PDA

View Full Version : What line up would you pay your hard earned cash to see?

Scotti Adams
Jan-13-2011, 8:59am
A fellow Cafe' member and I have been having a conversation..and although this may sound crass...there arent too many current bands that would fall into the catagory of this post title for us. Which got us asking ourselves what line ups we would like to see. Mix and match band members if you will. It could be musicians that have passed on linked with living....could be any mix of musicians that you would think sounded good and worth your hard earned $$$. Etc

Rex Hart
Jan-13-2011, 9:23am
I paid $185 a tcket for me and my wife to see Paul McCartney in Kansas City. No regrets whatsoever. However, on the bluegrass side here are a few:

JD Crowe and New South (00044) line up. Skaggs,Rice,Douglas,JD, etc.

Lonesome River Band (Carrying The Tradition) line up. Tyminski,Bowman,Shelor and Austin.

Bill Monroe 1946 line up.

New Grass Revival (Barren County ) line up with Courtney Johnson and Curtis Burch before they went too commercial.

sunburst
Jan-13-2011, 10:11am
...oops...

sunburst
Jan-13-2011, 10:17am
The best bands I've ever heard all had good musicians in them, but not "the best" musicians. I've heard top musicians get together and play "all star" gigs, and they sound good, but they sound like a great jam session, not a band.
I think a band of people who get along with one another, especially musically, who know how to support one another, who are working to make the band sound better, who aren't trying to be "the star" and who have their egos in check make the best bands. Sometimes a line up that one would think would really work well might suffer from personality conflicts, different ideas of how the music should sound, and other compatibility problems, so I don't think I could make a hypothetical "pick-up band" with any confidence that they would sound as good as some of the best bands I've heard.

I once heard the Good Ol' Persons, with Kathy Kallick, Sally VanMeter, John Reischman, Kevin Wimmer, and Tod Phillips. Those are all great musicians, but I wasn't prepared for them to be one of the best bands I've ever heard, and to this day they still rank as one of the best bands I've ever heard.

JEStanek
Jan-13-2011, 10:29am
I would imagine something like the Mandolin Symposium Instructor Concert would be well worth the money. Dawg, Marshall, Thile, Statman (and his bassist and drummer), Don S., Catterina L., Don J., Sam Bush. From the those from the beyond, Jethro, and Yank.

In fact, as a pretty technically unproficient player, it would likely be worth the cost to attend the Symposium just to hang out with these folks and learn what I can.

Jamie

mandopete
Jan-13-2011, 12:01pm
I assume you are talking about musicians that are living, correct?

I have been fortunate to see a couple of neat "reunion" shows by Old & In The Way, Hot Rize and the DGQ. I have a hankering to see a reunion of The Good Ol' Persons and Tony Rice's spacegrass groups as well.

Scotti Adams
Jan-13-2011, 12:15pm
No..they dont have to living. For instance...I would have loved to have seen Bill, Frank and Dorsey together..almost did but not quite.

mandotopia
Jan-13-2011, 2:30pm
Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Bela Fleck, Stuart Duncan, Tony Rice, Mark Shatz. I saw this lineup at the Birchmere once upon a time. I would pay to see them again.

Mike Snyder
Jan-13-2011, 3:01pm
I saw that same bunch, except Brian Sutton instead of Rice. In Kansas City. That's one.

Tbone
Jan-13-2011, 5:04pm
I would love to see a Johnson Mtn Boys reunion.

farmerjones
Jan-13-2011, 5:12pm
Oh yeah, Hot Rize would have to be at the top.
Rhonda and the Rage. NBB.
Doc and whomever, probably Jormah.
Norman Blake and James Bryan.
Quebe Sisters.

As far as the past and gone:
Lester & Earl (not dead) with Benny Martin.
John Hartford.
Bill Monroe with Kenny Baker(not dead)

LoneStarMandolin
Jan-13-2011, 5:18pm
this may not be popular, but I'd pay to see Doyle Lawson (and have). He and his band are just mighty entertaining. I'd pay to see Rhonda Vincent and the Rage, Adam Steffy and the Boxcars, and Hot Rize.

Spencer
Jan-13-2011, 6:29pm
I would give a lot of money to have seen the Bray Brothers at their peak, as well as F&S with Benny Martin. And I would love to have the chance to see IIIrd Tyme Out live, I've only heard their recordings so far. Maybe someday. Flamekeeper would also be very much worth spending money on. There are lots of good choices.

Spencer

re simmers
Jan-13-2011, 7:03pm
Lead singer & bass guitar: John Cowan
Tenor singer & rhythm guitar: Jamie Dailey
Baritone singer & mandolin: Sam Bush
Bass singer & Banjo: Terry Baucom
Fiddle: Mark O'Connor
Lead guitar: Tony Rice

I'd pay $200 to see a one hour show.

Bob

Willie Poole
Jan-13-2011, 7:03pm
T. Bone...That ain`t ever going to happen......I wouldn`t pay to see any band ...if I could sneak in or get a free pass....Willie

chasray
Jan-13-2011, 7:30pm
I saw Peter Rowan with Tony Rice, Adam Steffey and Mark Schatz and I would pay to see them again.
The same goes for Hot Rize, which I was fortunate to see at the Ryman a couple of years ago.
Love B. Sutton but would like to have heard Charles Sawtelle as well.

Austin Koerner
Jan-13-2011, 9:55pm
Hot Rize and AKUS when Adam was with them

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-14-2011, 2:23am
I'd love to see again,the band that Sally Van Meter brought over to the UK in '92 - Sally Van Meter - Dobro / Scott Nygaard - Guitar / Tony Furtado - Banjo / John Reischman - Mandolin, & Beth Weil on Bass. That line-up recorded the album "All in Good Time" & John Reischman's Mandolin break from the tune "High Country" is one of the most glorious Mandolin breaks i've ever heard to this day,
Ivan

Scotti Adams
Jan-14-2011, 8:00am

Bob

Now thats what Im talkin about!

bones12
Jan-14-2011, 12:19pm
Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers with Ted Hawkins, Riley Puckett,Clayton McMichen, Fate Norris, Bert Layne and Lowe Stokes around 1929. Heavenly triple fiddles, mandolin and crazy crazy music that I would pay a great deal to listen to and even more to play with. That would be sublime. Doug in Vermont

allenhopkins
Jan-14-2011, 5:14pm
Well, I did spend a bit of cash, in the Pleistocene Era, to see the Nashville Grass with Lester Flatt and Curley Seckler on guitar, Benny Martin on fiddle, Kenny Ingram on banjo, Marty Stuart on mandolin, Charlie Nixon on resonator guitar, and Pete Corum on bass. Opening act was Del McCoury and the Dixie Pals, which didn't hurt. Earl Scruggs Revue with Josh Graves on res. guitar and Vassar Clements on fiddle was pretty good, too. But one of my all-time favorites was an impromptu onstage jam at the Fox Hollow Festival, in 1971 or '72, with John Hartford's Aero-Plain band (John on banjo, Vassar on fiddle, Norman Blake on guitar and Tut Taylor on resonator), joined by David Bromberg on guitar and Alan Stowell on fiddle. One short set, but it was magical.

johnny
Jan-15-2011, 3:11pm
I've got tickets to Delfest and Telluride Bluegrass Fetival, both of which I think are well worth the money, though Telluride is a bit expensive. There's tons of good bands out there that are worth going to see, maybe more than ever. There are some bands that I would love to see but are long gone but, overall, it's a good time to be alive!

mandolirius
Jan-17-2011, 10:46pm
Here's a couple. I could do several but these two lineups feature my favourite BG lead singers.

Band # 1

Red Allen - guitar
Frank Wakefield - mandolin
Eddie Adcock - banjo
Vasser Clements - fiddle
Tom Gray - bass

Band # 2

Bill Monroe - mandolin
Edd Mayfield - guitar
Bobby Hicks - fiddle
Earl Scruggs - banjo
Jack Cooke - bass

EdSherry
Jan-18-2011, 12:31am
Emmylou Harris: rhythm guitar and lead/harmony vocals
Clarence White: guitar
Jethro Burns: mandolin
Dale Potter or Johnny Gimble or Bobby Hicks: fiddle
Jerry Douglas: Dobro
Bill Keith: banjo
Mark Schatz or Edgar Meyer: bass

Hey, we can dream, can't we?

That said, I agree with John H's point that it's not so much the quality of the individual musicians as it is their ability to blend together into a "whole" that is "greater than the sum of its parts." It takes time together to achieve that; otherwise, as John H says, it's a "jam band" rather than a band. But I can imagine that lineup working together to polish material, and it scares me to think what it might sound like.

I recall seeing Peter Rowan, Jerry Douglas and Mark O'Connor (I think, though my memory may be playing tricks on me) play a set at the Grass Valley Bluegrass Festival in California many years ago. I have NEVER heard so much music coming from only three musicians. (The day before I'd heard Berline/Crary/Hickman and thought it couldn't get much better than that from a trio.) Terrifyingly scary.

Mike Bunting
Jan-18-2011, 1:06am
Here's a couple. I could do several but these two lineups feature my favourite BG lead singers.

Band # 1

Red Allen - guitar
Frank Wakefield - mandolin
Eddie Adcock - banjo
Vasser Clements - fiddle
Tom Gray - bass

Band # 2

Bill Monroe - mandolin
Edd Mayfield - guitar
Bobby Hicks - fiddle
Earl Scruggs - banjo
Jack Cooke - bass

Good choices, why not let the Monroe line-up have two guitars and add Jimmy Martin to the band?

mandolirius
Jan-18-2011, 1:30am
Good choices, why not let the Monroe line-up have two guitars and add Jimmy Martin to the band?

a) two guitars ain't no part of nuthin'

b)Jimmy would hog all the lead vocals

Actually the Jimmy Martin era BG Boys would be great, too. Monroe, Jimmy, Rudy Lyle, a pick of several good fiddlers and maybe Howard Watts on bass.

Austin Koerner
Jan-18-2011, 1:49am

Bob

That sounds great except for the Jamie Dailey part.

re simmers
Jan-18-2011, 9:53pm
Austin,
I can't think of anyone else who could tenor Cowan, and Cowan is too good to not sing lead. How about Russell Moore?

Bob

Austin Koerner
Feb-02-2011, 11:21pm
Austin,
I can't think of anyone else who could tenor Cowan, and Cowan is too good to not sing lead. How about Russell Moore?

Bob
Russell is great. What about Steve Gulley?

300win
Feb-03-2011, 1:35pm
Carter Stanley, Don Reno, Kenny Baker, Bobby Osborne, Tom Gray. I think that would be a mix that I would pay money to see and listen to.

sloanypal
Feb-03-2011, 1:41pm
I agree about the Old New Grass Revival lineup. Also the DGQ with Tony Rice, Mike Marshall, Darol Anger...

300win
Feb-03-2011, 1:47pm
I was fortunate enough to see the original Newgrass Revival at Berryville, VA. festival in '70. One of my favorite bands ever, just the first guys that recorded what I call 'the green album", the one that they are standing in front of what looks like an old store. "Whisper My Name", "With Care From Someone", " Body and Soul", " Ginseng Sullivan " that album. Awesome !!!!

Popeye39
Feb-03-2011, 8:15pm
Jamie Dailey could tenor a dog whistle.:grin:
I saw Dailey and Vincent open for Doyle and QS. Yep, I'd pay to see them again. 100 miles wouldn't be too far to drive, either. I'll also pay to see Thile, and have many times, whoever he is with. Yep, he's a bit much at times, but great is great.

eighthnotepicker
Feb-03-2011, 8:32pm
The Boxcars :)

Rroyd
Feb-03-2011, 9:55pm
A few years back the RiverCity festival featured what seemed like a "dream band," with Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Dan Tyminski, J.D. Crowe, Stuart Duncan, and Barry Bales, but it came across more like John H's description, with a bunch of great people jamming. Whether it would have clicked had they practiced more than an hour or two, we can only wonder, but as it was, about all that could be said was that it was fun seeing some legends on stage at the same time, generally playing the same song at the same time.

Rroyd
Feb-04-2011, 11:25pm
Way to go, Rroyd! You killed another thread. Maybe it would be best if you just quit posting, honest opinion or not!