PDA

View Full Version : Bowlbacks are like potato chips

Bob A
Oct-22-2004, 8:05pm
OK, you folks down here got me into my first bowlback maybe two years ago. Since that time, I've found that they are terribly addictive (all right, my personality defects work against me, too).

What I want to know is, is there anyone hereabouts who has Just One Bowlback? (All those who bought their first one in the last two months need not reply, unless of course you find that Just One More is becoming a recurring theme).

How about: is there anyone who would like to get back to Just One Bowlback?

Jim Garber
Oct-22-2004, 8:33pm
Easy... if I had to keep one it would be my Pandini which is my prime playing bowlback. Of course, the Martin is a jewel with incredible workmanship... er I need that one italian one...okay I definitely have the same personality disorder. In fact, I have many more of everything. Not only bowlbacks... for instance I have 8 Gibson mandolins alone. And don't get me started in guitars...

Jim

Eugene
Oct-22-2004, 9:41pm
Respectively, no and no.

mandocaster
Oct-22-2004, 10:00pm
All that I could see of the topic in the Forum list was "Bowlbacks are like pot". I was thinking that was a pretty extreme assesment.

John Craton
Oct-22-2004, 10:25pm
Once you go bowl, you'll never go back.

guitharsis
Oct-23-2004, 5:38am
Mine is rather enchanting. . .

manjitsu
Oct-23-2004, 6:11am
My very first bowlback- a De Meglio- is on the way as we speak. I am more than a little bit excited.

Some people say the word "addiction" like it's a bad thing!

-Chris Rorrer

Jim Garber
Oct-23-2004, 9:00pm
Scary...

I did an informal count and I have 13 of this bowlbacks in various states of playability.

Jim

John Bertotti
Oct-24-2004, 7:39am
I have only one since may. (Thanks Jim) Man how I want more. Not for the similar tone but for the slight differences. I just can't stand the prices of the ones I've seen on ebay especially when it is an unknown source to me. I must learn to build them and fix them. John

Bob A
Oct-24-2004, 10:12am
Sometimes the differences can be remarkable. I share your pain over prices, but since I already have too many of these things, I suppose I should quit whining and go play.

vkioulaphides
Oct-25-2004, 6:47am
Well, Bob... as one can only play one bowlback —or, for that matter, one of ANY instrument—#at a time, I have recently been more likely to pick up the new (and thererefore perfectly intact) Calace than any other one from my assortment.

Would I just turn around and sell all the others? No. Still, confronted with the rather sizeable repertoire (of which I play 1%), and the equally broad and deep technical spectrum (of which I master even LESS than 1%), I have found myself focusing much more on upgrading my playing and/or learning new music than seeking "The Truth In The Bowl".

I am, in other words, tuning in to my own playing instead of to the properties of any particular instrument.

Either that (hypocritically), or I am plain broke (closer to the truth). #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jim Garber
Oct-25-2004, 6:57am
I am, in other words, tuning in to my own playing instead of to the properties of any particular instrument.
There are two aspects of my personality at work here. One is my predilection for acquiring/collecting. I have accepted that part of me that needs to have more than one of everything: various instruments, sheet music, books, CDs, old instrument catalogs, vintage photographs, etc.

The oher side is that drive to better my musicianship which should be the more important of the two. I have to balance the two given the lack of time for both.

Jim

Bob DeVellis
Oct-25-2004, 7:07am
I guess I'm odd man out, here. One and only one bowlback, a Martin Style 5. I have to say that putting the Lenzner consort strings on it instead of those nasty GHS ultra-lights has made it a much more appealing instrument to play. I think bowlbacks are great but I'm more wary about buying them without a personal hands-on inspection than other types of mando that are less likely to have been subjected to forces outside of their intended range. So I'm less often tempted by bowlbacks than by other old and uncommon instruments. But I'm glad I have the one I have and I think everyone with multiple mandolins should make room for at least one bowlback.

Jim Garber
Nov-03-2004, 12:37pm
Here (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=14185;st=125;r=1;&#entry204768) is proof positive of the addicting nature of these things. Scroll down to the end.

Please don't call my doctor He will just increase my medication. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Jim

manjitsu
Nov-03-2004, 2:04pm
Jim, that is an awesome assemblage. A veritable bowl-o-rama.

I'm going to show this picture to my wife in an attempt to demonstrate how truly moderate my own behavior is! ;-)

Regards,

Chris Rorrer

Jim Garber
Nov-03-2004, 2:28pm
I'm going to show this picture to my wife in an attempt to demonstrate how truly moderate my own behavior is! #;-)
Yes, I am here to serve.

Jim

guitharsis
Nov-04-2004, 6:37am
Wow. Very impressive, Jim.

PlayerOf8
Nov-04-2004, 8:16am
Six years, I told myself I can stop at anytime. Three years ago, when I gave up smoking, I purchased one mandolin for each month that I was smoke free. I've traded and bought and sold mandos like a diamond merchant on Wabash Street. I know I could stop. I just traded for a great instrument. I went to bed that night thinking I was cured. I had an anxiety dream about mandocelli, and the rat race starts all over again.I don't see this as some sort of monkey on my back or MAS or even comfort food. These instruments need a good home and someone who will take care of them. That's the story I'm using these days, and I'm sticking to it.
I also have a huge collection of koa wood ukuleles.

George

Jim Garber
Nov-04-2004, 8:20am
I know of a collector in the West who has over 400 bowlbacks. Makes us pale in comparison.

Like George I have put much oif my funds and eneergy into accumulating instruments. I buy and sell them in order to upgrade my collection.

I started buying bowlbacks because 1) they were relatively cheap and 2) I was exploring the different acoustic properties of them after having played std carved top instruments for many years.

Jim

Bob DeVellis
Nov-04-2004, 8:47am
Jim, you have some real gems there. I especially admire the Waldo. It's nice to know that they're all in such good hands.

Jim Garber
Nov-04-2004, 9:40am
There are quite a few that need the expert hand of a quality luthier and a few others that need a little of my time to have them in playing condition.

Waldos BTW are notorious for warped tops esp in the middle between the f-holes.

Jim

trebleclef528
Nov-04-2004, 11:44am
37 bowlbacks at the last count and 23 flat/semi roundbacks... no wonder my wife goes nuts!

Ian

Jim Garber
Nov-04-2004, 11:52am
Ian:

Just curious, of all yours, what is your instrument of choice?

Jim

guitharsis
Feb-06-2005, 4:35pm
My second vintage Italian bowlback is on the way. It's a de Meglio.
ebay auction #3779624019.

Doreen

Jim Garber
Feb-06-2005, 8:31pm
Doreen:
Great! Congratulations!

I guess you were able to convince the seller to ship outside of the UK?

Jim

Martin Jonas
Feb-06-2005, 8:43pm
Great indeed. This one looks very nice, with a very clean soundboard. The bridge is clearly non-original, so I hope that the original brigde that the seller mentions but doesn't show is still usable (or at least salvageable). The string downholder is missing as well, but I wouldn't worry to much about that -- I'm very sceptical that they have a significant effect anyway.

Martin

guitharsis
Feb-07-2005, 7:13am
Thanks Jim and Martin!

Jim, I asked the seller if he would consider shipping to the USA three or four days ago. He e-mailed back that he would check on it and then quickly e-mailed back what the postage would be to the USA. I waited awhile to see how the auction was going and then bid.

Martin, I do hope the original bridge is OK also. Guess will see when it arrives. He's sending it out today. I do know that he's owned it the last 35 years or so and that it is playable. It will be interesting to compare the de Meglio to the Stidente.

Doreen

vkioulaphides
Feb-07-2005, 3:53pm
Well, Doreen... congratulations! I hope you love your de Meglio as much as I do mine. Please post your impressions, once it arrives. Parenthetically, I don't see why sellers would not ship to XYZ location. Money in their hands is money in their hands; the rest escapes my comprehension.

Also parenthetically... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif I have lately come to the conclusion —perhaps obvious to others— that in MAS-related questions, the argument (with "the man/woman in the mirror") is totally pro ratione: We want them, we get them; that's all. And aren't we happier for doing so?

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Cheers,

Victor

Jim Garber
Feb-07-2005, 4:08pm
I don't see why sellers would not ship to XYZ location.
Well, as a sometimes seller, I can see reasons to not ship to certain locations. Other than the problems associated with scam-ridden countries, there are some places where it is difficult to deal with customs, currency exchange, and overblown shipping prices.

I just shipped a mandolin to Canada and it is at the moment in UPS limbo because UPS decided to collect exhorbitant fees from the buyer prior to delivery. He refused delivery and UPS decided to start shipping the mandolin back to me.

A few years ago I shipped two violins to Japan and it took about 3 months for them to get there because they were stuck in customs.

A friend in Bologna wants to give e a stack of Italian sheet music but it would cost over $100 to ship it to me at even the slowest rates.

These and other reasons why I am hesitant to ship to other countries.

Jim

NYClassical
Feb-07-2005, 6:50pm
wow. you guys impress me. jim, i would LOVE to get you started on your guitar collection!

here's my tally so far:

bowlbacks: 0

gotta do something about that!

bratsche
Feb-07-2005, 8:07pm
Heh... same here, so don't feel bad! Bowlbacks are like pot, indeed. (Well, I remember what happened with that.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif )

Oh, and congratulations, Doreen!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif bratsche

Jim Garber
Feb-07-2005, 8:13pm
jim, i would LOVE to get you started on your guitar collection! #
I don't mention my guitars on this board. Most are steel strings tho I do have one decent nylon strung. Frankly, I ama collector and will admit to my sins. I have more than some stores do. Don't ask...

Adam, what mandolin are you playing? We will have to send you for a fitting at our bowlback haberdashery.

Jim

NYClassical
Feb-08-2005, 12:59am
well, the truth had to come out sooner or later... i got into mandolin last september-- had to pick one up for a gig and didn't know if i was in it for the long run or not. i wasn't going to get a $150 piece o junk, but wasn't prepared to drop a few grand, so i got a takoma for $600. i know around here that's sort of the equivalent of having go-cart instead of a BMW, but i have to say, for the money it does the trick-- good intonation, solid construction, and (at least to my neophyte mandolin ears) a decent sound.

so the first job went really well and now, as you all can see, i am kind of hooked, and at this point, planning to take a stab at it. so yes.... i think i need to be fitted!

Adam

guitharsis
Feb-08-2005, 6:41am
Thanks, Victor and Bratsche!

I'll post my impressions once it arrives, Victor.

Hopefully, it will arrive next week. I can see from Jim's post that things don't always go smoothly when receiving goods from or shipping them to another country.

Doreen

vkioulaphides
Feb-08-2005, 8:36am
Thanks for enlightening, Jim. As I am no seller at all, I wouldn't have thought of all those reasons. Still, the predicament of this particular seller was shipping to the U.S., not to Angola; I would have thought that doing business with the U.S. is not, ah... terribly suspect and inconvenient. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

On the other hand, we are all familiar with the hassles of getting responses from Calace (in industrialized Italy), dealing directly with the Lenzner Co. (in the now unified, former "East" Germany), or the Canadian adventure (in our Friendly Northern Neighbor) as you report above. So, there must be some, sad truth to sellers' fears.

Jim Garber
Feb-08-2005, 8:55am
Adam:
Believe me, you are fine with your Tacoma. They are decently made instruments. I think this section of the board is somewhat less judgemental as to what we play. Tho we do like to talk ad infinitum about our instruments, the music is more important and as long as the instrument does not get in the way of the music and you get the sound you like, use whatever you like.

Many of us do play bowlbacks and there are quite a few who do not.

best
Jim

Eugene
Feb-08-2005, 10:50am
...so i got a takoma...
...Well, at least it's not an Ovation! (Just kidding...kinda.)

NYClassical
Feb-08-2005, 12:17pm
haha
thanks for the kind words, guys.. the tacoma is great for the money and is certainly doing the job for now... but i am pretty convinced that i want to take this a step further, so 2005 will probably see and upgrade in the 'little fretted instruments category' of my life....i hope!

adam

Bob A
Feb-08-2005, 12:22pm
The biggest hassle I've faced with overseas mandopurchase has involved US Customs and Fedex, a vicious combination. I bought two antique Italian bowlbacks, which were shipped via Fedex. They did not make clear to the shipper that he must declare them to be antiques, and duties of $150 were slapped onto the shipment. Fedex paid the duty then charged me. I refused to pay, since the instruments were in fact antiques. No one cared. Customs decided the duty stayed; Fedex offered to fight the issue for $75. My contention is that they should have taken proper care at the point of origin properly to declare the items. So far I've got some threatening letters from Fedex, and I suppose it will eventually go to the Guidos, who will call me at odd hours demanding money, which I will refuse to pay.

Oddly enough, I've never been hassled about duty for any of the other mandolins I've purchased from abroad; coming from UK, Australia, Germany, or Greece; though I did get into an argument about one bought from France (and shipped by, surprise, Fedex).

Thank heaven our borders are being carefully patrolled, keeping instruments of MAS destruction at bay. Ebay, usually. Our home-grown bowlback manufacturers are well protected, keeping that vital segment of our economy safe from foreign competition.

Interestingly enough, the box from Italy, a plywood crate screwed together and sealed an every edge with the signature of the seller, provides an insight into problems faced by shippers from that interesting land. Apparently there is a high enough incidence of their own customs folk dipping into shipping to make excessove security precautions the order of the day. The concept of kleptocracy has trickled down to the level of the common man, apparently. Mission creep?

Jack Roberts
Feb-08-2005, 2:06pm
Bob A: I do a lot of shipping: both importing and exporting. You can save yourself some grief in the future if you set yourself up with a customs broker (in the yellow pages) and let them handle the importation. Fedex is notoriously bad a this, and have made serious errors in the past for us, although they are good at routine stuff.

You would have the shipper ship to your customs broker as the consignee, rather than to you, and they would handle the proper declarations. We have one case where if the slip up one digit on the UTC, the duty goes from "Free" to "25%". This is one a 250,000.00 piece of instrumentation. I don't trust that to FEDEX!

Jack

Plamen Ivanov
Feb-08-2005, 2:13pm
Hm, I`m going to buy a mandolin from the USA these days. Obviously Fedex is not the right choice for shipping. What do you suggest?
Oh, and I have also a guitar. I wouldn`t mention that, but ... It`s made in Japan and distributed by the Decca distribution company from New York, where it was bought from and now it`s by me in Sofia. This guitar hasn`t used Fedex services, otherwise it would be still in Japan or at an any custom, waiting for someone to pay for someone else`s bad done job. Don`t pay, Bob!

Good luck!

guitharsis
Feb-15-2005, 7:41am
The deMeglio arrived yesterday, late afternoon. It was very nicely packaged and took exactly one week to get here, so no problems with customs.

The mandolin is in very good conditon, not a mark on it except for a little one in the headstock. #The former owner even put some felt underneath the strings; near the tailpiece and also on top over the fretboard. It has been well cared for and is ready to play. #

The extra bridge that is included is probably also non-original because it is a bit bulky. #As Martin noted, the string downholder is also missing. #Other than that, the mandolin is in 1A condition. (It is a 1A). http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Doreen

Edit: Forgot to mention that the tone is very nice even though the strings are probably old. I'll have the mandolin restrung with Lenzner Consort strings soon.

vkioulaphides
Feb-15-2005, 9:41am
Byoo-dee-ful! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Enjoy, Doreen!