PDA

View Full Version : Meet my new friend Blackie, AKA Boston Blackie.

Lou Giordano
Jan-12-2011, 6:25pm
My new LM-600BK. Just a quick teaser until I can shoot in decent light.

We are becoming great friends. My CA bridge arrived today. Tone guard in a couple of days. I am using a borrowed tone guard, it does help stop the muting caused by my big bellie :grin: Can't wait to hear it with the new bridge and fresh strings.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/sweet_lou/CopyofBlackie006.jpg

Dobe
Jan-12-2011, 6:31pm
Purty scroll ! Is it just me or does that fingerboard look a little dry ?

Enjoy !

Lou Giordano
Jan-12-2011, 6:43pm
Purty scroll ! Is it just me or does that fingerboard look a little dry ?

Enjoy !

Thanks Dobe.

The fretboard looks like that because I had to hit it with so much light just to get a decent exposure. The fret board is a couple of shades darker than it is in the photo, it got a little bleached out. Like I said more to come when I have some decent light.
That wasn't bad for hand held at 15th of a second.

F-2 Dave
Jan-12-2011, 6:53pm
Very nice. and don't worry about the big belly, black is slimming.

Charles E.
Jan-12-2011, 7:48pm
Is the whole thing black? Or just the top? Some of those The Loar's have some nice wood, it would be a shame to cover it up.

Lou Giordano
Jan-12-2011, 9:29pm
Yes Charlie it's all black. You should check out the Weber Black Ice at the Mandolin Store.

Thanks Dave. ;)

Charles E.
Jan-13-2011, 7:33pm
Lou, I have seen a photo of the Weber 'Black Ice', pretty cool mando. I used to have a teens black topped Gibson F-2 years ago, had to sell it to pay for school, I still miss that instrument! Any way looks like you got nice mandolin.

Fstpicker
Jan-13-2011, 8:01pm
Nice!! Love to hear how it sounds some day.

Jeff

Brent Hutto
Jan-13-2011, 8:22pm
I'd say it sounds pretty good on its own, sounds real good with the Tone-Gard. My own mandolin gains a little bit of volume from the Tone-Gard but "Blackie" just booms with it on there.

Lou Giordano
Jan-13-2011, 8:35pm
Nice!! Love to hear how it sounds some day.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

I would like to post a couple of clips of before, stock with the strings it came with and after, with the CA bridge and tone guard. That will not be fair to the mandolin. I only have a few months under my belt. I would have to get some kind of promise that I will not be banned for extreme cruelty to a mandolin :grin:

Ed Goist
Jan-13-2011, 8:36pm
Really nice, Lou. Congratulations and enjoy it!

Lou Giordano
Jan-13-2011, 8:46pm
I'd say it sounds pretty good on its own, sounds real good with the Tone-Gard. My own mandolin gains a little bit of volume from the Tone-Gard but "Blackie" just booms with it on there.

Thanks Brent.

You heard it with the stock bridge and strings. I'm really looking forward to hearing it with the upgrade and new strings. Blackie and I are really starting to get along.

Lou Giordano
Jan-13-2011, 8:47pm
Hey Ed, thanks.

Brent Hutto
Jan-13-2011, 8:57pm
Lou,

You really ought to consider posting even a few seconds apiece of the "naked" and "Gard" clips that you made the other day. It's the clearest demonstration I've come across of what Tone-Gard does for some instruments.

Don't be shy, go for it.

Lou Giordano
Jan-13-2011, 9:22pm
QUOTE=Brent Hutto;880244]Lou,

You really ought to consider posting even a few seconds apiece of the "naked" and "Gard" clips that you made the other day. It's the clearest demonstration I've come across of what Tone-Gard does for some instruments.

Don't be shy, go for it.[/QUOTE]

OK. Here goes.

Factory strings and bridge 67232

Factory strings and bridge + Toneguard 67231[

:popcorn:

Brent Hutto
Jan-13-2011, 9:42pm
Anyone who has a WAV editor or the Transcribe (tm) program ought to download Lou's clips and zoom in on the waveform. You can actually see the sustain in the form of fat "shoulders" immediately after the attack.

Ed Goist
Jan-14-2011, 12:01am
Really nice work on the sound clips Lou. Sounding very nice to me in both clips.
I especially like the "out front presence" of the tone. Nothing timid about that mandolin.
Well done, and congratulations on the mandolin!

Lou Giordano
Jan-14-2011, 12:23am
You made my day Ed. Thanks

Lou Giordano
Jan-17-2011, 8:46pm
I thought I would add this clip of Blackie with all the new items added.

It has a CA Bridge, Toneguard, Allen Tailpiece, armrest. and new GHS A270s.

It is still my newbie playing so....

Before as it came from the factory. 67370

After with all the above. 67371

Fstpicker
Jan-17-2011, 11:16pm
Big difference in the trebles especially. Lost that "tinny" treble sound and more rounded and richer.

Jeff

Ed Goist
Jan-17-2011, 11:27pm
Very cool comparison, Lou. Thanks for posting.

I've listened to both clips several times, and I'd say any differences in tone I'm detecting are very subtle.

I do think, though, that there are slightly more overtones in the 'after' clip. I also think that the mandolin is responding a little better and faster to the string vibration in the 'after' clip. If you did any hammer-ons or pull-offs before the upgrade, try them now. I'm guessing the mandolin will respond to these things better. This improved response is, however, a double edged sword because the enhanced responsiveness also applies to unwanted things like stray pick or palm brushing of the strings, or pick-click.

All-in-all, I really like the way the mandolin sounds. I'd characterize it as out-front or assertive...Perfect for fiddle tunes or the Blues. Congratulations and good job!

Londy
Jan-18-2011, 12:11am
Amazing difference in sound Lou. How did you learn to make these changes? I really like the sound of Blackie. Congrats on a job well done! Thanks for sharing the sound bites.

Lou Giordano
Jan-18-2011, 7:35am
Big difference in the trebles especially. Lost that "tinny" treble sound and more rounded and richer.

Jeff

Thanks that's good news Jeff

Lou Giordano
Jan-18-2011, 7:37am
Very cool comparison, Lou. Thanks for posting.

I've listened to both clips several times, and I'd say any differences in tone I'm detecting are very subtle.

I do think, though, that there are slightly more overtones in the 'after' clip. I also think that the mandolin is responding a little better and faster to the string vibration in the 'after' clip. If you did any hammer-ons or pull-offs before the upgrade, try them now. I'm guessing the mandolin will respond to these things better. This improved response is, however, a double edged sword because the enhanced responsiveness also applies to unwanted things like stray pick or palm brushing of the strings, or pick-click.

All-in-all, I really like the way the mandolin sounds. I'd characterize it as out-front or assertive...Perfect for fiddle tunes or the Blues. Congratulations and good job!

Big help, Ed thanks for taking the time and for the kind comments.

Lou Giordano
Jan-18-2011, 7:43am
Amazing difference in sound Lou. How did you learn to make these changes? I really like the sound of Blackie. Congrats on a job well done! Thanks for sharing the sound bites.

Hey Londy welcome to the Cafe.

I learned about the changes here on the forum. Lot s of good help here. I am a tinkering/tweaking adict, I have always been.

Brent Hutto
Jan-18-2011, 9:00am
I am a tinkering/tweaking adict, I have always been.

Really? Gee, I hadn't noticed...

Lou Giordano
Jan-18-2011, 7:26pm
Really? Gee, I hadn't noticed...

:)) You haven't seen anything. You should have seen me building my Bracket race car in the 90s. :grin: