PDA

View Full Version : String height

Ott
Oct-20-2004, 2:32pm
I realize its all relative but what is considered low action? How low can you go and still not buzz generally. To lower my bridge further I will need to sand it so I want to have a general idea before I take it apart to lower it. Also where do you take the measurement? (at the first fret) Thanks for your help!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

JiminRussia
Oct-20-2004, 4:26pm
Do you have an adjustable bridge? If so, just keep lowering the action on the bridge end untill it buzzes and then back off a turn or two. It's a little more complicated on the nut end. There aren't too any adjustable nuts out there. On the nut end I lower the action until it is comfortable to play and then adjust the bridge end to take out the buzzes. Just remember that if you go too far with lowering the nut, you'll either have to start over with a new nut blank or deal with a shim under the nut to raise it back up to where it should be. I personally hate shims under the nuts and would only do it to preserve a vintage instrument. I haven't seen too many shims that allowed proper sound transmission through to the neck (when playing open strings that is). Lowering the nut can be done two ways, either taking material off of the top and then cutting the string grooves deeper or the easy way by taking the material off of the bottom. You can't just cut the string grooves deeper or the strings will buzz at the nut if the grooves are too deep. If you dont have an adjustable bridge, the above will apply to it as well.

steve in tampa
Oct-20-2004, 4:54pm
My luthier uses a string height gauge (actually a fancy ruler), and sets string height based on known acceptable heights at the nut. He also checks them down the neck to identify any high frets, and dresses them as needed. This method get you even action all down the neck.

Action also needs to be adjusted to your playing style. I have mine up a little higher than as low as it can go so I can pick and chop more agressively.

Ott
Oct-20-2004, 5:12pm
I have my bridge adjusted as low as it can go and to go any lower I will have to sand the upper bridge part where it meets the thumbscrews, just wondering what measurement is considered "low" so I can see if I really need to lower it more or not. I'm going to leave the nut alone for now. How many 32nds is considered low? Thanks