PDA

View Full Version : Bought my new mandolin - Thanks to everyone for your patience!

Reid1
Dec-31-2010, 6:29am
First of all, a huge thank-you to all of the Cafe members who have been extremely patient and helpful over the past couple of weeks in answering question after question about various mandolins. It was clear from comments, thread searches etc. that a Kentucky mandolin should be at the top of my list.
I ended up purchasing a Kentucky KM-340S new from a local website for $221 Canadian. It was by far the best deal I could find in Canada. In fact the ONLY Kentuckys I could find in Canada were new 340s or 380s. The 340s were priced between $339 and $399, while the 380s were close to $400, both well over my price range. I did find a used 150 for $280 with case, but that seemed high for a used instrument. Ordering a KM-150 or 160 series from a Cafe sponsor was my first choice but none had any in stock.
Then yesterday, while surfing some Quebec websites in French, I stumbled across this KM-340S for $221 and free shipping. Interestingly the SAME mandolin on the English website of the same company was $329. All of the other mandolins were the same price whether in French or English. The KM-380s was $389 on both the French and English websites.
Anyway I grabbed one, along with a nice gig bag that was $15 with a mandolin purchase. Should be here sometime next week. Until then the Rogue will get a lot of play!

Brent Hutto
Dec-31-2010, 6:58am
Reid,

It is possible that the particular one you found had a laminated soundboard instead of solid spruce. Some old threads on the Cafe mentioned that at some point a number of years ago a few "KM-340" mandolins with laminated tops, as distinct from the usual "KM-340S" models with solid tops and laminated backs and sides. You might check the label and see if it has that "S" or not.

Reid1
Dec-31-2010, 7:07am
I'll of course double check it when it arrives Brent. However it is clearly listed as a 350S on the website and says it has a solid spruce top. The description posted is identical to that on the Kentucky website. It's also a new instrument with warranty and a 30-day money back return policy. The warehouse to this company is only a 40-minute drive away so if there are any issues I should not even have to worry about return shipping :grin:

Reid1
Jan-03-2011, 4:55pm
Well you knew this was going to happen... the store called me today to say the 340S had been discontinued and replaced by the 350S and would I like to upgrade to the 350S. I pointed out that they had billed my VISA and confirmed the 340S was in stock on Dec. 31, but I would be happy to take a 350S at the same price if that was what they were proposing.
They're going to look into it further and call me back :-)

rgray
Jan-03-2011, 5:43pm
Best of luck to you. Hopefully they will do the right thing, take the loss, and make good on their original deal.