PDA

View Full Version : really want to start mandolin; Kentucky 380

tremonti9000
Dec-24-2010, 11:01pm
I have played mandolin for maybe 5-10 minutes, but I really want to learn.
I recently bought a cheap violin, and I am kind of glad I did not invest in a real nice one.

I have played guitar (elec and acoustic) and sang for 10 years so far, and want to learn mandolin. I read on this forum that the Kentucky 250 is a popular SOLID WOOD cheap mandolin, but I kind of want to step up into something a bit nicer.

I am familiar with many different Fender guitar models, and how many of them are priced differently, not neccessarily on objective craftsmanship but sometimes parts like tuners/bridge/pickups.

Do you think the Kentucky 250 is gonna be as good a mandolin as its worth getting?
I personally think some of FENDER's barely improved 'inbetween popular' models are not worth it. Is there much of that kind of pricing in the mandolin industry, and does it become a matter of detailed parts like upgraded tuners, etc?

I like the look so an A-style mandolin better, and I kinda dont like that idea of an acoustic/electric mandolin that looks ugly. Do most at-least-semi-serious mandolin players plug in in a live situation or mic?

KM-380S-Artist-A-Model-Mandolin-

I found one of those online MINT used (I think it was just a returned one).

Do you think I should buy it for about $340 new, or maybe $300 ish used?

Grommet
Dec-24-2010, 11:25pm
Trem-
The Kentuckys, when set-up correctly, consistently get good reviews on this site. That particular one would likely be a very good starter mando new or used. The Kentucky 505 is the most recommended Kentucky model for beginners, and is said to be a professional quality instrument. Goes for a little more at around $430, and it is also an A-STYLE. Whichever fits your budget would be a great choice. Be sure to purchase one from an outfit that includes a good set-up, such as one of the Cafe sponsors.

Happy Holidays!

Scott

tremonti9000
Dec-24-2010, 11:35pm
Hey Scott

Thanks man.
Concerning the topic of acous/electric, do you consider the 380S to be kind of an average relatively cheap mandolin even though it doesnt have an output jack?

I bought a used 380S from music123.com

Grommet
Dec-25-2010, 2:35am
Much nicer in my opinion than alot of the Rouges, Savanahs, etc. Way nicer tone than my Santa Rosa..but I continue to get good service out of mine. Your 380-S could serve nicely as a back-up long after you've upgraded to a higher end mando if you go down that path. Cant comment on the accoutic/elec aspect as I've only messed with plugging in ralative to lap steels.

Enjoy,

Scott

Alex Orr
Dec-25-2010, 5:13pm
I've got one. It's about as good a mandlin as you'll get in the "cheap" price range. If you want to go around $500 look at Eastmans or the Kentucky 505. Some folks like The Loar mandolin (which is not to be confused with a Lloyd Loar made Gibson mandolin which could you run as much as $500k).

ost mandolin players use instrument mics or clip on mics. Most mandolin players do not use electrfied acoustic mandolins featuring volume and tone knobs like you'd see on a strat.

Pricing really goes up because of the wood and the craftsmanship, although some folks occasionally argue that some name brand (okay, one name brand in particular) charges more because of the name on the headtsock. Pricing also goes up for F-style mandolins, though the scroll has absolutely no impact on the instrument's sound.

Irénée
Feb-02-2015, 11:30am
Hello !
What difference comparing with the KM-900 model ?
Regards,

Randi Gormley
Feb-02-2015, 1:53pm
I'm not sure they still make the 380S -- I bought one about 10 years ago and sold it used about three years ago. It was a fairly nice instrument but fell asleep when it wasn't being used. On the other hand, it was a perfectly fine instrument and miles ahead of the Rogue I had at the time. I don't know where in the Kentucky line it fell and what would be comparable these days. Maybe one of the people who sell Kentuckys would know.