PDA

View Full Version : Silverangel Myrtle back A

kyken
Jan-12-2011, 8:47am
Here's the latest from my shop. A friend of mine Randy Rowe sent me a piece of Myrtle, it is a new wood for me, but it works really nice and has a good look, very silky and smooth to sand. THe top is Fir he sent me as well. Tone bar construction and very nice sound here..........

Skip Kelley
Jan-12-2011, 9:23am
Ken, that is a great looking mandolin! I love your work! The Myrtle is very cool looking. I love the peghead shape! Great job!

jasona
Jan-12-2011, 9:51am
I also love the peghead shape. Wild wood that myrtle. How does its tone stack up with maple in your opinion?

kyken
Jan-12-2011, 11:25am
well, the Myrtle is as good if not better. /it has a little greenish cast to it and a different smell, not a bad smell, just different from maple. thanks,

Chip Booth
Jan-12-2011, 11:42am
Ken, nice job, that is great looking wood. I have heard a few myrtle guitars that sounded nice, so I imagine it could do a fine job for a mandolin.

I have to suggest that with the attractive angles of the peghead and the grain of the back wood I would like to see the end of the fingerboard mirror those angles a little more.

rbrowe
Jan-12-2011, 2:57pm
Ken-Thanks for posting; I knew you would put that wood to good use-still hoping to hear it in person next month, along with all the other ones. I think I have some more of that myrtle kicking around here somewhere....:mandosmiley:

D C Blood
Jan-12-2011, 3:45pm
Hey Ken...great looking and, I'm sure, great sounding mando. Are you guys gonna be down, per usual, for SPBGMA?

kyken
Jan-12-2011, 5:26pm
yes, We will be at SPBGMA. I will have I think 6 mandolins. Four F's a Fantasma and this A. I will be in the first room where you don't have to pay in the front by the door. Come by and try my mandolins.
Thanks,

Mark Walker
Jan-18-2011, 11:09am
Ken - that's a beauty. I love the grain, finish and color of that A!

So that myrtle wood offers a comparable sound and tone to your fine maple-backed mandolins? Gosh I wish I could meander into the SPBGMA event! :)

D C Blood
Jan-18-2011, 7:56pm
I'll try to have a few of our Silverangel endorsers pickin' a little at the booth during the event. Got some fine pickers showing off the SAs...