PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Gibson F5fb Mandolin information request

Dr. D
Jan-10-2011, 1:49pm
I have a 2004 Gibson F5/fb Mandolin that I just purchased. Anybody have any information on this one. Label says it is a Master Model. I have read the thread on dating by serial number. Is there a list of newer Gibson serial numbers? Does the fb stand for flame burst? I am also wondering what it might be worth. It is in excellent condition, no issues and sounds like a good Gibson should.
thanks
Dr. D

pickloser
Jan-10-2011, 2:10pm
Charles Johnson, of Mandolin World Headquarters, gave the following description of an F5 f/b he had for sale a while back:

In 2004 Music Machine, a store in Seattle, had 26 custom F5Gs made. Has an Adirondak red spruce top, which is the same top wood used on the old Loars as well as the new Gibson Master Models. It’s already a powerful sounding mandolin and will just get better, as red spruce takes about a year of hard picking to really open up. When that happens this mandolin will need to be registered as a weapon of bluegrass jam mass destruction. It also has a nicely figured flamed maple back, sides and neck, a bound fingerboard and sunburst lacquer finish all around in the lighter 1923 Loar style burst, pearl logo and flowerpot headstock inlay, 1 1/8 nut, triple bound top with a bound flat ebony fretboard. Unbound back like the F5G. Comes from Gibson without a pickguard.
And here's a thread that discussed these a bit: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?46919-Gibson-F5G&highlight=Music+Machine+Gibson+spruce