PDA

View Full Version : Ellis F5 Differences

adlerburg
Dec-13-2010, 10:18am
Hi,
Would somebody be kind enough to shed some light on the differences between an Ellis F5 Deluxe, and the F5 Special please?
From a high level view, I only see a difference in the headstock inlay... the Deluxe having a flower pot, and the special a more elaborate design. Are there any other differences.... woods, etc? Bindings all look the same. I'm sure the build quality is the same.. as close to perfect as humanly possible.
Thanks
-Mickey

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af194/adlerburg1/headstock.jpg

Capt. E
Dec-13-2010, 10:38am
You guess is probably right on spot, but to make sure, give Tom a call. He would be happy to discuss any aspect of his beautiful instruments. Nicest guy you will every meet.

Dan Margolis
Dec-13-2010, 11:10am
I'm pretty sure that he uses extra beautiful wood on the Special. I agree, call or email Tom. He was very nice to me on my recent trip to Austin.

Chris Biorkman
Dec-13-2010, 11:11am
I used to have a deluxe. It was top purfling only. The specials have purfling on the top and side, I think. I don't think the headstock inlay has anything to do with it. They are built perfectly. As clean as I've ever seen.

adlerburg
Dec-13-2010, 11:15am
I used to have a deluxe. It was top purfling only. The specials have purfling on the top and side, I think. I don't think the headstock inlay has anything to do with it. They are built perfectly. As clean as I've ever seen.
Thanks... Chris, that is the craziest avatar, I swear! I laugh every time I see the crazy lil' monkey!

frankenstein
Dec-14-2010, 1:42am
I get the feeling he does what's special to him at the time. headstock inlay, woods - top back and neck. binding . keeps you on your toes noticing the difference don't it ? this ones just starting to settle in now.

jasona
Dec-14-2010, 10:05am
I like his solution to the eternal question of "Fern" vs. "Flowerpot"

red7flag
Dec-14-2010, 10:42am
When I bought my Ellis F5 there was one that was a bit more expensive that had a bound pickguard (different inlay in the headstock, I think). I can't remember the titles.

Fretbear
Dec-14-2010, 10:46am
The middle frond of that gorgeous Fern-pot is like a finger to Gibson....in the nicest possible way, of course......

Capt. E
Dec-14-2010, 11:12am
Tom's primary business is doing inlay work for probably half the builders in the US, including Gibson, Taylor, Collings, etc. A little secret is that he saves the "best" mother-of-pearl for his own instruments. I have seen some that have incredible shading and color. He also, somehow, seems to acquire some spectactular wood as well. Couple this with meticulous build and finishing on each and every instrument and you get quite a product no matter what name is put upon it.

adlerburg
Dec-14-2010, 11:19am
I get the feeling he does what's special to him at the time. headstock inlay, woods - top back and neck. binding . keeps you on your toes noticing the difference don't it ? this ones just starting to settle in now.

OMG Herr Doktor! That is just beautiful... lustful... Jeez! What is that, some sort of quilted maple? Is it quartersawn? Flatsawn? There's more drama in there than a soap opera!
-Mickey

Chris Biorkman
Dec-14-2010, 11:54am
Tom uses some incredible wood on his mandolins. My old F-5 had the nicest back of any mandolin I have owned.

Are you thinking about getting an Ellis?

adlerburg
Dec-14-2010, 1:28pm
Tom uses some incredible wood on his mandolins. My old F-5 had the nicest back of any mandolin I have owned.

Are you thinking about getting an Ellis?

I am Chris. I have one in my sights.. Just spoke with Tom. What a great guy! It's a Deluxe. If I am to pull the trigger on it, I'd have to unload my present mandolin... it's matter of dollars and cents... without selling one, I ain't go enough for the other!
-Mickey

frankenstein
Dec-14-2010, 3:40pm
Mickey, I have no idea what kind of maple it is i didn't get an explanation. There is an Ellis A special at Fiddlers Green's site. An A is a good way to get a special, half the cost with all the sound and features. it has the fernpot of which we speak ? I'm also wondering in your OP if you have the pics the right way 'round.

Dan Margolis
Dec-14-2010, 3:50pm
Fiddler's calls it a "fleurn". That particular A Special is made with sugar maple. They also have a used A Custom with a flat fingerboard, also in sugar maple. NFI.

nobullmando74
Dec-14-2010, 4:14pm
I am Chris. I have one in my sights.. Just spoke with Tom. What a great guy! It's a Deluxe. If I am to pull the trigger on it, I'd have to unload my present mandolin... it's matter of dollars and cents... without selling one, I ain't go enough for the other!
-Mickey

Didn't you just get a Collings MF5V ?

ellisppi
Dec-14-2010, 9:19pm
To clear up some questions, there are 2 models Deluxe and Special
The Deluxe has red maple 1 pc back, sides, and neck and B/W purfling on top, back, and peghead.
The Special has sugar maple 1 pc back, sides and neck and B/W purfling on top, back, sides with mitered point protectors, neck sides and peghead side.
I have 6 different peghead inlays for the F's and use 4 of them on both models. Also, there are a dozen or so Deluxes with sugar maple and a couple of Specials with Red maple. The special bubble blister maple on Frankenstein's is VERY RARE old growth sugar maple rarely found with this figure.6591265913

Chris Biorkman
Dec-14-2010, 9:59pm
I think it should be added that at the prices Tom charges, these are far and away the best deal in high-end mandolins out there. You'll be challenged to find a better mandolin at any price.

Glassweb
Dec-14-2010, 10:18pm
I agree with Chris. Plus, Tom is a true gentleman and a completely straight shooter to boot.

frankenstein
Dec-15-2010, 2:07am
Thanks Mr.E.

red7flag
Dec-15-2010, 9:43am
Tom is a gem. He has been great to talk to, work with and a joy just to spend time with. Every year at IBMA, I enjoy a visit to his booth. He always does something to make it special. Last year he brought an oval for me to play. After testing out the oval, he handed me a instrument and said something like "Try this old thing" with a twinkle in his eye. I looked down and to my surprise there was a very old F5 Gibson. "Is this what I think it is?" I asked. He just smiled. Tom, you are special. I have to say that my Ellis sounds better than his Loar, my my Ellis gets played a lot and his Loar sits in a safe. Thanks Tom.

mritter
Dec-15-2010, 8:02pm
Mickey,
Look at the photo album in my profile and you'll see the two that I own. I've bought, sold, and traded a few mandolins in the past...like most others here.

These two Ellis instruments will be with me for a long, long time. I don't see any reason to look further. I am very happy with them. I'm sure you will be too.

frankenstein
Dec-16-2010, 1:55am
Nice pair.

red7flag
Dec-16-2010, 7:03am
I think what I find so amazing about the Ellis instruments I have played is that they play so easy like a Collings, but have a soul about the tone, a complexity that is hard to explain. They sound great out of the box, but after about 6 months you can hear a change and a depth develop. Just a wonderful instrument. By the way Frank, the wood on yours is true drool material.

Dan Margolis
Dec-16-2010, 10:08am
I've had my A for almost ten weeks, and it definitely sounds better than when I received it. I'm looking forward to hearing it develop over time.

Capt. E
Dec-16-2010, 10:29am
It is interesting that you compare Ellis to Collings. Many people don't know that Tom Ellis and Bill Collings (along with Mike Stevens) started together back in the late 70's, their work benches side by side in South Austin; Ellis making mandolins, Collings making guitars. So, whom influenced whom? I suspect it is a mutual admiration society.

Martin Stevens
Dec-16-2010, 1:35pm
Although it has already been cleared up, I'd just like to reiterate that the two pictures at the beginning of the thread aren't labeled correctly.. I have a deluxe and it doesn't have a flower pot. The differences are else-where :)

And yes.. You won't find a nicer mando or a nicer builder anywhere.

adlerburg
Dec-16-2010, 1:39pm
Although it has already been cleared up, I'd just like to reiterate that the two pictures at the beginning of the thread aren't labeled correctly.. I have a deluxe and it doesn't have a flower pot. The differences are else-where :)

And yes.. You won't find a nicer mando or a nicer builder anywhere.

I believe they are accurate, as the left one marked "Deluxe" with the Flowerpot only has triple binding on top, whereas the "Special" headstock on the right (if you look close) has triple binding on both the top AND the side.