PDA

View Full Version : My weekly Breedlove question

mandobob
Oct-21-2004, 8:32am
Quartz OO; with the bridge wheels as low as possible the action is still too high (eyeball estimate 1/8th").
I wonder if I can shave the areas that contact the wheels, both top and bottom.

Lee
Oct-21-2004, 8:55am
You're just itching to modify that thing! Post up in the Builders section. A lesser mandolin might have this kind of problem but it's unusual to hear of it from a Breedlove.

mandobob
Oct-21-2004, 9:51am
Oh I'm difinitely a modder, but this is more of a maintainence thing. Honestly! I ordered the strings suggested (011s) and was doing a simple setup when I noticed the height.
It's within 'BG specs', but higher up the action gets too high.
I need it get it down so I can put the Bigsby Vibrato on it. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Lee
Oct-21-2004, 10:18am
and some pin-striping!?

mandobob
Oct-21-2004, 10:57am
Oh man, another project!

Steven
Oct-21-2004, 3:43pm
Oh YUK,YUK,YUK!You guys are a scream!

Mando Medic
Oct-21-2004, 10:31pm
There are several ways to lower the bridge. You can remove the thumb wheels, cut the indents for the thumb wheels 1/8 in deeper and take half that off the bottom of the top saddle piece and then reassemble. That should get you down just right. Kenc

mandobob
Oct-22-2004, 8:44am
Whoa! I did (almost) that last night. I didn't go to an 1/8th
though. I took a babystep and just went down a hair.
It did get slightly better, my concern was not weakening the bridge.
Thanks, I'll take some more off and let you know.

Mando Medic
Oct-24-2004, 9:54am
Well there is that. You can go too far by doing that, but I think if you just need to go a little you can do that. I prefer to take it from the feet. More work but safer in the long run. Kenc