PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie tearing up Rawhide

John Hill
Dec-12-2010, 3:44pm
Hey, who couldn't use another video of Rawhide. Ronnie McCoury on this one playing some really wild licks and flat out smoking on the Loar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKEzV3ZVKfY

JeffD
Dec-12-2010, 5:50pm
I could smell the wood burning!

Bernie Daniel
Dec-12-2010, 6:36pm
Cool & pretty insane alright!!-- what is the high note he gets there on his second break? -- looks like 12th fret on the E-course? Anyway for a bit there I was thinking I could say the only reason I can't play it just as well is that I have a Sam Bush model -- but I guess I can't use that excuse. So back to the old tried and true deficit of talent excuse I guess. :crying:

Willie Poole
Dec-12-2010, 7:09pm
Great, Just like I taught him to do it....well, almost.....

TurboMick
Dec-12-2010, 7:33pm
That boy is good.

Austin Koerner
Dec-12-2010, 7:42pm
He even makes rawhide sound good!

Jason Kessler
Dec-13-2010, 1:21pm
Yikes!

JeffD
Dec-13-2010, 1:27pm
And add Ricky

8uIxJFZoCxM

And add Andy (check out his magic at the 2 minute mark)

PMqFOQ8LvTY

AlanN
Dec-14-2010, 8:38am
I admire Ronnie for continuing to pick this number regularly, paying tribute to the composer. At one point in this performance, the band's rhythm plods a bit.

Ed Goist
Dec-14-2010, 10:58am
Hey, who couldn't use another video of Rawhide. Ronnie McCoury on this one playing some really wild licks and flat out smoking on the Loar...snipped video...

Outrageous! The speed, clean technique and clarity on those high notes in the second break is just off the hook! What a player.
I am definitely Not Worthy!

tree
Dec-14-2010, 12:32pm
I admire Ronnie for continuing to pick this number regularly, paying tribute to the composer. At one point in this performance, the band's rhythm plods a bit.

Yep. Though in all fairness, for Rawhide to sound "right" at speed, the rhythm has to be pretty much perfect - every instrument - and that is a LOT easier to say than it is to do consistently. If there is any margin for error, it would be just slightly ahead of the beat (where Kentucky Thunder lives).

I found it interesting that Del does his rhythm brushes on 1 & 3, right along with the bass fiddle, where Bryan Sutton picks bass notes on 1 & 3 and does his rhythm brushes on 2 & 4. Sutton (my opinion) deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Rice for his inhuman rhythm chops, feel and touch.

Willie Poole
Dec-14-2010, 1:06pm
Alan, I also thought that when the banjo came in to take his break that the timing was rough, I didn`t dare post it because I didn`t want to sound negative to such a great picker and band and have people jump on me.....At least there is three of us that agree on that point.....Willie

BBK
Dec-15-2010, 11:29am
Now that's pickin'............

John Adrihan
Dec-15-2010, 7:01pm
He dosen't seemed concerned with "click pick":grin:

Skip Kelley
Dec-16-2010, 3:34pm
It's all in the right hand! Makes me wish I had it!:)