PDA

View Full Version : Post a picture of your band!!

Pages : [1] 2

Aran
Dec-16-2010, 6:33am
Did a search and nothing came up that I could see!

Just happened to have some pictures done over the weekend by an out of work photographer which I thought looked quite cool so decided to share...

Would love to see some of yours too...

mandopete
Dec-16-2010, 9:43am
Great idea for a thread!

Band photo's are always a bit tricky and sort of a pain to do. Here's one that we did for Stay Tuned a couple of years ago....

Trey Young
Dec-16-2010, 10:20am
Fun idea Aran. I don't have any professional shots to share, but we do have one candid shot and one semi candid shot that I think are pretty good. Our bass player missed the dress code memo in the first shot, guess his golf game ran late. I'm hoping we can get an endorsement deal from the second shot :cool:...

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-18-2010, 2:36am
I wish i could !. The photos of my band disappeared over 40 years back. Unfortunately they were also the ones taken at the venue where we opened for Bill Monroe & the boys in 1966. BM's Banjo player at the time,Lamar Grier, could be seen sitting at the side of the stage during our 2nd spot,
Ivan:(

D C Blood
Dec-18-2010, 8:02am
66079:)

Patrick Sylvest
Dec-18-2010, 8:49am
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_omqUIEO4GuQ/TQy6RTQWD-I/AAAAAAAAAMY/v-S1JE15908/s640/MossLaFete2010.jpg

This'd be the Moss Pickers... Louisiana's Southernmost String Band! :disbelief:

John Rosett
Dec-18-2010, 10:33am
Here's a shot of my jazz group. The fact that we're all wearing black shirts is purely a coincidence.

John Rosett
Dec-18-2010, 10:35am
Here's a picture of a band I used to be in.

Jim Garber
Dec-18-2010, 11:53am
A couple of bands I was in from way back. Park bench shot of Wonderbeans was from late 1970s and Tunesmith from around mid-1980s.

Charles E.
Dec-18-2010, 12:10pm
Hey Jim, is that Ken Bloom playing the zither in the second photo?

Strado Len
Dec-18-2010, 12:16pm
Fred's Mobile Homes

Charles E.
Dec-18-2010, 12:19pm
Here is the southern string band at Sparta NC

resophonic
Dec-18-2010, 12:36pm
This is a picture from a contra dance we played last October. It was a balmy 40 degrees in the old barn the dance was held at. Note the little heaters on the floor in front of us. Billy Mathews on fiddle, James Eyman on mandola, Christine Breen on the banjo and me, Paul Breen on guitar. I think this was the coldest gig yet. We called ourselves Willy and the North Polecats.

Jason Kessler
Dec-18-2010, 1:15pm
Fred's Mobile Homes

Is that Larry Cohen on bass?

Jim Garber
Dec-18-2010, 2:05pm
Hey Jim, is that Ken Bloom playing the zither in the second photo?

Yes, it is. And the fiddler on the end is Sam Zygmuntowicz, master violin maker.

Charles E.
Dec-18-2010, 3:40pm
Here is my favorite photo of the SSB, taken with an old, wooden cased, large format, poloroid camera. It was at a music retreat in Bath NC. I am the one holding a 1932 National Triolian tenor guitar.

Strado Len
Dec-18-2010, 4:57pm
Jason:

Yes that is Larry Cohen on bass in the photo of Fred's Mobile Homes. Other group members are Beth Mead, banjo; Peter Lorch, guitar; and me, George Abramson on mandolin and guitar.

Charles E.
Dec-18-2010, 6:20pm
Patrick, that is an absolutly wonderful photo of your group. Kudo's to the photographer for capturing the moment.

Jill McAuley
Dec-18-2010, 9:33pm
Great thread and great photos everyone!

Cheers,
Jill

Mandolin Holm
Dec-19-2010, 6:08am
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/1230/oktober2010.jpg

My folk band, Barfota. I'm the really short one with a tambourine around my neck.

wwwilkie
Dec-19-2010, 11:00am

My band Boedak Boedak Kecoh (the Wild Boys) in Sumatra, Indonesia.
I'm the guy with the mandolin.

Jim Garber
Dec-19-2010, 11:04am
My folk band, Barfota. I'm the really short one with a tambourine around my neck.

Great photo, Mandolin Holm... for my info: does barfota mean barefoot?

Jessbusenitz
Dec-19-2010, 3:16pm
This is our group playing at my cousins wedding (I'm on the mando). the 2 on the right our my brothers and the banjo player is just a friend.

Chip Booth
Dec-19-2010, 4:50pm
Spare Change in Ketchum, Idaho, mid July this year. Yep, that's hail.

Ed Goist
Dec-19-2010, 5:03pm
Man, this is such a great thread! I'm impressed...Lookin' good folks! Keep those pics coming.
P.S.: Holm - I love all bands that have more mandolins than shoes! Bravo!

Mandolin Holm
Dec-20-2010, 3:55am
Great photo, Mandolin Holm... for my info: does barfota mean barefoot?

Thanks, and yes it does mean that!

Man, this is such a great thread! I'm impressed...Lookin' good folks! Keep those pics coming.
P.S.: Holm - I love all bands that have more mandolins than shoes! Bravo!

Yeah, who needs shoes when you have mandolins?

Ronny
Dec-20-2010, 6:10am
This is my band : Géill Sli, we were playing for a wedding this day...

Patrick Sylvest
Dec-20-2010, 9:50am
Patrick, that is an absolutly wonderful photo of your group. Kudo's to the photographer for capturing the moment.

Thanks, that was taken by the local newspaper. Luckily, they posted it online so I was able to grab it!

Patrick Sylvest
Dec-20-2010, 9:52am
Spare Change in Ketchum, Idaho, mid July this year. Yep, that's hail.

Chip! Don't leave us hangin'! How'd those instruments fare when the sky cleared?

MikeEdgerton
Dec-20-2010, 10:04am
Fandango Sky, one from a few years ago and one from this year.

Chip Booth
Dec-20-2010, 12:03pm
Chip! Don't leave us hangin'! How'd those instruments fare when the sky cleared?

There was a Gilchrist, a Smart 10 string, Arches, a Martin D18V, Kay bass and some old fiddle all caught in that. I grabbed the Gil and the Smart and held them under me while I ran for their cases. When I got back my Martin had ice bouncing off of it left and right. A lady in the audience had grabbed a checkered tableclothe and covered the bass! The good news is it all worked out just fine, instruments tend to be resilient. My PA was slightly worse for the wear though, so we finished the set acoustically under a big tent set up for listeners. It actually turned a rather mundane art festival set into a really good time!

Gerry Cassidy
Dec-20-2010, 1:18pm
Here are some from the last few years: Playing my bread winner the Bass with violinist Michi Regier, and for those of you who have had the chance to meet him, Walt Kuhlman the creator of Gypsy Mandolins (who is also a great guitarist!). Then just a few more of jamming on my Crump GOM and F4 with friends... The one thing in common with them all is the fun I had with these people! :) :mandosmiley:

Mandolin Holm
Dec-20-2010, 3:03pm
This is my band : Géill Sli, we were playing for a wedding this day...

Nice picture, and nice line-up. Very few bands with hurdy gurdys these days.
What kind of music do you play?

GVD
Dec-20-2010, 3:19pm
Every time I try to get a decent picture of the band all they want to do is monkey around.

Ed Goist
Dec-20-2010, 3:34pm
Every time I try to get a decent picture of the band all they want to do is monkey around.

"Take your stinking paws off me, you d****, dirty banjo player!"

(no offense to your banjo player, but I couldn't pass-up the movie tie-in!) ;)

bernabe
Dec-20-2010, 4:49pm
A recent gig

Charles E.
Dec-20-2010, 7:37pm

Well your bound to look like a monkey when grow old.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iAg9fonYko&feature=related

woodwizard
Dec-20-2010, 8:22pm
Here's a shot my sister took of my OT band called ... "The Mountain Boomers String Band" ...and also a youtube link of us picking a little bit of "Little Billy Wilson" at a little pickin party this past Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGMsmZvGm5o

roscoestring
Dec-20-2010, 9:51pm
Well, here we are. Weeds In The Grass. I'm the one in the pink shirt.:grin:
My daughter was a part of this group. She was the mandolin player. She died just before this was taken. The old man on the right played the mandolin this day. The older woman played harmonica, the young girl on fiddle, the other lady on banjo, me on electric guitar, young boy on bass, and then the acoustic guitar. They are all family except me. Three generations. The pink shirts was in memory of my daughter.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee210/roscoestring/group081.jpg

Mike Snyder
Dec-20-2010, 10:15pm
Oh GVD, I'm not sure I'd wanna make a monkey out of that bass player. Payback is a b*tch. And you've got one of the most attractive fiddlers in Kansas. Say it ain't so, Mike.

GVD
Dec-20-2010, 10:47pm
Oh GVD, I'm not sure I'd wanna make a monkey out of that bass player. Payback is a b*tch. And you've got one of the most attractive fiddlers in Kansas. Say it ain't so, Mike.

Well Mike her bark is a lot worse than her bite and as far as fiddlers go sometimes you just make do with whoever you can get ;)

jim simpson
Dec-20-2010, 11:12pm
I've posted these band shots before in other threads so hope repetition is acceptable.
Bands include: Walls of Time, Cabin Fever String Band, Charlie Dynamite & His Short Fuse, pickup band, & Togary Mt. Boys.

*Bob Heyer, guitarist in Togary Mt. Boys (mid 70's) and I started playing music together in 1970. We still play together today in Cabin Fever and Charlie Dynamite.

jim simpson
Dec-20-2010, 11:24pm
Here are some more group shots including: Suburban Legend, Culture Shock, and Haywire.

Beth Mead, banjo player in early Haywire makes her 2nd appearance here as she is in Strado Len's photo of Freds Mobile Homes.

Ronny
Dec-21-2010, 3:56am
Nice picture, and nice line-up. Very few bands with hurdy gurdys these days.
What kind of music do you play?
Mainly Irish, with some klezmer and breton tunes...

Bernie Daniel
Dec-21-2010, 6:19am
Here's a shot my sister took of my OT band called ... "The Mountain Boomers String Band" ...and also a youtube link of us picking a little bit of "Little Billy Wilson" at a little pickin party this past Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGMsmZvGm5o

That Goldrush looks and sounds great and really stands out acoustically in that setting.

woodwizard
Dec-21-2010, 1:29pm
That Goldrush looks and sounds great and really stands out acoustically in that setting.

Thanks Bernie. Ive been told that it sounds louder away than up close. Or you can hear it cutting thru from afar. I call it the projector ... :)

JMUSIC
Dec-21-2010, 1:51pm
On Daufuskie island. The Portajohns

Pete Counter
Dec-21-2010, 2:14pm

farmerjones
Dec-21-2010, 3:33pm
Spreadin the Love since 2003!
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=56269&thumb=1&d=1268665975

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=54235&thumb=1&d=1261512592

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=54236&thumb=1&d=1261512592

Kerry Krishna
Dec-22-2010, 2:11am
Here are a few of Acoustically Inclined. I started this band in 1990 ( and all because of that beauteous Monteleone too! ) , and toured for 5 years up Canada way. 200,000 kilometers, 4 brand new vans, three albums, two mandolins, one purpose... Luke Doucet on guitar,(Sarah Mclachlan Band) Richard Moody on Viola, Mira Sahay/Black on vocals. Julie Gravette on drums, Ron Tommason on guitar, Dave Marauchis on bass Kerry Krishna on mandolin. See were the name came from folks? The haircut came before the name.

Mike Bunting
Dec-22-2010, 3:04am
Where is Richard Moody playing now?

Fiffoff
Dec-22-2010, 8:43am
This is our nice little Band in Germany: "die Croonies"- always great fun, playing together!
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/Vodododeodo/NeuesBild2.jpg

Don Grieser
Dec-22-2010, 12:10pm
Here's the Sons Of Others at a show for the Music Beneath the Mesa series out by El Morro National Monument in western New Mexico. Justin McLauchlin, bass and Gregg Daigle, guitar. Guess who's on the mandolin.

Kerry Krishna
Dec-22-2010, 4:19pm
Richard Moody is playing Viola violin and sometimes mandolin with a few groups based out of Winnipeg. He has been on tour with Ruth Moody of the Wailin' Jennies for quite some time, but when at home runs a Yoga school. He usually spends 4 months a year in India.

Mike Bunting
Dec-22-2010, 4:32pm
Richard Moody is playing Viola violin and sometimes mandolin with a few groups based out of Winnipeg. He has been on tour with Ruth Moody of the Wailin' Jennies for quite some time, but when at home runs a Yoga school. He usually spends 4 months a year in India.
The name seemed familiar.

Kerry Krishna
Dec-22-2010, 5:50pm
Richard got some international fame when that PBS Documentary came out a few years ago. It was the one were the two families went back to using two hundred year old stuff for a calendar year, and it was all filmed for a mimi-series. Imagine having your name/music travel all over the world and be on 30 million TVs in a single day. What a trip. I was so proud of him.

Kerry Krishna
Dec-23-2010, 2:14am
Pioneer Quest was the name of the mini series..

woodwizard
Dec-24-2010, 12:53pm
Here's another pic of "The Mountain Boomers" ...We sure have fun! Especially when there's free food and beer! and also a youtube OT tune of us playin' a fiddle tune of some sort... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ms254TET4

Kerry Krishna
Dec-25-2010, 11:16pm
Wood wizard, that was tons of fun. Just when I figured I had heard all the old time tunes..

deadsteam
Dec-26-2010, 12:46pm

deadsteam
Dec-26-2010, 12:47pm
Jot 'Em Down Boys from Canton, Ga.

Mark Gibbs
Jan-02-2011, 1:09am
We are Karina & Marco and I put down my Wilkie mandolin momentarily to play my bass for a couple of songs. This is my first bass and it is a 1937 King Mortone. We play Italian and French folk music mostly. Here is a song, Amame Giannina off our second album C'est Si Bon . The mandolin on the recording is my Givens F-5. I hope you enjoy the music. I am a bluegrasser at heart and love the high lonesome sound.

Jim Garber
Jan-02-2011, 10:09am
Hey Mark: I could not play the mp3 for some reason. Do you have it on a web site somewhere?

Leverman61
Jan-02-2011, 12:36pm
This is the only photo I have for our band Panther Hollow String Band. This particular photo doesn't include our guitar player Dave who I am subbing for. This was a gig in Pittsburgh. Paying attendees got front row privileges.

mandoscotia
Jan-03-2011, 7:07am
Hmmmm, never attached a photo before. Does this work?

Grassworks Bluegrass Band

Doug Edwards
Jan-03-2011, 8:11am
I miss playing with the band since I moved, but still fill in from time to time.

Pretty in pink.

I Believe He's Coming Back (http://hillcountrystringworks.com/media/I_Believe_He_s_Coming_Back_192Kbps_.mp3)

Scotti Adams
Feb-02-2011, 7:50am
Found this blast from the past

tree
Feb-02-2011, 8:47am
Okay Scotti, I'll bite. Who is it? The Harley Allen/Mike Lilly Band?

That turquoise jacket is a bold fashion statement, but truth be told, the skinny tie is right up my alley. I keep waiting for those to come back. ~:>

Scotti Adams
Feb-02-2011, 8:54am
No..Its Gary Brewer and the Kentucky Ramblers. L-R Larry Beasley banjo, Steve Day Fiddle, Myself, Mike Clevenger bass, Gary Brewer guitar and from the Grand Ole Opry Grant Turner. Im guessing this was around 1989-90

testore
Feb-02-2011, 11:11am
My band, Red Dog Ash.

mehrsam
Feb-02-2011, 11:22am
Susquehanna Travellers from York, PA. I'm the one with the b***o. I also play a bowlback mandolin, (mandolin content requirement thus satisfied...)but we decided the b***o would be better for this shot.

journeybear
Feb-02-2011, 11:43am
I don't photograph well, so it is hard to find pictures of me that haven't caused irreparable damage to the camera or subsequent viewers. Here are a couple that have survived this process.

These are of Southernmost Magnolia Cajun Band, a seasonal Cajun/country/bluegrass band, with a core group of three and many rotating members, particularly fiddle.

1) From the world-famous Green Parrot, a Mardi Gras gig from three years ago, apparently taken from a safe distance. I can tell because I recognize Mindy Lynn, the A-00 I got to replace Mandy Lynn, my F-12, after she was stolen the previous summer, and served me well until I got the 1917 A in the spring.

2) From Geiger Key Marina, same year. This is one of my favorites. Really shows my best side. Seems to be a point in the gig when we had a guest bass player. Cindy is much better-looking. Nice (if slightly fuzzy) shot of fearless leader Maggie Moniz, and her nice old Martin.

i-vibe
Feb-02-2011, 12:14pm
From Mid-Missouri.... (bands and personel from left to right)

Mere Mortals Jim Borwick banjo/Marilyn Cummins bass/Danna Moore vcls-uke/Mark Atkins Lieberman (I-VIBE) mando/Steve Jacobs vcls-gtr

Django's Tiger Poy deLeon/Mark Atkins Lieberman/Thom Howard

Planet Jazz Mark Atkins Lieberman/Monte Safford/Will West

SkitownPicker
Feb-02-2011, 1:33pm
Our band the Old Town Pickers

Perry
Feb-02-2011, 1:57pm
Here's us.......you can see a pair of ToneBone Pre-Z's in the bottom left. The first pic that Aran posted is my fav so far.

mtucker
Feb-02-2011, 2:10pm
No..Its Gary Brewer and the Kentucky Ramblers. L-R Larry Beasley banjo, Steve Day Fiddle, Myself, Mike Clevenger bass, Gary Brewer guitar. Im guessing this was around 1989-90

looks like a nice pair of python's there, Scotti!

Dobe
Feb-02-2011, 2:37pm
One of the bands I'm in:

"Rough Around the Edges"

:mandosmiley:

I'm the only one dressed properly !!

Scotti Adams
Feb-02-2011, 2:40pm
That would be so true..so true.

jamie_t123
Feb-04-2011, 12:12am
Proud to be a member of the Oak Park Farmers Market Band!

John Soper
Feb-06-2011, 11:33am

The Hollow Rock Ramblers AKA Carson & the Beach Comb-overs. Our Sunday afternoon Swing Sessions group occasionally puts it out in public... this time to raise funds and make noise for Gynecologic Cancer Awareness month this past September at the Broad Street Cafe in Durham, NC.

John Rosett
Feb-06-2011, 12:25pm
An earlier incarnation of my current band. I like the matching shirts.

Aran
Feb-07-2011, 8:51am
Thanks for sharing all your band pictures... I really like the ones that look like they were taken around the turn of the last century...

Someone emailed this one to me recently so thought I should share... Oh another one where the stage looks way too big for a wee acoustic 4 piece like us.... 6821568216

Jonas
Feb-07-2011, 4:19pm
Here's a picture of my band - Sideshow Stringband (http://sideshowstringband.bandcamp.com)

jim simpson
Feb-08-2011, 11:00pm
Here's a photo that I found on the internet. It was a local gig with a couple of fellow members of Cabin Fever String Band plus our friend, Wally Hoffmann on bass. Wally has since relocated to Nashville and is having a wonderful time living and playing there.

Tim Lee
Feb-09-2011, 1:24pm
The Hey Brothers first gig last fall. Arches mandolin. http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=68278&d=1297275754

Steve Cantrell
Feb-10-2011, 8:47am
My band Pinetop Revival, doing it as properly as possible.

Jill McAuley
Feb-10-2011, 11:48am
Awesome photo Steve!!

Cheers,
Jill

Randi Gormley
Apr-19-2011, 3:37pm
Not the whole band, but about a third of us. We visited a school last week and had a great time playing for third and fourth graders.

Jan Ellefsen
Apr-19-2011, 4:47pm
http://rauset.no/ORO/CD/ORO-Bandbilde1m.jpg

My band from the inside of a CD-cover. The band's name came from the fact that our faces are most suitable for the radio

Malcolm G.
Apr-19-2011, 5:29pm
Great stuff, Jan!

Now get 'em off my car!

D C Blood
Apr-19-2011, 6:20pm

Most of the bands I've been in, from 1962 up through the present time...:mandosmiley:
from top left...The Cumberland Mountain Boys, '65 or so..The Log Cabin Boys (USAF-
'71)...Lonnie Jones and The Newgrass Express - apx '80...The Bluegrass Outlaws - apx
'85...Mixt Company. '96-present...

Jill McAuley
Apr-19-2011, 7:58pm
Great bunch of photos there D C!

Cheers,
Jill

Mandolin Holm
Aug-07-2011, 4:05pm
Took a photo of my folk duo a few days ago. And I must say it's relevant:
http://i54.############/2hpr9qb.jpg

Content (from upper left):
Levin Octave Mandolin. Sadly, the neck is not in too good condition.
No name mandolin. No idea where it's from. Neck is separated, but otherwise straight, so it could be fixed up.
No name mandolin. From the DDR. Scratched, but otherwise good. Gonna set it up next week.
Ibanez M510BS. Beginner's mandolin, but with a quite good setup, so it plays fine.
Levin mandolin. In great condition, sounds lovely.
Landola mandolin. From Finland. Needs a set-up, but plays fine.
Hora Bouzouki (you only see the head). Surprisingly good for a Hora, but that's not saying much.

No fancy mandolins, but mandolins nonetheless.

Jim Gallaher
Aug-07-2011, 4:55pm

Chris "Bucket" Thomas
Aug-07-2011, 5:26pm
Our band; "Route 58". We play in southeast Virginia (Norfolk, Va. Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Hampton, Newport News & northeast NC).

stevenmando
Aug-07-2011, 9:48pm
Great band and your music is great to

rico mando
Aug-07-2011, 11:36pm
fail :crying:

Randi Gormley
Oct-11-2011, 10:54am
We had a group shot taken a while ago and, while not a publicity still, shows the most of us. I have mentioned that we're a community band, right?

catmandu2
Oct-11-2011, 11:36am
We had a group shot taken a while ago and, while not a publicity still, shows the most of us. I have mentioned that we're a community band, right?

Wow Randi...that's one helluva ensemble--two accordians (but someone should be sporting a bass!)

mandobassman
Oct-11-2011, 11:59am
The Lewis Brothers Bluegrass Band - Philadelphia

Peter Lorch, Wanamaker Lewis, Larry Hunsberger, Ron Greenstein

Randi Gormley
Oct-11-2011, 12:50pm
Cat -- the guy on the left is actually standing next to his keyboard, which was put on its side for the shot. Monica (with the piano accordion) says her instrument is misunderstood ... she's also a fine whistle player and plays hammer dulcimer on occasion. When she was a kid, she was one of the Shannon-aires, along with her sister, Loretta (who plays a very nice button box these days and occasionally drops by to play with us. We're helping finance her CD. Our other ringer is another button box player, John Whelan, who runs the local comhaltas and sits in with or teaches us depending on the venue).

catmandu2
Oct-11-2011, 1:16pm
Well, you don't have to sell me on squeezebox!

(but still -- someone should have a bass! ;))

journeybear
Oct-11-2011, 1:25pm

Lawdamercy! If the whole community is in the band, who's in the audience? :confused: And this is just most of you. Tuning up must be fun, as well as arrangements. ;) But at least the mandolin is front row center, as it should be! :mandosmiley:

greg_tsam
Oct-11-2011, 2:25pm
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7466/25156410150263521159154.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/25156410150263521159154.jpg/)

Obviously a banjo solo. We rocked the folkgrass!

Randi Gormley
Oct-11-2011, 3:07pm
Arrangements? Lord, we're an Irish band. We all play the melody! Actually, if we're gigging out, we let people know the date and time and then see who shows up. So at any given gig, we'll have from 2 to 20 people, depending on what the venue is, how much someone wants to spend and how many conflicts there are with other requests. We're really a non-profit, and any money we make playing out we use to sponsor real musicians -- we had Andy Irvine last weekend at a house concert and John Doyle is scheduled for next weekend or three or four. You can find our (real) concert schedule at www.shamrockirishmusic.org (shameless plug)

Geordie
Oct-11-2011, 5:19pm
Here we are, The Hundred Year Champions in our electric form. That's me playing drums.

There are no mandolins in these pictures, though. That's for the acoustic part of the set.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=77145&d=1318371345

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=77144&d=1318371344

jim simpson
Oct-14-2011, 8:17pm
We (National Pike Pickers) had a lengthy photo shoot recently and this photo was one in which the photographer removed the background. He sent several with all sorts of wild backgrounds, I liked this one.

Charles E.
Oct-17-2011, 6:15pm
We just got back from a fall music retreat up in Sparta NC. Winds were gusting up to 30mph that day, so the banjo players husband renamed us The Hickory Mt. Windbreakers. I like The Pungo River Rats better. :)

Janos
Oct-17-2011, 6:39pm
This is a picture of my band 'Spoor'. It's Dutch and means 'track' but also 'trail'. www.spooronlijn.nl

Charles E.
Oct-17-2011, 8:20pm
Janos, I really enjoyed the double bass and mandolin sound clips. This past weekend I stayed up too late playing mandolin and bass as we were the last ones standing. We had a great time.

Janos
Oct-18-2011, 3:27am
Thanks Charles! Bass and mandolin is really all you need...

Backlineman
Oct-27-2011, 6:19pm
My Dad's band The Summer Strummers. Rockin the Chautauqua Institute for many years.

Jake Wildwood
Oct-28-2011, 8:58am
Here's the Saturday jam group from last harvest fair:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ckffBh9MRIE/TnqFN0j6XlI/AAAAAAAAOlo/pZ8_dfcBWIM/s1600/oonaloy5.jpg

Toycona
Oct-28-2011, 10:22am
Here is "Peninsula Bluegrass Crossing" at a local parish festival (I'm the big mandolin player):

gQPLlNs3rqc

Wildeman
Dec-02-2011, 2:18pm
My good friends I get together with from time to time. We call ourselves "Greenwood Forge". We enjoy playing everything from Bluegrass, the Beatles, Gossip, Dylan and a few old wetern cowboy songs. That's me with my 1956 Gibson A style. 79092

Charles E.
Jan-22-2012, 8:03pm
Just got back from a winter retreat in Bath NC. We had great food, great tunes and a wonderful fellowship.

Charles E.
Jan-22-2012, 9:19pm
One more......

disguiseglasses
Jan-28-2012, 12:31am
Here's a picture of my band - Sideshow Stringband (http://sideshowstringband.bandcamp.com)
GREAT photo!

brmichaelpaul
Jan-28-2012, 3:40am

From a gig in France in 2004

https://www.youtube.com/user/brmichaelpaul?feature=mhee

Rob Sharer
Jan-29-2012, 7:24pm
Okay, here we go. Craicdown in full cry, featuring meself on flute/fiddle and Jim Roberts on percussion out of the frame). We are being ably supported by member #3, David DiGiuseppe, who is playing his Stephen Owsley Smith Bouzouki. It's a koa killing machine.

jim simpson
Mar-24-2012, 11:26pm
Irish band, Black Slaney, playing earlier tonight in concert. My black top Collings seemed appropriate for the band.

Leverman61
Mar-25-2012, 12:15am
Here's a recent photo of Panther Hollow String Band , Old Time Quintet from Pittsburgh Pa. 84283

jim simpson
Apr-10-2012, 7:33am
Recent photo of National Pike Pickers at Wheeling Jamboree

jim simpson
Apr-15-2012, 1:50pm
National Pike Pickers last night at Black Sheep Vineyard - a fun gig!

JeffD
Apr-15-2012, 3:11pm
the banjo players husband renamed us The Hickory Mt. Windbreakers.

:))

Never let a banjo player name the band.

:))

jim simpson
Sep-07-2012, 6:37pm
We (National Pike Pickers) are in good company on the cover of the supplement to today's Wheeling newspaper, pictured next to Joe Negri.

Eric C.
Sep-07-2012, 7:02pm
Chu Dat Frawg out of Northeast Ohio.

JLeather
Sep-07-2012, 9:41pm
The front and back cover art from our first CD. The band is ClearSpring. The car actually belonged to the guitar player (with the sideburns) at the time. We took it out for pizza after the shoot :)

woodwizard
Sep-07-2012, 9:59pm
The Mountain Boomers Old-time String Band ...in Arkansas

Bill Snyder
Sep-08-2012, 12:21am
The front and back cover art from our first CD. The band is ClearSpring. The car actually belonged to the guitar player (with the sideburns) at the time. We took it out for pizza after the shoot :)

What kind of pizza do old cars like? :)

Jon Hall
Sep-08-2012, 8:35am
The Old Town Gospel Project. We are very eclectic in our choice of songs.91335

JMUSIC
Sep-08-2012, 9:39am
The PortO'Johns

Jack Roberts
Sep-11-2012, 11:16am

Jake Wildwood
Sep-19-2012, 10:10pm

Here's "The Baba Yagas" at our friends' new restaurant early in the evening -- me on bass, Tom on guitar, JC on accordion. Aside from myself, we switch around a bunch of instruments, too. I could be involved in that too, but bringing that bull fiddle around is work enough for me... :)

jim simpson
Oct-28-2012, 1:29pm
A friend sent this recent photo of National Pike Pickers to me. Bluegrass Barbeque at end of Sept.

Ed Goist
Nov-25-2012, 6:54pm
Well, we have a publicity photo, so I guess we are official... Legitimate? That's a wholly different matter. :)
(MC - That Max & Lauri's Girouard 'Mojo' electric tenor guitar prominently featured)

Eric C.
Nov-26-2012, 6:17am
Band pics are so much fun!

Jörgen
Nov-30-2012, 5:50pm
Hi there!
Band photos are fun.. hmm.. in our case, well, it's more of a project, or.. hmm well, we call ourselves "Beards'n'Hats".. you'll have to figure out why by yourselves... We're two guys that started to play a little together... we have fun while doing it, and for me that's pretty much what it's all about, ain't it? :)

BluegrassPhilfromFrance
Dec-02-2012, 11:56am
A big HOWDY from France and here is a picture of our band BLUEGRASS 43. More details on http://www.bluegrass43.com and on Facebook.
http://i45.servimg.com/u/f45/11/65/52/70/p1090610.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=804&u=11655270)

Mandolin Mick
Dec-02-2012, 12:19pm
Well, this is when I was the bass player for Apple Core, a Beatles tribute band here in Milwaukee. This photo is us in 2006 at Summerfest, the world's largest music festival. I'm second from the left.

jim simpson
May-26-2013, 12:28pm
Had a fun gig playing last night on this Memorial Day weekend. It was a little cool temp wise but still good. (Cabin Fever String Band)

journeybear
May-26-2013, 1:25pm
I'm second from the left.

The one playing the Hofner bass. Right! ;)

lmartnla
May-26-2013, 2:24pm
Here are the Grocery Clerks playing a Feedstore concert in ApriL. Anyone is welcome to join us.

journeybear
May-26-2013, 11:51pm
I guess it's time I posted some pics of my newest band.

102542 102543 102551

We've been at it for over 100 days, and might last a little longer. People seem to like us all right.

102549 102545 102544

The thing you're probably wonderiing about, is what we call a trumpazoo. It's a kazoo stuck into the bell end of a slide trombone. Yes, it should be called a trombazoo. It's out of my control, like so much else in this kooky outfit.

mandolinlee
Jun-11-2013, 3:54pm
Here's a picture of my band: Curly's Country Grass. Since I'm not in the picture, use the photoshop in your brain to duplicate the guy in the red shirt, but w/ a mandolin, not the banjo. It's my twin brother.
Lee103181

billhay4
Jun-11-2013, 4:15pm
I can imagine why they call you Curly.
Bill

mandolinlee
Jun-11-2013, 5:40pm
Hi Bill -
If things keep going as they have, may have to change the name to: Baldy's
Lee

D18dave
Jun-13-2013, 2:08am

The Wild Hares

Gelsenbury
Jun-13-2013, 5:43am
Since I'm not in the picture, use the photoshop in your brain to duplicate the guy in the red shirt, but w/ a mandolin, not the banjo. It's my twin brother.

:)) That's a good joke when I needed it! Your band looks good!

journeybear
Jun-13-2013, 10:16am
A few photos of my band have been surfacing, and I thought it might be time to post some before they went viral and spiralled out of control. I'm most impressed with the first one, which somehow became pretty psychedelic. :cool: It's possible some of the members had indulged in various uncontrolled substances - not me, though, just a beer or two - but that doesn't explain the prismatic effect, fortunately captured on film. Or pixels, as the case may be. :whistling:

I like the way the photographer photoshopped the band name into the bell of the trombazoo - not its real size, but distorted by the lens. (That's a kazoo stuck into the slide/bell half of an old trombone. It produces quite a charming racket.) And for your perusement (that's my term combining "perusal" and "amusement"), here's our promo blurb:

The Love Lane Gang plays music that spans generations, as well as embodies them. The emphasis is on swing: classics from the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s, done in a refreshing new style that incorporates the Hot Club approach with island flourishes. Dust Bowl ballads, old school country from Hank Williams and Johnny Cash, rockabilly and surf music classics and little-known gems, and tunes from Sixties stars like The Beatles and The Kinks, all fit in alongside original songs that sound like they could have come from any of those eras. Offbeat instrumentation like mandolin, accordion, banjo, ukulele, and washboard add to familiar guitar, bass, and harmonica, creating a broad musical palette which they use to color their performances. But you needn't pay too much mind to all that serious musical analysis - it's just plain fun!

Cary Fagan
Jun-13-2013, 2:54pm
This is our first year together. The day the photos were taken the bass player broke a string just before the gig and had to use her acoustic bass.103344

afhusband
Jun-18-2013, 1:05pm
Here we are all gussied up!

Our good buddy painted this for us. It turned out to be the back cover of our CD!

http://www.beatgrass.net
https://www.facebook.com/beatgrassband

Steve Ostrander
Jun-18-2013, 1:28pm
The Lost Hitch Hikers live at the Meridian Heritage Festival

testore
Jun-24-2013, 10:38pm
103819Red Dog Ash, playing the Fathers Day Festival in Grass Valley two weeks ago. Me playing my newly finished Loar replica.

jim simpson
Jun-27-2013, 10:08pm
Photo only shows half of the band, we opened the show for West Virginia Day celebrating the 150 year birthday for the state. Later in the evening, kathy Mattea and Johnny Staats band performed with the Wheeling Symphony. We couldn't stick around to hear them as we had another gig to go to in a nearby town. It was great fun for the band.

Toycona
Jul-02-2013, 10:55am
Here are the Offroad Pickers doing their thing at the Woodside Farmers' Market on a really hot day.

BillD
Jul-03-2013, 11:46am
From the remote reaches of Virginia's Northern Neck............The Woodshed Conspiracy.
Bucky Beauchamp, Bill Duvall, Suzy Long.104087104088

journeybear
Jul-25-2013, 9:44pm
A few months ago my swing/jug band decided to busk at Mallory Square during the nightly Sunset Celebration. Solo musicians get short shrift there, and most passersby are attracted to the circus-type acts - jugglers, trained dogs, tumblers, tightrope walkers, and what not - but you get a bunch of scruffly skifflers together, merrily banging away on what-have-you, and you can attract and hold a crowd. We did this twice, and cleaned up both times.

Due to the artistic process, a bit of clarification might help. I'm the dapper fellow on the left. To the right are ukulele, accordion, and bass; below are washboard and guitar.

jim simpson
Jul-29-2013, 9:58pm
National Pike Pickers at a great outdoor amphitheater (Oglebay Park, Wheeling, WV) this past Sunday evening.

jim simpson
Aug-06-2013, 10:57pm
Always wanted to be on TV

jim simpson
Sep-15-2013, 9:56am
It was a cool night last night for the National Pike Pickers. We were playing inside the courtyard of the Moundsville Pen in Moundsville, WV. The event was Elizabethtown Festival, Elizabethtown consolidated into Moundsville on February 23, 1866, a little before my time.

Vernon Hughes
Sep-15-2013, 10:57am
Here's the band i'm playing with now,we were together for many years back in the 80's and now are doing reunion shows.

stevedenver
Sep-16-2013, 10:01am

hot june day at a pig roast
the 'one time seen' LOL

D C Blood
Sep-16-2013, 10:36am
Mixt Company at the Bluegrass Stage, Tennessee State Fair, 9/13/13. Mixt Company has existed since August '96.106825

Londy
Sep-16-2013, 1:52pm
yeah, great idea for a thread!..... just wish i were in a band :crying:.

mandolinlee
Sep-16-2013, 3:15pm
Londy -

You'll be with a "band" of mandolinists at your house Saturday.

Lee

Londy
Sep-16-2013, 3:39pm
Londy -

You'll be with a "band" of mandolinists at your house Saturday.

Lee

Thanks Lee...and what a band it will be. I look forward to it. Just hope for good weather!

JeffD
Sep-18-2013, 10:05pm
Yay. I'm in a band.

Eric C.
Oct-07-2013, 6:26am
This picture reminds me of the "fight scene" from the movie Anchorman.

beenpickin
Oct-12-2013, 1:49am
Not actually my band but there are a few mandolin players in attendance.107962107963107964107965107966

Kerry Krishna
Oct-15-2013, 4:21am
Here is my current band. Raghu Lokanathan playing accordion, 6 string, mandolin (when I am not sometimes) Jim Sales playing fiddle, and me playing guitar, mandolin and trying to work fiddle in a bit too.
Bands name is 'So Long Jake' after Slavik Hanslik's famous song...

Spencer
Oct-17-2013, 4:53pm
The Copenhagen Mountain Boys, we've been playing for about 25 years.

Spencer

gummia
Oct-18-2013, 3:57pm
This is a good idea for a thread.
The overalls and the dirt is not a part of our outfit but we did it for fun once. :)

Steve Lavelle
Oct-18-2013, 5:29pm
from an FB posting:

pickloser
Oct-21-2013, 12:31pm
The Lucky Girls.

terzinator
Oct-21-2013, 1:00pm
http://splitshotsinkers.com/Images/sss_hires_sans.jpg

http://www.splitshotsinkers.com

AlanN
Oct-21-2013, 1:15pm
For some reason, that shot reminds me of Who's Next. Nice photo.

terzinator
Oct-21-2013, 1:27pm
For some reason, that shot reminds me of Who's Next. Nice photo.
Thanks!

But shoot! We should have thought to pee on the side of the house! (Although, it probably would have gotten us shot.)

I see that old abandoned place every time I go to our cabin... never ever see anyone around there. I thought it would make a good backdrop. We took the photo, and as we were leaving, this SUV comes squealing into the dirt road, and this old coot jumps out, looking for trouble. Said he was the owner of the building, and assumed we were vandals or scavengers or whatever.

"Dude, calm down," we said. "We're a little bluegrass outfit from the Twin Cities, and we just wanted to take a photo of the band in front of your cool old house. We'll put you on the guest list for the next show."

He did not find that funny.

DataNick
Oct-22-2013, 1:58am

https://www.facebook.com/HighMountainRoad#!/HighMountainRoad

Oneida Trail
Oct-22-2013, 7:47am
The color photo is really great

Andy Miller
Oct-24-2013, 9:31pm
https://www.facebook.com/Dog1Bluegrass

DataNick
Oct-27-2013, 11:07pm
Nice pic Bro!...is that a Givens A model that you're playin?

Andy Miller
Oct-28-2013, 3:49pm
Nice pic Bro!...is that a Givens A model that you're playin?

Thanks! The mandolin is a Hilburn.

DataNick
Nov-14-2013, 6:46pm
High Mountain Road at The Viking Fest in Vista, CA Sept 2013

https://www.facebook.com/HighMountainRoad?ref=stream

jim simpson
Jan-12-2014, 8:20pm
Cabin Fever String Band playing at the Black Sheep Vineyard in Adena, Ohio. New room and stage at the Black Sheep.

SkitownPicker
Jan-12-2014, 9:59pm
Old Town Pickers - Halloween 2012

calgary.fiddler
Jan-20-2014, 1:17am
Here's a picture of my band Whiskeyjack. (Needless to say I'm the mandolin player :mandosmiley: )

DataNick
Jan-21-2014, 12:23am

Bluegrass KISS! I love it!....LOL!

Michael Bridges
Jan-21-2014, 5:26am
"I wanna Bluegrass Stomp all night
And party every day" Pretty cool!

BenShavers
Jan-22-2014, 5:23am

http://youtu.be/WD5jZKVOnJk

http://youtu.be/KDnRdxS_tIE

Pushka
Jan-22-2014, 6:46am
http://pushka.co/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/sunday-assembly.jpg

You're my best friend - Queen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-1afut6UOs)

Eric C.
Jan-22-2014, 2:02pm
Here's a neat little promotional photo from a live session we played a month or so ago.

Lord of the Badgers
Jan-22-2014, 2:33pm
Here's the five piece (most recent photo):
http://modfolk.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/eol54071.jpg

Here's a pic with the 6.5 piece
http://modfolk.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/m-o-d.jpg

And a studio shot of the actual 7 piece
http://modfolk.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/dsc04329.jpg

Gelsenbury
Jan-22-2014, 7:34pm
Custom Phil Davidson mandolin ... I'm allowed to dream, no? :whistling:

Lord of the Badgers
Jan-23-2014, 3:28pm
Custom Phil Davidson mandolin ... I'm allowed to dream, no? :whistling:

the next one is more custom than that... the one in my sig is 20 years old.. The Cub will be all my spec with inputs from the man himself and his lovely lady (badger... cub... geddit)

obviously the latter pic is the breedlove, the former, that's the davidson - it's mostly the headstock that's different to his mandos of that period. that's when I'll say goodbye to the breedlove. no more than two mandos at a time for me.

Jeff Richards
Jan-23-2014, 11:30pm
Yet another all around entertaining thread here at the cafe. Thanks everyone!

Lord of the Badgers
Jan-24-2014, 8:34am
I was thinking our own cd/lp/cassette/hologram album cover art next Jeff

resophonic
Jan-24-2014, 12:39pm
A friend of ours took this picture and then had a bit of fun with it.

Fiddlin' Banjo Billy Mathews and the Old Time Players.

jim simpson
Feb-07-2014, 11:56pm
Today the National Pike Pickers were in good company on the front page of our town's entertainment supplement, TGIF. There's Joe Negri and Larry Stephenson Band. My wife and I just got back from the Larry Stephenson Show - a great night of entertainment!

journeybear
Feb-08-2014, 1:53am
The Love Lane Gang has shown up in a few pix over the last few months ...

113968 113969113970 113971 113972

Just so you know - I am having the time of my life in all these photos. If I'm not smiling, it's because I am concentrating so hard on making the right sounds come out of the mandolin and make everyone happy. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :mandosmiley:

journeybear
Feb-08-2014, 2:07am
Also, some new pix of Southernmost Magnolia ...

We have two bass players, who switch between our two gigs. It's complicated ... :whistling:

Wesley
Feb-10-2014, 7:27pm
So I guess now that Scott Wilson isn't on the Walking Dead anymore he's playing pedal steel guitar with your group?

John Soper
Feb-15-2014, 8:33am
The Hollow Rock Ramblers (aka Carson and the Combovers). As Carson and the Combovers, along with our pal Pooh Johnston on bass, we previously achieved a ten way tie for fourth place at the Watermelon Park Bluegrass Festival bluegrass band contest. The contest consisted of thirteen bands playing one song each. While the prize-winning band practiced their song and harmony over and over backstage, we kissed babies, drank beer, slapped backs and pumped fists with a variety of friends, fans and fanatics in an effort to curry favor. We also had to decide on a tune to play... The boys chose the old Bob Wills favorite "Sooner or Later". Unfortunately one of the babies kissed may have had an amorous connection to the judges of the contest.

Marty Grosz, our mentor in things musical, in a recap of the event, asked why a swing band would participate in a bluegrass festival. “Thousand dollars first prize” was the resounding answer. Marty continued: “ who played banjo?” . . . . “No banjo player . . .” and then Marty pressed on, “who’d you have on fiddle?” “ . . . no fiddler . . .” “And your song was a western swing song?”

But Marty, who in the world has ever heard of a swing string band contest?

Pushka
Feb-18-2014, 8:13pm
Me and some friends have just started a Pony band in Australia ~

http://pushka.co/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/00.jpg

http://pushka.co/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/13.jpg

DougC
Feb-18-2014, 10:17pm
114558I'm a little late to this thread but I really like the stories and history behind all of these pictures!
So, not to be 'out done' by some of you creative posers, I have a fun foto here.

Our accordion player did some break dancing WITH the accordion. I might add he can still walk and sit up straight. ha, ha.
Also we are a klezmer band, that hammered dulcimer is called a tsimbl or cymbolim. Oh, I'm not in the picture! No mandolin, I was behind the camera.

Randi Gormley
Mar-17-2014, 10:05am
A piece of our group played a house party over the weekend -- here's what we look like being all professional (or something). Sorry if it's a little dark. Our singer took it with an iPhone as he went off to play at another party.

Lord of the Badgers
Mar-17-2014, 2:08pm
At last a shot with our current lineup fully intact!
http://modfolk.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/modsmaller.jpg

NovelDrive
Mar-27-2014, 12:10am
When Novel Drive won the talent show this year :mandosmiley:

MesaZak
Mar-27-2014, 1:10pm

The Dirt Road band

Tom Morse
Mar-27-2014, 1:36pm
"Home By Eight"

jim simpson
Apr-18-2014, 10:45pm
National Pike Pickers playing earlier tonight at Artworks in Wheeling, WV

Jessbusenitz
Apr-20-2014, 4:56pm
118282 Here's our latest.... All brothers 'cept the banjo player..... guess he would be the outlaw...:mandosmiley:

Gelsenbury
Apr-21-2014, 5:36am
Great picture! It must be a lot of fun making music with your brothers.

journeybear
May-16-2014, 2:33pm
After my band played at The Green Parrot on Cinco De Mayo, we had to move the piano out. But instead of just driving it back to Love Lane Gang HQ, we decided to drive around town a bit and make a commotion. So we all piled in and drove up and down Duval Street a couple of times, playing our Mexican songs merrily as we rolled along. Fortunately the driver picked up on our pleas to drive more slowly so our sombreros didn't go flying away and we didn't tumble out of the truck. Glad to see someone sent us a few photos of this impromptu parade. Sorry the photos are a bit dark - it was dusk.

Rich Hoffman
May-16-2014, 2:42pm

10 Gallon Heart

journeybear
May-18-2014, 1:43am
I've touched these photos up a bit in PhotoShop, and hopefully it's a little easier to see what's going on.119406119407119408119409

Visible in # 1 are our washboard, kazoo, and ukulele player, playing what we call the trombazoo (the bell half or a trombone, with a kazoo stuck into the tub.e), our ukulele player (far side of the truck, with a big smile), the bass player (back to us), the guitarist at the wheel, and yours truly. Barely visible in #2 and #3 is the head of the pianist, a drag queen of note hereabouts. Not seen is the drummer, probably back at the club packing his gear or otherwise being responsible. Yes, he's exceptional. ;)

masa618
May-23-2014, 9:27am
Hello, We are the bluegrass band named " The All That Grass" of Aichi,Japan.
Masatoshi Inaba,119548

keithb
May-23-2014, 12:09pm
I can't get the other guys to pose for more "formal" pictures, and this is before I picked up the mandolin, but why not:

We call ourselves Highway's End (http://highwaysend.com)

ColoradoMando
May-23-2014, 12:39pm
Based out of Boulder, Colorado. Timber!119553

Jonathan Bailey
May-23-2014, 12:48pm
Here's a pic of my band, Subtle Clutch. Feel free to give us a google or check out our Facebook page. We are all only 15 and 16 and have been having quite the time playing together the past few months!

F-2 Dave
May-23-2014, 8:09pm
So I guess now that Scott Wilson isn't on the Walking Dead anymore he's playing pedal steel guitar with your group?

It's Hershel!

Brian Shaw
May-23-2014, 10:26pm
ContraDiction College Station, TX

Austin Clark
May-26-2014, 9:20am
Limehouse!119677

journeybear
May-26-2014, 10:25am
It's Hershel!

I had to look back through the thread to find out what you guys meant, and it was my band! :disbelief: Good call! It is indeed Hershel, who is not dead, but has become the legendary Man From Maine, star of many a shaggy dog story and rambling joke.

I was curious to hear some bluegrass from Japan, and found a video of All That Grass (post#) backing up someday. You guys sound good - solid and tight. Keep it up!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=714143381949543

Jan Viljoen
May-29-2014, 1:57am
Hi guys, I am from South Africa.

I was asked to play in a Folk Music competition and our band Wadrif (which means a wagon way through a river) came second last Saturday.
The traditional song rules are no drums, no electric guitars, no 7ths or 9ths, etc. The song must be played as the original composer intended.
We had a double bass with bow and mandolin.
So it is a test for perfection.

I play on a locally built F mandolin and my strap is African Buffalo with no metal clasps. Top spruce, back and sides Boekenhout Faurea saligna, binding Yellow wood Podocarpus latifolius.

Here we play and receive our certificates. Pardon the bad photos.

journeybear
Jun-10-2014, 1:25pm
Some more pictures from our Cinco De Mayo "parade." This is just from the staging area, loading up and heading off.Now you get to see our piano player in full regalia. And me again, looking like I'm having the time of my life. I was, actually, just being very cool. :cool:

Jan Viljoen
Jun-12-2014, 5:08am
Hi blokes,

While I am at it, I want to post a few recent band photos where I played different mandolins, guitar and a Sierra S10 pedal steel.

120413, 120414

120415, 120416

;)

journeybear
Jun-12-2014, 8:18am
Accordion AND concertina? You guys are wild!

Jan Viljoen
Jun-12-2014, 8:46am
Thanks, in the picture bottom left we even have a small portable reed organ.
The instruments take turns to lead, and the other is comping, etc, while the audience dances.

Check out my other band competition post, we have a double bass with bow and mandolin as well.

:cool:

In this picture I play the Red Devil with the same accordion player. We can rock as well.
I play through a Roland cube 80xl amp, curtsey (sp) of the Steel Guitar Forum.
Sorry my first language is Afrikaans.

Let the games begin!

JeffD
Jun-12-2014, 8:53am
Some more pictures from our Cinco De Mayo "parade."

That looks like so much fun. Really fun. I know you don't need another mandolinner, but there is a band I could find a place in. I could run coffee and pick up dropped picks.

journeybear
Jun-12-2014, 12:35pm
Well, I'm pretty good on picks, but the guitar player is anther story. However, I could probably use a mandolin techie to change strings when I break one, which is all too often. Probably still not busy enough for a full-timer, but you can keep occupied with other small tasks - make sure everyone has a beer (including yourself), pass the tip bucket around now and then, get pretty girls' - well, women's - phone numbers, stuff like that ... :whistling:

And yes, it was a lot of fun. I've no idea why I don't seem to be smiling, 'cause I was just cracking up. :) :grin: :))

Dave Greenspoon
Jun-12-2014, 11:42pm
These are from two different congregations I served. The first is with The Not Ready for Purim Time Players after our vaunted Megillah-Stock session. The second is with The Jewdles, after The Magical Megillah Tour. The photos from the O Esther Where Art Thou by the SoggyMatzahs (Live from the Brokeback Mountain JCC!) were deemed to racy for this family-oriented website.

journeybear
Jul-06-2014, 11:29pm
error

journeybear
Jul-06-2014, 11:34pm
I present to you a minor mystery, The Case Of The Disappearing Band:

121293 ------- 121294 ------- 121295

First the banjo player went off the deep end ..... then the bass player self-destructed ..... leaving us four (plus a couple-few more recent additions). Hmmm ... wonder who'll be next? :confused:

Thing is, in order to be able to provide publicity photos to the press that reflected the current lineup, I had to look around a bit to find photos in which the former members weren't smack dab in the middle, and so could be edited out. It was a little tricky, and it so happened that this photo worked well for this purpose. Nothing much I could do about the color saturation, though ... ;)

Misty Stanley-Jones
Jul-07-2014, 7:14am
The Bumsteaders!

I think y'all can spot me. That's my husband Andrew on the bass. We are missing our guitar player, who is in Europe for the winter (summer there).

Pete Jenner
Jul-07-2014, 12:03pm
I'll keep my eye out for you Misty. Do you get to any festivals?

Misty Stanley-Jones
Jul-08-2014, 7:44am
Just got some new photos!

Misty Stanley-Jones
Jul-08-2014, 8:07am
We are strictly small-time and have done a few small gigs around Brisbane, Pete. We only have enough for about a 30 minute set right now! The band has been going for about a year but I just joined in a couple months ago.

resophonic
Jul-10-2014, 12:07pm

Fiddlin' Banjo Billy Mathews and The Old Time Players perform at the Ozark Folk Center in Mountain View, AR

Robert Smyth
Jul-10-2014, 12:21pm
We are Way Out West! I'm pretty sure we're the western most bluegrass band in the contiguous United States as we're from Humboldt County, California. We play bluegrass and cowboy songs so I call it Cowgrass!

jim simpson
Jul-18-2014, 10:34pm
Fun gig tonight in the hills of WV (Cameron) for National Pike Pickers:

Patrick Bouldin
Jul-21-2014, 11:49pm
Howdy!
Here are the "Quibble Brothers", in Dallas.
http://www.QuibbleBrothers.com

..and hey friends, if you like us we'd appreciate if you'd hit the like button, and then again on our FB page. Helps with the gigs. Thanks!
Patrick

Bobbie Dier
Jul-22-2014, 4:23pm

Fiddlin' Carson Peters Band

Denman John
Jul-31-2014, 4:21pm
Back Porch Slammers

Playing our first gig together this weekend and took a few pictures at practice last night. Mando content: I'm playing a Nyberg OM and my son, Tai, is playing a Pomeroy.

billhay4
Jul-31-2014, 4:23pm
Lookin' good. Ya'll send me your shoe sizes and I'll go on down to Goodwill for you.
Bill

Charles E.
Jul-31-2014, 8:00pm
Interesting instrumentation, would love to hear you guy's.

Gerry Cassidy
Aug-02-2014, 10:03am
Here's a recent one of a band I play in: CAVU! Ceiling And Visibility Unlimited (an aeronautical acronym)

I am the chubby fella' in the upper left with the headstock of my Arches FTO sticking out. The chubby fella' sitting next to me is actually playing the cello, and quite well at that.

These whackos are a fun bunch to make music with. It's all original music and we would probably be categorized in the Americana genre'.

Russ Jordan
Aug-02-2014, 10:20am

New 5 Cents Bluegrass Band, western NC.

JeffD
Aug-08-2014, 5:48pm
:)

Samuel David Britton
Sep-20-2014, 3:21pm
Picture of the church band I play in performing our Christmas set.