PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wondering about Kentucky 140, 150 and 160

Tom Koons
Jan-19-2011, 4:35pm
So I am ready to pull the trigger on my purchase and I have narrowed it down to the Kentucky brand. I went to a store and tried the 140 and it sounded pretty good, but the store was selling it for $270 and I have seen it for way less online. I would love to support my local shop, but i am a single dad of 2 young kids and I need to support them first so every dollar counts. My question is I've seen 140s 150s and 160s all listed within $30 of each other and I don't know what the difference would be in any of them. Any suggestions or info would be appreciated.

mandroid
Jan-19-2011, 4:45pm
Play them, 1st hand information thru your ears is best.
identical appearance can have somewhat different sounds , trim is more of the appearance differences,
but sound is independent of trim .

if you have to buy remotely then just go for the bottom line ... cost..

But, seller should do the pre delivery set up. that is a cost , labor.
low price warehouse sellers don't even open cartons.
and so Who you get it through , matters.

Reid1
Jan-19-2011, 4:52pm
I'm somewhat of a newbie too, so my advice will have to be taken with a grain of salt.
Assuming the KM-140 your local store has in stock is a 2009 or newer model, it should have a solid top and laminated back and sides. Prior to 2009 the 140 was laminated top, back and sides, while the 140S had the solid top and laminated back and sides. Essentially the new 140 is for all intents and purposes the same mandolin as the old model 140S. I own a 140S and it is a fine starter mandolin with very nice tone.
The 150 is the same as the 140 with the exception that the sides and back are also solid, while the 160 series is also all-solid and is one step up from the 150. Theoretically the 150 and 160 should have have better tone than the 140, however I can't say because I've never played either.
$270 though for a 140 does seem high, particularly if it turns out to be old stock and therefore a laminated top. I would certainly verify the solid top prior to purchasing.
Honestly, you cannot go wrong picking up a 150 or 160 from any one of the cafe sponsors. That way you are guaranteed excellent set-up and service. The price for a 160 shipped from a sponsor would be less than the local price of $270 being asked for the 140. That's a big enough price difference to sway me. Your results may vary.
Robert from FolkMusician will hopefully chime in with his view of the difference between the 3 Kentucky models you have mentioned. He's probably the cafe expert on starter mandolins.

EdHanrahan
Jan-19-2011, 5:04pm
Quick general impression of bottom-of-the-line Kentuckys: For the $, better than any equivalent Rogue, Rover, Fender, Washburn, etc. And I do have a Rover RM-35S, besides some more, uhmm, reputable instruments!

Do go with one of the Cafe sponsors (on the home page) or participants, like Big Joe or Folkmusician. They'll do an excellent setup.

Tom Koons
Jan-19-2011, 5:13pm
I was really amazed at the sound the guy at the store was getting out of it. It's a good thing he played it for me because when I played it, it sounded like a severely injured cat.

Mike Scott
Jan-19-2011, 5:44pm
I have a km 160 I purchased as a travel mandolin. I purchased from a sponsor for $269 including case and I think shipping. Set up was spot on. They had more than one in stock and I told them to send me the best sounding of the bunch. It sounds pretty darn good, plays easily and stays in tune amazingly well. All solid with "hand carved" top and back. IMHO a much better deal than a 140 would be. Hope this helps you reach a decision.

Denny Gies
Jan-19-2011, 6:10pm
Mandroid said it all; play each and decide which sounds the best to you.

Reid1
Jan-19-2011, 7:24pm
Playing each model to see which 'sounds' best seems like a great idea. But exactly how does a newbie do that? For those who can actually play it's fine to pick up a few mandolins in a store and compare them, but for many of us just starting out that is like one of the Seven Labors of Hercules.
I can't speak for the OP, but as a newbie myself, I'm terrified of playing a mandolin in a store. And even if I did, I can barely make one sound decent in the comfort of my own home, let alone in the middle of a shop in front of other people. How does one tell the difference between 3 'severely-injured-cats'?
If I could spend a weekend with several models I like, choosing a beginner mandolin would be much easier. Unfortunately, I've yet to find the store that will let me take one mandolin home for a weekend, let alone three.

rgray
Jan-19-2011, 7:26pm
Assuming that you will buy online due to finances, (free setup, free shipping, and maybe a case) remember that other costs may need to be incurred. Picks, tuner, spare strings, instruction book(s), strap - whatever you may decide you might need (after due research). The online cost for accessories will probably be cheaper than in-store and if you buy along with the mandolin they will simply be thrown in with the mando and you get free shipping on those as well. Check out my blog for some info I have gleaned from the internet since I started playing.

Tom Koons
Jan-19-2011, 8:10pm
That's the problem I have. I am not close to any music stores except the one I just visited and they have a used mandolin from the 30's for $125, the one Kentucky I played and then they go up to a minimum of $600. I liked the sound of the Kentucky because it didn't sound "tinny" if that makes sense. It had a deep rich sound. If anyone has suggestions for other mandolins and online stores to go to, I would appreciate that as well.

TDMpicker
Jan-20-2011, 9:11am
I bought a KM150 as my first mandolin and thought it was a very nice instrument to learn on.
I got mine for around $250 from the Mandolin Hut.

Robert @ TheFolkMusician has the KM150 and does a very good setup.
http://www.folkmusician.com/Kentucky-KM-150-Mandolin/productinfo/KM-150/

Toycona
Jan-20-2011, 10:58am
I bought a KM 162 as my first mandolin, and it has played well and even opened up some (for a $260 instrument). I got mine at The Mandolin Store on line (who always treat me as if I'm spending big bucks - a very classy bunch!!!), so I didn't get a chance to play the instrument that became my own. However, a friend loaned my his travel mando (a KM 160) and endorsed it as every bit worth the pennies I'd spend. I've been happy with it in most ways. The only criticism is that after two years of consistent playing, it's showing some serious fret wear. I do play a lot, but two years??? All in all, I'd say that the KM 162 was a great first instrument for me, and The Mandolin Store is a very easy place to shop for instruments w/o being local. Great set-up, very generous advice over the phone, good deals, etc. They minimize the risk of buying an instrument on-line...though it's always best to play it first if you can.

Tom Koons
Jan-20-2011, 11:28am
Well after careful consideration I am making the trek to Ithaca Guitar Works where they have a used 150 in excellent condition that has been set up and serviced by their in-house master luthier. A bargain with a bag at $175 I think. Really excited and soon I will be typing with sore and bloodied fingers :). Thanks for your input.

allenhopkins
Jan-20-2011, 12:00pm
Tom, you'll do well at Ithaca Guitar Works. Very reputable store. If you're in "trekking" distance of Ithaca, I would also recommend that, when/if you get ready to upgrade, you consider the excellent dealers in the Rochester area.

John Bernunzio (http://bernunzio.com/)

Dave Stutzman (http://www.stutzmansguitarcenter.com/)

They, along with Bernie Lehmann, have a great selection of instruments in different price ranges.

Tom Koons
Jan-20-2011, 12:14pm
I will do that Allen. I live near Elmira so I will have to check those stores out when I'm in the Roc. Plus it gives me a great excuse to go to Dinosaur BBQ while I'm there :)

Tom Koons
Jan-20-2011, 8:57pm
Just back from Ithaca Guitar Works and I felt I had to say this (A) Thank God I didn't buy online and (B) the people there (a father and son I think) are first class individuals. Not even a hint of snooty or snobby attitudes when I told them I was a beginner. They really took the time to walk me through some dos and donts and I didn't even ask them to. Really first rate people.