PDA

View Full Version : Strap clasp

BBK
Dec-08-2010, 9:06pm
I have a nice mando braded leather strap I bought from L. Dudenbostel's daughter a number of years ago. The flat piece at the bottom of the strap, with the holes to go over the end pin, is very narrow and I'm concerned it may slip off the end pin and.......down goes the mandolin.

Does anyone know if a clasp or keeper is available to secure the thin/narrow leather strap to the end pin?

If I can't find something, I think I'll look for another strap or possibly talk with a leather maker to change out the bottom strap.:mandosmiley:

thanks........

George R. Lane
Dec-08-2010, 9:33pm
Take a leather shoelace and run it thought the hole and then tie it around the endpin. That is what I did and have never had a problem.

Lee Callicutt
Dec-08-2010, 10:15pm
Perhaps inelegant -- but highly effective -- toilet tank washers with a slight cross-cut to allow the hole to enlarge enough to slip over the strap button, make for very sturdy and secure strap locks and don't look bad at all as they are black and tend to recede from the eye into the strap itself.

mandroid
Dec-08-2010, 10:19pm
Bread bag closure tabs.

a bit of leather boot lace, passing around the tailpiece and back to the strap
can be done .

chronically a sub rocket science thinker :whistling:..

Big Joe
Dec-08-2010, 11:08pm
You can use a piece of fishing line as well. Get a piece of braided line in a good heavy strength and tie it to the hole and then tie it to the end pin then insert the pin into the mandolin. This will keep it from coming off the end pin. Just make sure the end pin is secure. The fishing line is much thinner than a shoe lace, and should handle the stress even better.

BBK
Dec-08-2010, 11:30pm
Hey guys -- thanks for all the good ideas. There are certainly some I'll consider.

Tom Wright
Dec-08-2010, 11:45pm
I had this suggestion (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?66294-25-cent-Straplok), which was topped by bunches of other great ideas. My favorite is the Grolsz beer rubber washer.

There are commercial StrapLoks, too.