PDA

View Full Version : Here's some shots of my mandolin(s)

Jerry Hayes
Jan-13-2011, 8:55am
Here's some shots of my mandolins. The first is my old F style, it's over forty years old but it's not a Gibson even though it says that on the headstock. It was made by a man in southeast Virginia by the name of James Williams. It's a beautiful antique natural finish with an ebony fretboard and Schaller tuners. A couple of years ago I started collecting autographs on the face of it. So far I have: Ricky Skaggs, Rhonda Vincent, Bobby Osborne, Jesse McReynolds, Roni Stoneman, Leona Williams, Joe Hoppel (DJ Hall of Famer), and 70's country singer Bobby G. Rice. It has the Fishman ebony bridge with a built in piezo pickup and sounds great either acoustic or electric.

The next is my old (Made in Japan) Epiphone A-Style. I bought it about thirty years ago in So Cal when I still lived out there. It's all beat to crap as I've experimented with several different pickup configurations over the years but it sounds wonderful unplugged!

Lastly is my Epiphone Mando-Bird. It's a pretty radical looking solid body 8 stringer but sounds good and can compete in the volume category with most electric guitars without feeding back. Just for a joke a couple of years ago I took it to an outdoor bluegrass jam along with a small battery powered Roland amp. You should've seen some of the horrified looks I got from some of the participants at first but it got better later on..........Here are some shots......JH in Va.

JEStanek
Jan-13-2011, 8:57am
Nice collection and welcome to the Cafe, Jerry.

Jamie

Jerry Hayes
Jan-14-2011, 8:08am
Here's a shot of another mandolin that I used to play about thirty years ago. It was a Harmony F-Style that sold for about $149 brand new back then. It wasn't much acoustically so I just bought it to make an electric instrument out of. That worked well until I was trying to adjust the truss rod one time and it actually broke! What a quality instrument, eh?......... I then decided to just make a clock out of it so I bought one of those battery powered clock movements at the crafts store and installed it into the mandolin. I didn't think about the body of the mandolin amplifiying the "ticking" of the clock but that baby was LOUD, LOUD, LOUD!...... I just took out the battery and it's been hanging on the wall of my music room since around 1983 or '84........ Here's a shot of it...............JH in Va.6723767237

bernabe
Jan-14-2011, 8:23am
Well, I guess Harmonies can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'