PDA

View Full Version : Any books devoted to just rhythm mandolin?

mandoenvy
Jan-20-2011, 4:45pm
Hello,
Does anyone know of a good instruction book on just mandolin ryhthm options?
Looking for ideas for embelishing ryhthm both in strumming and chord patterns. I have Sam Bush ryhthm dvd, but looking for something more in depth as far as different chord structures and strums. Dont get me wrong, I love the Sam Bush DVD, just would like more options.
Thanks

AlanN
Jan-20-2011, 5:02pm
I believe John Mcgann, known board prowler, put out a rhythm DVD/book. Check him out.

Markus
Jan-20-2011, 5:43pm
It is hard to get a handle on interesting rhythm playing as it's pieces here and there as far as I've found.

John McGann does have a rhythm DVD. I have it, have found it quite useful. Some great metronome tips if you're starting and he does a good job at covering rhythm sort of `top to bottom'. I have recommended it to a friend [who does play guitar] - it's not mando specific, as guitarists also keep time.

The Mike Marshall DVD #2 I would highly recommend. Likely you've seen it, but if not I would say it's the most useful DVD I've found regarding mandolin. I wish I had seen it's guitar equivalent 25 years ago as in 10 minutes he dissects every chord shape in about ten minutes with a first, third, and fifth inversion of all of them. Awesome.

I'd like to take a look at the Grisman - Shady Grove tab book to see if his rhythm work is detailed there [or if someone has it, they can let us know]. That would be a good source of `in action' rhythm playing at least.

Other than that it's been bits and pieces in this book and that - I'm tuning in to see what other suggestions people have.

A good rhythm player makes everyone around them shine, something I aspire to.

JFDilmando
Jan-20-2011, 5:53pm
Sam Bush has a backup book and CD.... or something quite close.

Steve L
Jan-22-2011, 9:47am
John McGann's "Rhythm Mandolin" DVD is quite different from his "Rhythm Tune Up" which is the non-instrument specific one on playing in time with a metronome.

mandoenvy
Jan-25-2011, 3:42pm
Thanks guys, Ill check those out. I have not seen the Mike marshall DVD, Ill check that out, it sounds interesting.
thanks again

Perry
Jan-25-2011, 4:01pm
And a shout out for the Niles chord book (http://www.elderly.com/books/items/46-13.htm) Lots of good info there.

Markus
Jan-25-2011, 4:22pm
John McGann's "Rhythm Mandolin" DVD is quite different from his "Rhythm Tune Up" which is the non-instrument specific one on playing in time with a metronome.

Thank you for that correction, Steve. I was unaware there was another of his DVD's I need :)

jse01
Jan-25-2011, 7:29pm
Do the Mike Marshall DVD's come with any kind of booklet? Just curious. Thanks in advance!

--Joe