PDA

View Full Version : Swollen Knuckle

rico mando
Jan-05-2011, 1:08am
So i went surfing today , the water was very cold about 41 degrees F. i am hoping to surf tomorrow it will probably snow though the water will still be 41.i wear a suit ,gloves and boots but eventually the hands and feet get cold first.

the point ;
my knuckle on my ring finger ,middle joint ,strumming hand ( thank god ) is red on one side ,sore and a little swollen . there were no accidents or collisions with other surfer or large rocks today so i figure it must be from the cold.

as i am new to the experience of being older (only 43 ) i was curious if any one had any insight to this condition and why it happened ,and any remedy's or recommendations for relieving or preventing it. not surfing is a last resort and moving some where warm is not currently doable .

i have taken an ibuprofen and have just realized this has nothing to do with mandolin but if it moves to my fretting hand i'm up the creek .

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-05-2011, 1:40am
Maybe your body's telling you that something isn't right. If it occurs again & keeps on doing it,consult your Doc. Things like that tend to get worse over time if you don't back off for a while.Hopefully, it might just be a one-off occurrence,if not ........,
Ivan

Murphy Slaw
Jan-05-2011, 6:27am
Maybe your body's telling you that something isn't right.
Ivan

Yea. Like that you're 43 years old and you're surfing in 41 degree water in January.

:whistling:

Just typing that made MY finger hurt......

:grin:

allenhopkins
Jan-06-2011, 10:38pm
Oops -- thought "Swollen Knuckle" was a new hard-rock band...

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-07-2011, 2:55am
Sounds about right Murphy !!,
Ivan;)

Jim DeSalvio
Jan-07-2011, 8:23am
You call 43 OLDER???? Just wait.

Hope your knuckle gets better soon.

SGraham
Jan-07-2011, 9:26am
I commiserate with Rico's sore finger but need to thank him for a title for my new slow fiddle tune!

Tom Wright
Jan-07-2011, 11:56am
In the two decades since I turned 40 I've had some weird episodes of swelling or other bump on a knuckle or two, various joint complaints, occasional nerve strangeness. Stuff tends to go away, so don't panic. It can be an arthritis-like inflammation, or a fluid-filled myxoid cyst. If the former, use Advil, if the latter wait and see if it shrinks. If not, try lancing if it is puffy.

rico mando
Jan-07-2011, 12:34pm
Its all better now but i have not surfed since . its just that surfing in cold water and mandolin playing do not seem to mix . i really enjoy both the same amount though so its hard to pick one over the other.