PDA

View Full Version : best pickup

russgriswald
Jan-12-2011, 3:43pm
I was wondering which kind of pick up to get. One thats the bridge its self. I like the bridge i have and i thought that maybe the bridge with a pick up would mess with the sound i have. or i've seen these things that stick inside the f-hole and also some guy that had a really small mic mounted outside the f-hole. Never wanted a pick up but ive been seeing people who run one and then step up to a mic for a break and thought that it was pretty cool.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Russ Griswald

mandroid
Jan-13-2011, 2:19am
got a budget range ?, we can drop the names of some expensive stuff if thats the Best you have in mind.

an archive search will come up with hundreds of 'Best" opinions,

you , in Ky, can go to shows and ask about their signal chains, too.

Tim2723
Jan-13-2011, 7:26am
Hi Russ and welcome to the Cafe,

Like Mandroid said, there's tons of info here about pickups, but we need more info from you first. How much did you want to spend (they can be $50 or hundreds of dollars), how often will you use it (sometimes playing into a microphone is better), where and with whom will you play (different setups work better in different situations).

russgriswald
Jan-13-2011, 9:58am
well first off i work at a music store so if its offered at any of the places we order from it shouldn't cost me all that much.
But if there are any independent companys that are pretty good, i'd like to look into them.

I play pretty often live, mostly small places with bad sound and sometimes outdoors on big stages. and i play mainly... uh almost any kind of music you can play on the mandolin. lol i would say bluegrass more than anything being that were i live theres not a lot of jazz players. haha

that what ur looking for??

Tim2723
Jan-13-2011, 10:09am
So you're playing in a variety of venues that have different needs and you play amplified pretty often. That sounds to me like you can justify a decent system. Personally, the two I like most are the Schertler Dyn-M and the Baggs Radius with its companion pre-amp. You're looking at around $500-ish plus any cost to install the pickup if you want it inside the instrument.