PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a Gibson Alrite

js71
Dec-10-2010, 1:44pm
I just stumbled upon a Gibson Alrite mandolin at an estate sale in Atlanta for 50 bucks. I was shocked. I know it's not the most desirable instrument ever made, but it is a great find. I think they were made in 1917 and preceded the Army Navy model. It needs a little work done, but overall, its pretty good. It still has the pick-guard and tailpiece. The inside label is in excellent shape. What is the best thing to do with an old find like this?

MikeEdgerton
Dec-10-2010, 2:36pm
Play it. You got it at a good price. Congratulations.

Capt. E
Dec-10-2010, 6:23pm
I don't know about "preceeding" the Army/Navy. I believe the Alrite was made at the same time and dressed up a bit more for the domestic market. Great find. I also suggest you put it in playing shape (light strings) and enjoy it.

Steve L
Dec-10-2010, 7:41pm
If there's not a good luthier/shop near you, maybe send it to Big Joe or someone to have it checked out and set up. A Gibson for 50 bucks is worth a bit of expert shop time. If it's in decent shape, play it!

Paul Hostetter
Dec-10-2010, 8:28pm
The Alright Style D preceded the Army-Navy mandolins (http://www.retrofret.com/Products.asp?ProductID=3994), by a short year. I'd love to see an Alright Style C or E.