonderfully thoughtful for Pete to be the biggest, most long running Champion the Bluegrass Jam. Thank you sir.
BTW if he reads this, Pete thank you for an old book called How to Work a Band. Don't know if i even got the name precisely right. But again thoughtfullness, comes to mind. Within the pages you can see how Hot Rize was no accident. The team, not just the pickers, thoughtfully considered every aspect of what ended up still being an enduring entity nobody wants to see end. Even if you never want to start or be in a band, buy it if you can find a copy. It was written in a time before computers, and how they conducted business was very, wonderfully low tech. And you know what? Low tech is cheap. And that's just what you need. And the considerations for every aspect of a professional presentation are enduring and everlasting. If you see a stadium show today, you'll see aspects of preparedness, and professionalism that still ring true, and are discussed in the book.But you'd never notice them with the untrained eye. I've gushed long enough. Thanks again, Mr. Wernick.