PDA

View Full Version : Bottom of the range Giannini mandolin.

olddog
Dec-20-2010, 12:47pm
I am looking for a Giannini GBSM 1. I have a GBSM 5 but it didn't come near it's cheaper cousin for tone or volume.
I've searched high and low and can't find any supplier in UK or Ireland (or even on mainland Europe).
The only dealer I could find in USA who used to stock it (8th Street), don't any more.
Does anyone know where I can get hold of one; preferable in Ireland or UK?

Jim Garber
Dec-20-2010, 2:46pm
That is strange that you like the laminated GBSM1 over the solid wood GBSM5. Why not contact Giannini directly and ask them where to buy one?

I did a quick search and it is possible they are discontinuing that model. It doesn't appear on their web site.

olddog
Dec-21-2010, 4:38am
Thanks Jim.
I did mail Giannini through their web site twice but got no reply. Their website is unclear as to whether they still do the GBSM1.

I know the GBSM5 is prettier. It has a brighter sound whereas the GBSM1 is much more mellow. I still have one GBSM1 but the sound board is a bit sunken below the bridge. It still sounds good to my ear and easier to play so I use it and not the 5.

I bought the GBSM1 from my teacher and promised to sell it back to him when I found another. So when I couldn't find a GBSM1 and found a '5'; I thought 'More money: more mandolin'. I can't love it the way I do the '1'.

The search goes on to fulfill my promise to my teacher.

John

Jim Garber
Dec-21-2010, 6:55am
Very interesting. That is what I heard about these Giannini's -- that they are relatively inconsistent. Of course, many Brazilian instruments when brought to the northern hemisphere don't fare as well. Rosewood esp develops cracks and I have a feeling that one of the braces on your 5 may have come loose with dryness due to central heating and the like. I would take it to someone and have it checked out. it might end up sounding a lot better.

BTW do you play Irish music on it or is there a choro scene in Ireland?

olddog
Dec-21-2010, 6:50pm
I'll do that. A local guy did set up the 5 for me (dropped the action and fitted a new bridge etc) but he wasn't looking for faults like that.
I play mostly Irish traditional music with a little 60s American folk. I don't know of a choro scene in Ireland but then again I haven't looked for one.
I noticed in your photos that you play and have a collection of bowelback mandolins. I started with one in the 1970s and now believe that my failure to progress was partly due to the difficulty in playing a bowelback. So I gave up the mandolin for 40 years and when at last my teacher put a flatback in my hands I found that I could play after all. I remain in awe of roundback players.

catmandu2
Dec-21-2010, 8:04pm
There is possibly one here in Missoula, MT -- the dealer I traded mine to a few months ago could still have it. It was structurally sound with no issues and had good tone.

Here is where I traded it -- Pete doesn't update his site very often, so his inventory list may not be accurate: http://www.netguitar.com/en/index.html

Jim Garber
Dec-21-2010, 9:39pm
I can see from the photos in comparison to more handmade bandolims that the Giannini would need a better bridge. The one on the GBSM5 looks much too thick. I think these bandolims sound best with the thinnest bone bridges.

Yes, I do have a few bowlbacks. Sorry they made you quit the instrument. I went the other way: started on std mandolins and switched to bowlbacks later, but i basically play either.

catmandu2
Dec-22-2010, 11:11am
I can see from the photos in comparison to more handmade bandolims that the Giannini would need a better bridge.

Quite so. I replaced the bridge on my former nini--mentioned above--with a simple one-piece rosewood bridge, but it sounds significantly better than with the its original factory bridge.