PDA

View Full Version : To bush or not to bush?

toddjoles
Feb-15-2004, 3:10am
I'm working on my stewmac campfire mando kit and in the instructions it says to not ream and bush the peg head. This just seems wrong to me!! I think the tuners will bind and cause tuning problems. I have talked to a few players and they agree with me but players aren't luthiers. Any advice would be appreciated. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Chris Baird
Feb-15-2004, 2:43pm
If your tuners have bushings with them by all means put them in. I haven't built from a kit but I can't think of a reason why not to install the bushings.

toddjoles
Feb-15-2004, 3:17pm
Thank's Chris, I got the Schallers with bushings. Please excuse my ignorance, but what size reamer would work best on the peg head.

Chris Baird
Feb-15-2004, 4:40pm
Get an end pin reamer.

toddjoles
Feb-15-2004, 7:20pm
Thank's I'll order one this week!!

MandoViking
Feb-17-2004, 11:41am
I'm almost done with my first F-5 and reaming out the peghead holes is the only thing I have left to do. I drilled a 15/64" hole in a scrap maple on the drillpress and then put in a 21/64" bit and aligned it up as best as I could and drilled down 1/4" on top of the first hole. It was off center, so that tells me that's not a safe way to do it. Any pro's out there who could tell me how they do it? Thanks

Chris Baird
Feb-17-2004, 12:54pm
I never try to redrill a hole that has already been drilled. It will almost certainly be off center. Just drill your hole through at 90 degrees to the peghead face then ream it out from the back so that the bushing can "snap" in place with medium finger pressure. The bushing shouldn't jiggle around in the hole but it should be easy to get out without chipping up the veneer. It is a subtle difference between just right and too loose.