PDA

View Full Version : Jon Zorn's McClanahan "Trinity" F-5

Mandolin Architect
Jan-16-2011, 10:55pm
Hey everybody! This is Jonathan McClanahan and this is a mandolin that I am building for our Mandolin Cafe friend Jon Zorn. I thought you might like to see one of my Trinity models in progress. Every facet of this mandolin as well as all of my mandolins are built by hand. I have some videos coming in the near future of me carving out Jon's scroll by hand with the miniture chisels that you see in picture. Enjoy! Jonathan McClanahan

Mandolin Architect
Jan-16-2011, 11:08pm
Here are some more pics of Jon Zorn's mandolin! Jonathan McClanahan

DrewPrince
Jan-16-2011, 11:28pm
Beautiful! Can't wait to see it progress.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-17-2011, 3:04am
Visit Jonathan's website to look at a finished "Trinity" model. It's one of the most beautifully 'elegant' "F" models that you're ever likely to see. It's great to see the 'in-build' pics though - thank you Jonathan,
Ivan

Tavy
Jan-17-2011, 5:14am
I'm a sucker for binding like that - lovely!

billhay4
Jan-17-2011, 1:51pm
Very nice work, especially the carving.
Bill

Steve-o
Jan-17-2011, 2:34pm
I'm a sucker for binding like that - lovely!

x2! Impeccable wood working and visually stunning photos too. Suppressed MAS emerging...

catmandu2
Jan-17-2011, 2:42pm
Beautiful. This is not THE John Zorn, is it?

F-2 Dave
Jan-17-2011, 4:43pm
It's beautiful already. Can't wait to see it when it's done.

JonZ
Jan-24-2011, 6:01pm
Jonathan informs me that it is done and in the mail. I suppose suppose he will be posting some more pictures soon.

A few details, for those interested. I asked for an "abbreviated Florida", instead of a "scooped Florida" or "Open Book" finger board that he usually does. So, since it was already a little bit of a departure, Jonathan suggested a "fire pot" instead of a flower pot. I am very pleased with the way it looks, and it has been nice working with Jonathan.

Regarding all other details, I just asked him to make it as pretty as the one he is holding on his web page.

Paid for with some inheritance from my parents. It will remind me each time I practice of their love, and their encouragement of my musical interests.

Jim MacDaniel
Jan-24-2011, 7:01pm

LOL -- that was my first thought as well, but it turns out that this is for THE Jon Zorn.

Jon: looks like your new instrument is going to be a stunner -- but just to be sure, you've never gigged at the Knitting Factory, have you? ;)

JonZ
Jan-24-2011, 7:07pm
No, but I will tell you a funny story. Once I was driving, listening to a college station. The song ends and someone says "John Zorn". It was weird hearing my name called out like that when I was alone in the car.

Mike Black
Jan-24-2011, 7:10pm

That was my first thought too. :)

Jim Garber
Jan-24-2011, 8:13pm
Jonathan: beautiful mandolin, but you should link to your web site in your signature. That way I don't have to look it up again each time.

JonZ
Jan-27-2011, 11:36pm
Well, the Trinity arrived a day early, and I got to play it a little bit. My first impression is that it is exactly what I was expecting. It is very beautifully crafted, plays easily, and sounds great. I am not good at describing sound, but it is the sound I like.

Jonathan takes good pictures, so I will let him post his when he is ready. He did a nice little detail with the "fire pot" inlay, where the pot is white and the flame is multi-colored. If you like what you see and hear on Jonathan's website, that is exactly what you get. The pictures that show his detail work are worth a thousand words. The man has skills.

mandolirius
Jan-28-2011, 12:15am
I remember a memorable concert in Vancouver with Zorn and Eugene Chadbourne. Chadbourne played guitar and a variety of electrified garden implements. Zorn completely disassembled his tenor sax during the performance, at one point plaing only the mouthpiece. Some of Zorn's music can be a bit challenging, even inacessable to a lot of folks but one beautiful, quite mainstream project was the Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet. That is one fine jazz album!

JonZ
Jan-28-2011, 12:40am
Yeah, I was trying to imagine what the reaction at the local jam session would be if he took out a mandolin and did his thing.

Steve-o
Jan-28-2011, 6:42am
Hey Jon, Glad to hear your McClanahan arrived safe and sound and met your expectations. If it sounds half as good as it looks, it is a keeper. Enjoy!

Mandolin Architect
Jan-28-2011, 7:08pm
Hey Everybody! This is Jonathan McClanahan. Here are some of the finished pics of Jon Zorn's "Trinity" model McClanahan mandolin! If you are interested in ordering a custom mandolin I am currently taking orders. Enjoy! 678666786767868678696787067871

Randi Gormley
Jan-28-2011, 7:17pm
Wow.

Mandolin Architect
Jan-28-2011, 7:27pm
Hey Everybody ! Here are some more pics! 678726787567873678746787667877

JonZ
Jan-28-2011, 8:10pm
Oh, and I would be remiss not to say that Jonathan is a nice guy to work with (I think I'm a pretty easy customer too). He talked over all the details with me, and delivered on time, as promised.

scapier
Jan-30-2011, 2:36pm
Jumping Jehosephat that's a fine looking instrument. Now I'm back to being unsure what to do. Nice.

Mandolin Architect
Jan-30-2011, 8:21pm
Hey Scapier! from your responce sounds like you may be in the market for a mandolin?Let me build you a custom McClanahan F-5! Jonathan McClanahan

sgarrity
Jan-31-2011, 10:51pm
Nice lookin' mandolin!

Schlegel
Feb-01-2011, 3:32pm
I like the graduation of the sunburst. I just don't care for a sharp transition like some have.