PDA

View Full Version : Free online Monroe documentary

Jason Kessler
Dec-14-2010, 3:41pm
Member Ed Goist, in another thread, posted a link to a free, streaming documentary about someone named Bill Monroe.

Perhaps most of you have seen it, but I hadn't, and think it bears reposting:

http://www.folkstreams.net/film,210

It might not be the greatest example of filmmaking in the world, but it has a lot of great info and performance footage.

The same site has many more documentaries about other forms of music that look like they're worth checking out.

Thanks, Ed.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-14-2010, 3:44pm
Here's (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?67708-Bill-Monroe&highlight=monroe+film) two pages of discussion about the same film.

Ed Goist
Dec-14-2010, 4:02pm
I can't take credit for that gem...I learned about it on the Cafe in the thread Mike has posted the link to.
Good stuff...I particularly like the mythic nature of the beginning.

Nolan
Dec-14-2010, 9:03pm
That is a great video! Love the part when he grabs Sonny Osborne's hat!
Gruhn said Bill Monroe broke the scroll on the peghead off cause he was mad at Gibson.... I don't think that's right is it? I thought he just gouged out GIBSON and scraped off the finish....

Mike Bunting
Dec-14-2010, 9:12pm
That is a great video! Love the part when he grabs Sonny Osborne's hat!
Gruhn said Bill Monroe broke the scroll on the peghead off cause he was mad at Gibson.... I don't think that's right is it? I thought he just gouged out GIBSON and scraped off the finish....
You would be correct.

catmandu2
Dec-15-2010, 11:19am
I haven't viewed it in its entirety yet, but I love the dancing. That scene in the subway with the hip-hoppers is great..

Something that resonates with me: Peter Rowan, saying "once bluegrass gets into you, it's hard not to get back to it at some point" -- or thereabouts...

BTW, thanks for posting the link.

Jason Kessler
Dec-15-2010, 2:27pm
I haven't viewed it in its entirety yet, but I love the dancing. That scene in the subway with the hip-hoppers is great.

Almost surreal.