PDA

View Full Version : Charles Jean Horner 2011 Builder Update

Chuck Naill
Jan-15-2011, 3:52pm
2010 was a challange for Mr. Horner. After enduring medical challenges that would cause some builders to close shop, it appears to have increase Charles' motivation to build and even renovate the shop making it more comfortable and convenient.

I paid a visit to photograph some recent and in progress builds for the web site I manage for him. He had just sold his last F5 the day before to a customer from Knoxville.

Also note Mr. Horner's long time friend and source for Cumberland Plateau maple, Danny Fucral.

Most of the red spruce used in production presently is sourced from the inventory of the late Ted Davis of Loudon, Tennessee. Mr. Davis and John Arnold were partners in making red spruce again available beginning in the mid 1980's from the Smoky Mountains in East Tennessee and trees from West Virginia.

Remember to double click the photos if you need a close up.
http://charlesjhornerviolins.blogspot.com/

Caleb
Jan-15-2011, 5:03pm
Thanks for posting this, Chuck. I checked out that blogsite and enjoyed the video. Looks like great stuff he's making. How do the mandolins play/sound?

Lynn Dudenbostel
Jan-15-2011, 5:04pm
I'm so glad to hear that Gene is back in the shop. This is really great news! Gene looks good in your photos. Were they taken recently?
Lynn

Chuck Naill
Jan-15-2011, 8:18pm
Thanks for posting this, Chuck. I checked out that blogsite and enjoyed the video. Looks like great stuff he's making. How do the mandolins play/sound?

Thank you for looking, Caleb.

Yes, his mandolins have a quality tone and easy play. I am using the "Mrs Griffith" style A5 featured on the site for my mandolin work presently. I did have some fretboard and fret work performed, but I have not moved the bridge or needed to alter the set up since it was built last Spring.

Chuck Naill
Jan-15-2011, 8:22pm
I'm so glad to hear that Gene is back in the shop. This is really great news! Gene looks good in your photos. Were they taken recently?
Lynn

Yes just a couple of weekends ago on New Years Day, Lynn.

chuck:)

Stephanie Reiser
Jan-16-2011, 9:04am
Charles is an amazing man. Thanks for the update, Chuck.

grassrootphilosopher
Jan-17-2011, 5:35am
I hope he´s doing well. I enjoyed the photos from his shop in "the other" thread. It seems to be a nice place to work. I hope he is on the upswing concerning his medical condition. His instruments are nice.