PDA

View Full Version : looing for a beginner mandolin

morebosco
Jan-15-2011, 3:37pm
Hey folks,

I'm looking into getting a beginner mandolin and would love to hear some thoughts on good models.

I'm looking for something probably in the $400-$600 range. My main concern is playability. I'd definitely be willing to trade sound quality for something that is easy to learn on and is comfortable. Previous experience with other instruments has shown me superior tone is often lost on a beginner anyway : )

Thanks in advance for your comments!

JEStanek
Jan-15-2011, 5:04pm
Welcome to the Cafe.

$400-600 will get you a very good first instrument. In fact there are many options from Eastman, The Loar, Kentucky, Mid Mo/Big Muddy, Redline Traveller (latter two are flat tops). More important than the name as these mandolins in this price range (dollar for dollar) are pretty similar to one another, is the set up. Places like our sponsors do provide set ups with their instruments. I recommend you try some out if possible to see what kind of neck fits your handor call a couple of sponsors, tell them your playing style preference and budget and listen to their options.

If you're coming to mandolin from guitar, you may prefer a wider/more substantial neck (i.e., the Kentucky more than the Eastman). In general, you'll get more tone for your dollar from an A style than an F style and used rather than new.

Jamie

Jill McAuley
Jan-15-2011, 7:30pm
What Jamie said!

I'll add that in your price range the Kentucky KM 505 is a great mandolin for the $$ and you'd likely get plenty of mileage out of it before needing to move up. Also the Eastman 300 series would be worth checking out. If you're buying online, try to go with a vendor who'll provide a good set up as part of the deal, examples would be several of the Cafe sponsers like The Mandolin Store or Folkmusician.com - a good set up makes all the difference in a starter mandolin.

Cheers,
Jill

TDMpicker
Jan-16-2011, 9:14am
I would go with a The Loar LM-400 for around $499.
Great A-style mandolin.

bmac
Jan-16-2011, 12:18pm
Unfortunatly you don't say where you are located... so it is difficult to recommend local area sellers but many of the major sellers sell quality standard brands mail order. Case in point is Mandolin Brothers of Staten Island, NY. Google them... they have a great web site and have lots of mandos in your range and all of their new instruments are set up and ready to play... I bought a Mid-Missouri (now Big Muddy) there some years ago and it is a fine first mandolin. Set up is a very important issue for quality sound and playability And most (or all?) discount sellers do not sell set up instruments.

morebosco
Jan-16-2011, 12:32pm
Thank you all for the tips...I will definitely look these!

Bmac, I live in the Upstate South Carolina region, in Clemson. I was thinking of buying online but would be willing to make a drive to Atlanta or Charlotte for the right reasons.

The only store I know of that specializes in acoustic instruments around here is a place called Fifth String up in Greenville, SC. I was going to do a little research before making my first trip up there. If you know of any other dealers around here that would be worth a look I would greatly appreciate it...thanks again!