PDA

View Full Version : An iPhone, iPad, iTouch mini-tutorial

Scott Tichenor
Dec-17-2010, 12:26pm
Here's some fun for fellow iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch owners. I recently implemented a series of Apple icons on the Cafe so that if and when you set a short-cut to a web site on your desktop (I'll show you how in a bit) you get an image of our choosing instead of the default screen shot of the web page (boring, too small! hiss...). I encouraged Dan and Ted to do this on the Mandolin Archive and JazzMando.com and here are the results below--you should see the icons for the three web sites contained on the desktop:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=66057&d=1292606203

I don't own an iPad but I'll tell you how to set one of these on an iPhone. The instructions should be similar.

- Open a web site in Safari (the iPhone browser)
- Select the middle icon at the bottom of the screen (the one with an arrow)
- Select "Add to Home Screen"
- Wait for a few seconds and the custom icon will appear
- Rename the shortcut if you wish
- Click the "Add" button at top right. Done!

Why set one of these short-cuts? For the Mandolin Archive I have it going to a page where I can do a serial or stamp number search. For JazzMando.com I use it to check out what Ted is posting. Handy.

And for you Linux geeks, why yes, that is an SSH connection to the Cafe on my desktop. :)

MikeEdgerton
Dec-17-2010, 12:32pm
Gosh, for a second there I thought yu were gonna be passing these out :)

Scott Tichenor
Dec-17-2010, 12:34pm
Gosh, for a second there I thought yu were gonna be passing these out :)

I ain't Oprah, pal, but go ahead and check under your chair anyway.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-17-2010, 1:12pm
Funny, I was thinking ala Oprah. Nope, nothing under my chair.

Ted Eschliman
Dec-17-2010, 2:46pm
I've been an iTouch user for a couple years and an iPad owner since April. I didn't know about this feature. I started adding shortcuts to things like the local movie theater mobile site I use all the time.
Nifty!

Scott Tichenor
Dec-17-2010, 3:08pm
Some of you may see the free Metronome app on the iPhone screen shot above. Very nice little app. Use it quite a bit and recommend for the price it's hard to beat.

arossi
Dec-17-2010, 5:38pm
Thats great! Now how about those keen features for those if us rhat use an HTC evo?